Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    There are large gaps in how Krakoa was founded, and we won't know the details for years so don't assume everything you see is what you're getting.
    And that's why I'm not rushing to judgement. Something is up? Something is fishy? Many people are acting out of character?

Yes. It's a story. And I have no idea how it ends, yet.

So far, it's got an amazing far-reaching epic kind of scale and scope to it, and I do not think for a second that Hickman 'hasn't thought about' any of these quibbles or doubts or apparent inconsistencies.

I do think that he just hasn't taken me aside and told me how it ends yet. I guess I'm going to have to wait, and, until that time, judge for myself whether the story itself is entertaining / engaging enough without knowing how it ends in advance to continue reading it. (Signs point to 'yes.')

This isn't a blanket situation, tho. I have, plenty of times, abandoned a story because how it wasn't interesting in the moment. If the ride's no fun, a great destination isn't worth six months of drek getting there. I can just read about the great ending later. But in this case, I'm enjoying the ride.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

May your journey continue to be a favourable and enjoyable one...with many side-stops at the Green Lagoon.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    …I do not think for a second that Hickman 'hasn't thought about' any of these quibbles or doubts or apparent inconsistencies.……
    There's also the possibility that he noticed the quibbles and so on… and he doesn't give a damn.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Do you remember all the discussions about "Hickman is ignoring the soul issue" and then Nightcrawler philosophized about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Do you remember all the discussions about "Hickman is ignoring the soul issue" and then Nightcrawler philosophized about it?
    You mean that Hickman reads CBR forum ?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    we've seen characters who are uncomfortable with it but accept it bc they still believe its for a purpose bigger than themselves (Wolverine, Polaris, Kwannon, etc.)
    I have seen what Wolverine thinks and I would agree in terms of him. For Kwannon I can't say. Though for Lorna they haven't given us enough for me to agree or disagree. I have the feeling that might change come August and September though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    No "May Be..."

Unless you have proof(heck, anything like a bit of evidence...) that it is happening, then it actually is speculation.

No "May Be..."
    It is all speculation, but you're not getting that your also doing speculation. People are acting as if we saw all the gaps in how Krakoa was founded when we haven't. And it's Hickman, have you ever read anything with Hickman's wrote?

No one has forgotten who he is.

He is the guy who has saved the world on at least a few occasions that we know of.
    So you know he's a monster and want to ignore what he is anyway. By those standards Dr. Doom is a hero, since we're ignoring all the times he was a villain.

Astonishing Member

I'm done with wasting my time with Steel Inquisitor's headcanon.
    Don't project, I'm not the one arguing about head canon. I don't pretend that the blank slate areas in Krakoa is proof of what I think happened, but I do read interviews of Hickman and recognise how he writes stories. You don't have to be a psychic to know where this is going. Here I thought you wanted a discussion but all you wanted was someone who agrees with you on everything. How boring.

Let me guess, you agree with the people who were lionising Apocalypse as if he was the next Captain America.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 07-04-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    You mean that Hickman reads CBR forum ?
    No, but there is a lot of readers who are impatient and want to have all the answers now.

Ultimate Member

No, but there is a lot of readers who are impatient and want to have all the answers now.
    To be fair to the other side, we have gotten burned in the past by writers who showed up with a big splash, pushed over all the applecarts, and then snuck away giggling, resolving exactly none of the story beats they'd set up.

So it isn't entirely unfair of X-Men readers to feel like the promise of an amazing resolution to the story is worth exactly nothing, when there are writers like Bendis out there who have conditioned us to expect exactly nothing but disappointment from big starts.

Hickman's inheriting a gun-shy audience that can be slow to trust the writing, again.

Astonishing Member

It's not just about wanting answers, it's knowing there are answers to questions which we haven't gotten yet. You're acting like you know the whole story behind Krakoa when you don't. Like I said, taking everything at face value. And read Hickman's other works and his interviews.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

To be fair to the other side, we have gotten burned in the past by writers who showed up with a big splash, pushed over all the applecarts, and then snuck away giggling, resolving exactly none of the story beats they'd set up.

So it isn't entirely unfair of X-Men readers to feel like the promise of an amazing resolution to the story is worth exactly nothing, when there are writers like Bendis out there who have conditioned us to expect exactly nothing but disappointment from big starts.

Hickman's inheriting a gun-shy audience that can be slow to trust the writing, again.
    But HiX-Man hasn't "promised" us anything.
    And we have very little clue as to how this will all turn out at the end of his run. (Though we've speculated quite a bit, either way.)
    It's far less "trust" issues and much more "I disagree with everything HiX-Man has written so far" issues.

I bailed very early on into the Utopia relationship...I liked his attitude and his spontaneity (moving to San Francisco to inhabit Magneto's old rock (why does that sound vaguely familiar?) was ballsy but I hated his untidiness and I no longer found him attractive...and I was no longer his number one fan. I could have stayed and kept on whining and moaning about how unhappy I was and how he was neglecting me but...we had just grown apart in different directions. And I had to accept that.

He came back into my life years later...a little more mature, different, changed. And we gave it another go.

As painful as it is...It's okies to just be honest with yourself and admit that the relationship has run its course and it's time to simply move on.
    Maybe someday your lover will change his ways and beg you to take him back.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    It's not just about wanting answers, it's knowing there are answers to questions which we haven't gotten yet. You're acting like you know the whole story behind Krakoa when you don't. Like I said, taking everything at face value. And read Hickman's other works and his interviews.
    You really shouldn't have to read outside works to understand what's going on in a story.

The X-men have been HORRIBLE about writers with huge ideas that never pay off for decades worth of comics.

Plus, saying "it'll all pay off in the end," doesn't really mean a lot if the story sucks right now. if you don't like what's going on, why would you even want to stick around for the end?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    You really shouldn't have to read outside works to understand what's going on in a story.
    With many writers this is true, Hickman is an exemption. He's a writer with very specific themes and structures in his stories, despite not saying anything out loud it's not hard to see where he wants to go.

The X-men have been HORRIBLE about writers with huge ideas that never pay off for decades worth of comics.

Plus, saying "it'll all pay off in the end," doesn't really mean a lot if the story sucks right now. if you don't like what's going on, why would you even want to stick around for the end?
    Yup. This is an exception with Hickman, for now, due to how much influence he has behind the scenes but once Marvel wants to do something else everything is up for grabs. They might try to emulate his vision with their own direction or do something radically new, and if it goes back to editorial having a strong hands what their vision is for the franchise won't matter. I don't they think they realise how chaotic comics can be behind the scenes, especially on A-list titles like Spider-man and X-men. They assume what Hickman's doing is normal, and the irony is I read an interview weeks ago with Rosenberg where he says that he was ordered by Hickman to make the X-men as oppressed and hopeless as possible to build up his run, which everyone complains about so Hickman was utilising his influence even before he started publishing his run.

There were a few people in House of X # 1 outraged that they hadn't explained how Banshee had been resurrected.

I maintain my position that there are many comic readers who are unable to wait.