Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Should there be more focus on pro-mutant humans?

Now, I want to make this perfectly clear: pro-mutant humans exist within Earth-616. That is fact. Even counting Moira being mutant all along, they have been a thing since the Claremont days:

And to also be clear, they are still around even now: Bendis's run on Uncanny and Grace's run on Iceman both had mutant pride parades with human allies. Even PoX/HoX have some.

But it seems like no one knows they actually exist. Does there need to be more focus on them, showing them battling the racist humans instead of only showing the racist humans, or showing them as being so small they may as well not exist, or do they need emphasis on existing, even if it's mutants doing all the hard stuff?

BANNED

Yeah, definitely; like not whole issues dedicated to them necessarily, but enough exhibited to show the nuance of the situation.

I am sure that there are many denizens of the Marvel Universe who are pro-mutant, but we don't see them or know it from what we have been shown. Yes, yes, show us some pro-mutant humans.

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

Of course. If humans were uniformly evil then not only would that make the premise of the X-Men meaningless but it would break the heroic themes of the rest of the Marvel Universe as well. What would be the point of admiring heroes like Spider-Man if the people he saves are just evil mutant hating bigots.

Extraordinary Member

Yes...more pro-mutant humans would be good. I remember at the beginning the Operation:Zero Tolerance storyline they showed a couple of Japanese descent who remembered being locked up during WW2 and were worried by an anti-mutant news report and a bunch of rednecks cheering it on.

Yes. The books are horribly inbalanced in this regards. Not everyone hates mutants

The X-Men comics are about the mutants, within the whole species, that are dedicated to dealing with those who hate them. It's natural the inbalance. Just as if a comic were about forensic doctors all the time we would be seeing dead people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    The X-Men comics are about the mutants, within the whole species, that are dedicated to dealing with those who hate them. It's natural the inbalance. Just as if a comic were about forensic doctors all the time we would be seeing dead people.
    That doesn't mean the concept shouldn't be challenged now and then? Or offered some sort of reprieve to help advance it? I mean, let's face it, no matter how many steps forward progress makes there's always gonna be set-backs.

I personally don't read X-Men for humans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    No, but it doesn't mean that we should dismiss the idea that there's some helping to fight in the mutant's corner. Even just having a small audience of humans cheering for the X-Men could help.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Well, of course no one wants the spotlight to be taken away from the main attraction. But like someone wrote earlier, it would be nice for humans to be portrayed with the nuance we deserve. I get sick of of being depicted as a combination of a raging Klansman circa Alabama 1955, and a neanderthal.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Why can’t black movies be more focused on white saviours?

Yes, at least one or two feel good tales from humanity

And ffs, I was led to believe that these were high-flying excelsiors that inspired people,

I wanna see a child clutch a Kurt plushie looking out to the night sky, with tear filled eyes, reaffirming to mommy "I do believe in elfs mommy, I do, I do"

Mommy could then toot, with a blush, she'd say "did you hear the bamf, sweetpea?"

"Mommy, don't be silly" the girl would respond "that's racist, Kurt smells of rose blossom when he bamfs, He's a Hero"

And then there are people like Sadie Sinclair, the Mayor of San Fran, come to think of it, wouldn't the mutants of made themselves indispensable by now, in communities, on projects and builds. I'll stop pullin' on those threads right now.

I pick up X-Men comics to get away from the nonmutant shenanigans in the MU. Besides, why put some focus on a group that ultimately refuse to affect things for the oppressed?
    Mutant and Proud
    Krakoa FOREVER!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Fang X View Post
    I pick up X-Men comics to get away from the nonmutant shenanigans in the MU. Besides, why put some focus on a group that ultimately refuse to affect things for the oppressed?
    But, like, if the pro-mutant stance was explored even in one panel then surely that would show that they're trying to affect things? Hell...maybe we have them do something about the oppression...? It doesn't have to be a whole issue, just y'know? Let's throw some more mutant-love out there!