Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    The Dream sucks ass so Moira made him drop it. Simple as that.
    Ode to Empress Lilandra
    by Charles Xavier

whenas in silks my psionic body flows
    far from this world of weary woes...

*huh!

Well that woke me up.

...still want to make a rhyme, but, no time, um, damnit,

she opened her mind

Yup. Absolutely. Gotta get some real work done.
    Last edited by sungila; 10-25-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

I can't help but get the impression that most that are using the Xavier/MLK allegory truly fail to understand MLK's depth as far as his work and philosophy or they only accept the interpretation of MLK's philosophy that has been heavily whitewashed. I also don't see how people are seeing Charles's speech as depressing. For me, it shows someone that is shouldering the load that is the responsibility for keeping his people safe and after finding out that he has continuously led his people into the metaphoric burning house, has decided to change tactics that are producing results that will last.

Integration is, ultimately, a luxury, not a necessity in the short term. Whether or not coexistence is possible, in the long run, depends if whether or not flatscans learn how to behave and play nice with their mutant and superpowered neighbors.
    Mutant and Proud
    Krakoa FOREVER!!!

Read HoX and PoX again. It's pretty obvious what happened to the dream.

Xavier had the impossible dream...then his group/race took a few genocides to the knees.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Xavier had the impossible dream...then his group/race took a few genocides to the knees.
    I still don't think it's impossible.

Has coexistence ever been possible without conflict before in the entire history of mankind? Has any group ever gained recognition and rights without fighting for them? Even now I have the impression that if atomic bombs did not exist the war between the most powerful countries in the world would have continued until the near destruction of humanity such is human nature.

Right now if you look around the world is full of conflict and war where millions lose their lives, starve or die of treatable diseases. All this while a portion of the world watches as if none of this was their problem. For many it is like a conflict that happens far away from them and is of no importance to them either because they are simply not the rejected or excluded or the ones being marginalized or anyone in their family. Sometimes it is necessary for the fight to hit them in some way for the problem to be taken seriously or recognized by authorities. Revolutions have their price but it is a way of causing change by forcing a possible change forcing everyone to look at the problem Krakoa represents this a change in the status quo.

Changing the subject someone here knows mahouka koukou no rettousei ? Is a work that closely resembles the X-men and mutants in various ways. In this universe, wizards are treated as weapons and ordinary people fear them. In the last volume I found something interesting in a very familiar passage:

In Germany and France, on the initiative of the government, collars are being developed to neutralize the wearer with electroshock if signs of activation of magic are noticed. At the end of the development, the law is likely to be passed requiring all magicians to wear these collars. Many European countries, with the exception of Britain, will follow this example, and ultimately, this idea will spread throughout the world.

It's worth noting that many of the same atrocities are happening to others than mutants. Captain America has human prisoners and undocumented immigrants being experimented on when they're not being slaughtered. Iron Man has sentient A.I. being treated as slaves or destroyed en masse. Invaders has Atlanteans being killed as part of pre-emptive strikes. It's not just mutants that humans are destroying, it's everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It's worth noting that many of the same atrocities are happening to others than mutants. Captain America has human prisoners and undocumented immigrants being experimented on when they're not being slaughtered. Iron Man has sentient A.I. being treated as slaves or destroyed en masse. Invaders has Atlanteans being killed as part of pre-emptive strikes. It's not just mutants that humans are destroying, it's everybody.
    And that's why I ALWAYS rooted for Magneto/the Brotherhood/Acolytes/Apocalypse when they tried their hand at flatscan hunting. I just don't see any redeeming qualities in human characters in the MU.
    Mutant and Proud
    Krakoa FOREVER!!!

This topic came to my mind over the weekend as I was rereading Schism. That moment when Idie is at the Mutant Museum and sees the pic of Xavier and the O5 and asks "Wait...why are they smiling?" A powerful commentary/update on the trajectory of Xavier's dream.

Quote Originally Posted by JTFSXX View Post
    One of the things that first drew me to the X-Men comics was the idealism of Xavier's dream of Mutants and Humans living together in peace. It has been fascinating to watch over the years how that dream has flourished, floundered, and at times crumbled as it came into contact with the reality of prejudice and fear and as the author of the dream himself has demonstrated his own shortcomings. As the X-Men move once again into an era of segregation, I am wondering......what role does that vision play in the life of the current Mutant community? Has it been entirely set-aside? Does it still motivate some members of the community? Is there still hope in it?
    Yes, there is. As long as there are mutants and sapiens willing to fight for coexistence, there is hope in that particular dream.
    Sadly to your other questions, all we can answer is "we Don't know yet" which is frustrating at the very least.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Xaviers dream of human/mutant coexistence isn't dead in Krakoa and if you look carefully thats not what he said. What is dead and gone is the hope that he could freely give mutant gifts (Krakoan medication) in the hope of fostering harmony.

"In the past they would have been a gift. Something freely given by me -- to you-- because I believed it would create harmony between our two peoples. That was my dream --harmony-- but you have taught me a harsh lesson: that dream was a lie. You see all I ever wanted was peace between humans and mutants. All I ever wanted was to love you and for you to love us. We wanted to save you --and we did, many times-- but in return all you did was stand by while evil men killed our children. Over 16 million of them. So there will be no gift... for you have not earned it. We will however let you pay for it."
    The X-Men are still fighting for for a world of peaceful integration, but from a place of safety for all mutants not just the select few living in a fortress mansion and making the humans earn the gifts they offer. Its a more pragmatic approach but the end goal is still the same. Commercial coexistence is still peaceful coexistence.
    Last edited by Kisinith; 10-28-2019 at 12:36 PM.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

How many years will that last in terms of publication? Can that feasibly be the new default setting for "X-Men," with everything that came before reduced to being laughed at as "Early Installment Weirdness"?

Every time the word dream is mentioned in the X-forums since the HoxPoxDox began, this plays in my head.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

While some look suspiciously on the new X-men course, sales are still well overtaking or match up to Batman, something that hasn't happened in years .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    How many years will that last in terms of publication? Can that feasibly be the new default setting for "X-Men," with everything that came before reduced to being laughed at as "Early Installment Weirdness"?
    Who is "laughing" at the past? The books changed. They needed to, badly.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

You and I are cursed not to agree on interpretations. Hickman told true that the HoxPoxDox will cause epic loggerheads of opinions.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.