Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Lesser known retcons you don’t like

That means the common examples that everybody talks about all the time are not to be included. What lesser known retcons to the mythos are you not fond of? Me personally, what I would say are the retcons to make Chameleon and Kraven brothers and also to make Rhino Russian all of the sudden. Neither of these I think were necessary changes to make.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Fantastic Member

The Burglar robbing the Parker house later being explained as a pre-meditated attempt to find buried gangster treasure. Unnecessary!

Yeah that wasn’t needed though it doesn’t bug me as much as the other stuff or the retcon that Sandman was actually the killer in the Raimi movies. Though speaking of Sandman I also wish they hadn’t changed it and said Baker was his real name.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 10-26-2019 at 07:30 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    That means the common examples that everybody talks about all the time are not to be included. What lesser known retcons to the mythos are you not fond of? Me personally, what I would say are the retcons to make Chameleon and Kraven brothers and also to make Rhino Russian all of the sudden. Neither of these I think were necessary changes to make.
    Rhino's first two encounters against heroes, Spider-Man and Hulk, was courtesy of being suited by Red Communists.

I'd assume it was only after that, after a dozen subsequent Rhino yarns, in which he was under-written only as bulldozing muscle, before somebody remembered "He was originally a weapon from the Communists".
    Last edited by ngroove; 10-26-2019 at 08:36 AM.

He always just seems like a dumb criminal they picked up though. Speech patterns didn’t indicate he was Russian and he didn’t seem smart enough to learn an American accent.

Incredible Member

One retcon I don't like: Otto Octavius' parents.

First time read for me, Spider-Man Unlimited #18. Issue #3, in which it first depicted, was serviceable, but #18, being a few years later, with better expressive emotions, slightlty better.

Infuriates me with emotions every time, but I suppose its purpose would be to further emphasize Otto with "Where he came from".

- Otto's father extremely physically, emotionally, and psychologicaly berating Otto to "Man Up"
    - Otto's mother oversmothering Otto.
    - Otto's mother forbidding Otto's marriage of Mary Alice, only for sneaking a date for herself on the side

All flashbacks where Norman Osborn was mad before the Goblin Serum.

Incredible Member

Or, how many Spider-Characters had abusive / negligent fathers?

- Mary Jane Watson
    - Norman Osborn
    - Harry Osborn
    - Otto Octavius
    - Eddie Brock
    - Flash Thompson

I even recall, in just one issue of Tangled Web, a few years before Brand New Day, J Jonah Jameson's father was jerkish. High point of that issue though, Jonah fell in love with Joan the moment she stood up to him.

Astonishing Member

I didn’t like the “I always knew you were Spider-Man” retcons.

It felt like ways to sidestep Peter actually having to tell people himself and going through the motions.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    Or, how many Spider-Characters had abusive / negligent fathers?

- Mary Jane Watson
    - Norman Osborn
    - Harry Osborn
    - Otto Octavius
    - Eddie Brock
    - Flash Thompson

I even recall, in just one issue of Tangled Web, a few years before Brand New Day, J Jonah Jameson's father was jerkish. High point of that issue though, Jonah fell in love with Joan the moment she stood up to him.
    It’s funny. Traits like these are why Greg Weisman decided that Harry’s mom had to be alive. If she wasn’t, then the main trio would all come from broken homes. His life is hardly perfect but at least she didn’t conveniently die due to some vague thing.

Well Harry’s mom is alive now as it was retconned that she faked her death at the end of Slott’s series.

I hate show Donny Cates practically retconned Venom to have impregnated Anne Weying without her consent (practically making a rape allegory in the way)

In general I very much dislike how toxic he made the relationship between Venom and Eddie and tried to put a lot of blame on the Symbiote. But this one is what really takes the cake. Especially when you read back when she bonded and how she described it. Again, its practically a rape allegory.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It’s funny. Traits like these are why Greg Weisman decided that Harry’s mom had to be alive. If she wasn’t, then the main trio would all come from broken homes. His life is hardly perfect but at least she didn’t conveniently die due to some vague thing.
    Kinda sad that all her role was be there sometimes.

Weird that he just didn't make Gwen's mother be alive though, it'd be easier since Gwen not having a mother never was a problem for her or George in the comics, and Harry's mother being alive didn't change his family dynamic at all, so her role was just "Don't make Harry's family be lacking someone" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    I hate show Donny Cates practically retconned Venom to have impregnated Anne Weying without her consent (practically making a rape allegory in the way)

In general I very much dislike how toxic he made the relationship between Venom and Eddie and tried to put a lot of blame on the Symbiote. But this one is what really takes the cake. Especially when you read back when she bonded and how she described it. Again, its practically a rape allegory.
    Makes you wonder why the symbiote even did that, like, what's the point? Lol

It'd be much less dumb to just say she was pregnant from Eddie and then decided it'd be too dangerous to have a kid around Venom, but no, Cates just had to make the symbiote be a bigger *******, and then he made that whole "symbiote was lying to Eddie all along" bullshit.

Speaking of that, I don't like the retcon he made to Eddie's father, him being abusive by being distant was more interesting, since it gave some gray area for Eddie's father, but then he was just violent towards Eddie, I have the same issues with Norman and Harry, he was distant, but he thought what he was doing was right, he was a **** parent unintentionally.

Also Jameson’s abusive father was retconned into being his uncle and stepfather while his birth father had abandoned him and his mother. Though I’m convinced most of that retcon was them wanting to put anther J in his initials.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Makes you wonder why the symbiote even did that, like, what's the point? Lol

It'd be much less dumb to just say she was pregnant from Eddie and then decided it'd be too dangerous to have a kid around Venom, but no, Cates just had to make the symbiote be a bigger *******, and then he made that whole "symbiote was lying to Eddie all along" bullshit".
    Exactly my point. In fact my first read of that issue was that. That she was pregnant from Eddie but never told him and was dissuaded even more by Venom bonding with her. But no, I re-read it again and it was indeed the case that the Symbiote somehow impregnated her. Charging a scene that didn't have it before with a rape undertone. Think about it, really, Venom RAPED Anne for no reason. Literally no reason.

The lying thing was...I mean...Jeez. Really. How he managed to demonize the Symbiote from years after years of having his entire run with Flash devoted to showing how Venom wasn't evil, how it was just bad hosts not allowing the Symbiote to be the hero it wanted to be. Bam. All gone. Even if Venom legit gaslighted him like that, he should have revealed it as soon as it got the chance. I don't know...I really don't like how he writes their relationship at times. It's just too toxic. There wasn't anything to touch there but he just shoehorned the drama