Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marvel, Dc, both or neither?

I am sure this has been asked on here dozens of times but I thought I would ask anyway. Are you a fan of Marvel, Dc or neither?
    I started out as a fan of Marvel and moved into Dc. I am a fan of pre crisis Dc. All the reboots and redoing the timeline really get me upset and confused as to where to really start or if it is even smart to start something that wont mean anything when they do another reboot in a couple of years.

Marvel was always more grown up to me. They were fighting super villains and real threats not like fighting the clould people like the Flash did in one story. I found that very cheesey. I enjoy the cheese abit but I enjoy the more grown up stories even more.

I read a ix of both companies with a little Image thrown in. I have a whole stack of Ninja Turtles I have not started yet.

So what company do you go with and why?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Arrow

I follow the books I like from both.

My (perhaps crazy) dream is one day (hopefully in my lifetime) both labels will be controlled by the same company and the massive integration event leads to a new comic book boom period.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

I like both but these days I lean more towards DC and indy books.

I am a fan of comics, i.e. the use of panels and pages to tell stories. Marvel, DC, Indy, Eurocomics, webcomics, small press stuff, vintage comic strips (mostly adventure strips rather than humor but some humor too) doesn't matter as long as its good comics. I was a Marvel Zombie as a kid in the 70s, got into DC in high school in the 80s, then Moore, Miller, Gaiman and such, then Vertigo stuff, then into creators like Eisner, Moebius, McCloud, Druillet, and others, and now publisher only matters if I need to know to order something. There are some current publishers putting out more stuff I like than others, but I don't buy or avoid books based on publisher for the most part (unless it is a sketchy self-publisher I have had problems or issues with). I do think some publishers business models are better than others in terms of reaching readers beyond the direct market, but I do think there needs to be more separation between publishing and content creation as things tend to get murky when businesses try to be both in the current market.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Back when I was a kid, Marvel and DC produced different kinds of stories and sticking with one over the other made more sense to me. As time passed, the styles and depth of storytelling got much closer to where it's now pretty much the same. Sure, there are SERIES published by both which are head and shoulders above the rest, IMHO. But overall, they're very alike. Sure, DC will reboot regularly and Marvel will renumber to celebrate the day ending in Y, but come on. And yes, I'm exaggerating.

Both, although I have drifted more towards one or the other at times over the last 30 years or so. Right now, they're about neck and neck dealing with what's coming up, what's cancelling, and mini-series.

Astonishing Member

Superheroes have never been my favorite genre of comics. I read very few Marvel, some DC, and mainly other publishers.

Neither .
    BB

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Just DC. The rationale behind it genuinely amounted to little more than slightly preferring DC's characters over Marvel's at the time though.

It ultimately benefited me. If I'd been a Marvel reader at the time of the Disney takeover then I'd have had the quandary of potentially putting even more money into Disney's coffers by carrying on supporting the comics. I loathe Disney and so was spared that conundrum.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

I read material from both companies. I check some european material from time to time or things from latinamerica, like El Eternauta, done in Argentina and scripted by one of my favorite writers, Oesterheld, and some manga. But mostly, I read comics published by Marvel and DC because they have the characters I grew up with and I became accustomed to read, so I have a soft spot towards them. But I'm more exigent with my readings from the big two nowadays and I'm more eager to try stuff done in Europe or Latinamerica
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I'm a fan of great comics. Both companies you mentioned are publishing some great comics right now, as well as a bunch of other companies.

Historically DC all the way.

Then a bit later, DC and Marvel - but DC a bit more.

These days I'm drifting away from superheroes, and DC has drifted away from non-superhero comics. Marvel comics have completely lost my interest in the last few years, so DC a bit, but mainly neither.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Marvel's my #1.
    Dynamite is #2.

Nothing from DC for over a year.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Marvel all the way for me.

I mostly read non-superhero books, Dynamite and Image probably being my favourites. However, my superhero collection is all DC except for X-Men, Star Wars and a few miscellaneous things like Foolkiller. Mostly, it's because I just like DC characters more (although I really like Spider-Man and X-Men are my favourite team).
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Now? Neither. I have absolutely no loyalty to any of them.

I'll take a look at whatever the masses considered "good" at the moment. If it grabs me then I'll follow it as long as I'm entertained. The second they put in a shitty artist or turns to SJW garbage I'll drop them.