Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bigger threat tot the universe. Doom or Thanos.

A little while back I did a thread where I asked who was the biggest threat to the Marvel Universe Magneto or Dr Doom. A few people on the thread compared Dooms threat level to that of Thanos. So I thought I would ask who is the bigger threat between Thanos and Dr Doom?

The other thread had a pretty good debate. I would love to see that here. Have fun.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I'd say Thanos. While Doom is, perhaps, a more dangerous villain, he's not actually that ambitious. With one exception (which could be considered a technicality) Victor has never shown interest in ruling any planet other than Earth.

Thanos, OTOH, regularly plots to rule and/or destroy the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Beware Of Geek View Post
    I'd say Thanos. While Doom is, perhaps, a more dangerous villain, he's not actually that ambitious. With one exception (which could be considered a technicality) Victor has never shown interest in ruling any planet other than Earth.

Thanos, OTOH, regularly plots to rule and/or destroy the universe.
    Adding to this I think that Thanos is more a "threat" since Doom actually wants to rule earth to save it (from his point of view). Thanos not only want get the universe but he wants to destroy half of it to please his "loved". Between both I would pick the one with a better health assurance system.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    Adding to this I think that Thanos is more a "threat" since Doom actually wants to rule earth to save it (from his point of view). Thanos not only want get the universe but he wants to destroy half of it to please his "loved". Between both I would pick the one with a better health assurance system.
    Yeah, there's a reason Doom will fight with the heroes against Thanos. Even by hero standards Doom is the lesser of evils.

I was thinking bout this a bit ... and came to a weird conclusion: Doom is the _actual_ Batman analog in Marvel. His powers boil down to "I'm Doom". He's absurdly smart with god level plot armor attributed to him thinking a thousand steps ahead (It's just another Doombot!) This lets him have Near richards IQ, near Stark level armor, can learn near Strange level magic, it just goes on and on. The biggest thing holding back this otherwise mere "mortal among gods" is his own ideals ... like batman. Otherwise his plot armor lets him scale to universal power levels as needed.

This makes him ridiculous to gauge as a threat. In fact, I think if we spun this question slightly differently Doom would win. Pretend for a moment there was something both Thanos and Doom wanted the same maguffin. Would you bet against Doom? I dont know that I would.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    I was going to say the same thing. For all his faults, Doom is more of a social animal than Thanos. I think Thanos would be perfectly happy in the cold vacuum of nothingness if Lady Death were there. Though Doom has lead a solitary life, without any close relatives (his American cousin Bob Doom the dentist doesn't count), Doom does have some people around him. We've seen Boris is still around and Doom has given Petra his daughter a role in his staff. His ego requires an audience. I think Thanos is more likely to blow everything up

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    This makes him ridiculous to gauge as a threat. In fact, I think if we spun this question slightly differently Doom would win. Pretend for a moment there was something both Thanos and Doom wanted the same maguffin. Would you bet against Doom? I dont know that I would.
    I would. It's been done. Doom lost. See Marvel: The End.

Eh, Doom seems to be mostly an opportunist compared to Thanos. Some characters who would crush Doom like an ant if they focused on him are fighting each other or otherwise occupied, and Doom comes in on the side and takes advantage. Thanos is a threat without needing to sneak in sideways.

I'd be more afraid of Thanos than Doom in real life. While many have argued that Thanos is not "evil" I see him as a powerful demi-god version of a Jihadist zealot bent on whipping out all life just to please the god he worships. Doom? It seems as long as you do as he says then you'll be good. Also Thanos seems to have gotten more eviler and ruthless in comics unlike his classic self under Stalin.

BANNED

Doom wants to rule the world/universe which means he is willing to protect/defend/save it so that there would be one for him to rule.

Thanos though is a total nihilist. He prefers slaughter to conquest. He has no ideas for government, society, and rule.

It depends on how you measure "threats"...I'd say Thanos is the greater existential threat albeit highly mercurial and eccentric (he's insane so sometimes he'd get bored/distracted from his grand plans to do something petty), whereas Doom is the greater political threat who also has rational goals and consistent practices albeit he too has a mercurial and eccentric dimension, just not as much as Thanos.

Doom is a political threat. He's of great concern to people and nations of Earth, but no one on the Badoon homeworld, or in the Skrull or Kree Empires is concerned about Victor Von Doom. Thanos is a threat to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Thanos though is a total nihilist. He prefers slaughter to conquest. He has no ideas for government, society, and rule.
    Thanos is not a Nihilist. Nihilism is the belief that morality has no objective existence or deeper meaning. It is perfectly possible for a nihilist to hold to liberal or progressive politics, but they would do so purely because they like the world that results, not because they believe the world that results from such politics is objectively "good" or its opposition "evil".

What Thanos is is a death-worshiper. Being a death-worshiper is completely antithetical to nihilism, as nihilists view death as just as devoid of innate value as everything else.

Going by feats, Thanos.

And yeah, Thanos is not a nihilist. An existentialist perhaps, but not a nihilist.
    Last edited by Magneto; 10-26-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

The Hulk. _______
    Baby Thanos

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Thanos is not a Nihilist. Nihilism is the belief that morality has no objective existence or deeper meaning. It is perfectly possible for a nihilist to hold to liberal or progressive politics, but they would do so purely because they like the world that results, not because they believe the world that results from such politics is objectively "good" or its opposition "evil".

What Thanos is is a death-worshiper. Being a death-worshiper is completely antithetical to nihilism, as nihilists view death as just as devoid of innate value as everything else.
    Didn't think nihilists had an ethos.