Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    What are you talking about? Beast wasn't even around. I was referring to the Mr and Mrs X series, which is set at the same time as Age of X-Man.

Cancer? Well at least he won't have had to worry about the chemo side effect, since he's already bald!
    she hadnt been using it long term in MMX and considering she looks to be in some type of health predicament in Excalibur, that may be the reprecussions of it

Mighty Member

Maybe we can think of Power dampening either impacting biology or energy systems. I mean if psionic energy is based on the EM spectrum(that seems to be the marvel way of framing it), then thinking of jammers isnt that bad. We can jam cell phone signals etc so ..or even thinking about how certain environment inhibit signals could also play a role in the dampening of some powers. I think powers like Storm,Magneto are a bit harder as they control the very thing that is trying to Block them so they can push back.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Maybe we can think of Power dampening either impacting biology or energy systems. I mean if psionic energy is based on the EM spectrum(that seems to be the marvel way of framing it), then thinking of jammers isnt that bad. We can jam cell phone signals etc so ..or even thinking about how certain environment inhibit signals could also play a role in the dampening of some powers. I think powers like Storm,Magneto are a bit harder as they control the very thing that is trying to Block them so they can push back.
    I can get behind this idea. Psionic energy seems to be a thing in the MU but I think it's separated from the EM spectrum per se, but it's still some form of energy that could be disrupted with the right EM impulses at the right frequency. Or they could just be something that messes up the part of the brain that helps use the powers (we've seen Telepaths block someone's powers the same way).

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    What are you talking about? Beast wasn't even around. I was referring to the Mr and Mrs X series, which is set at the same time as Age of X-Man.
    Only the last few issues were set during AoX. The X-men made several guest appearances in the series. From the very first issue:

It definitely seems like the collar was causing Rogue some issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    I mean, that meme has a point. Rogue's powers are uncontrollable and lethal. Storm's are not.
    Rogue's powers can be controlled and are not always lethal, and Storm's powers can rage out of control and be lethal. It's all psychological.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by magenta View Post
    Only the last few issues were set during AoX. The X-men made several guest appearances in the series. From the very first issue:

haha, I love Hank's sarcasm here, it's so perfect!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Yes, I’ve said this for a long time. It makes Sentinels pointless and stupid.

A villain with a power dampener is a cheap writing shortcut.

The Avengers trapped the X-kids with them during their captivity in AvX, so I doubt they’re radioactive or long-term damaging.
    To be honest, the Sentinels have always sucked, is like trying to kill an ant with a Tank.

They are usefull to capture scare kids and weak mutants, you know, the type of situation in which normal police could work better that a metal monstruosity.

For the stronger ones, they tend to be inefective.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    They never made sense to me. What exactly is inhibiting a mutants power. Now if it was a psionic mutant I can imagine it's sort of confusing their brain or messing with there mind somehow to limit active use of their power but in general it makes no sense to me. I don't understand the fictional science about it. Even watching tas as a kid I couldn't figure it out.
    '

It is an oddity. I could get behind psi-jammers, or even some higher form of psychic blocker that prevented a person from accessing the part of their brain that allowed them to use their power (preventing Kitty from phasing, or Colossus from transforming, or Kurt from teleporting, for instance), but even those sorts of psychic inhibitors would have to be individually tuned to each seperate mutant (since you can be darn skippy that Alex 'flexes' a different part of his brain to fire plasma blasts than Sean does to scream a sonic scream!), and would have zero affect on physical mutations like those of the Angel or the Beast, or on uncontrollable mutations like those of Cyclops or Rogue.

And how would a dampener turn off Colossus' metal body, if he was already transformed? What even happens to someone like Rockslide, who technically wouldn't even exist if his 'power' got turned off (a pile of rocks would fall to the ground, and his soul would go... where?). What happens to Mercury? Does her body mysteriously turn to flesh again, or does she shplorp to the ground as a puddle of toxic no-longer-sentient mercury, and leach away into the groundwater to poison the surroundings?

I'm pretty sure we've now put more thought into how these things work than anyone at Marvel has.

It would make for an interesting story element if some sort of bargain basement mutant power inhibitors only stopped one from using their power, but didn't cause you to mysteriously revert to a non-mutant state, so Mystique or Husk or Colossus or Iceman could be 'frozen' in an altered state, but wouldn't necessarily revert to an utterly powerless human state (or their 'true' form), or if some mutants, whose powers transformed them one time, and then basically stopped doing anything, like the Angel or the Beast, could function fully even when 'inhibited' since the collars do nothing to prevent their physical mutations from working.

(That might be particularly fun for them, if in a group with traditional heavy hitters like Storm and Jean Grey, allowing them to function at 100%, while the former Omegas have to kind of hang back and let them handle the big stuff, for once, since they don't really have powers that can be 'turned off' by that particular tactic.)

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    I have a problem with this kind of technology existing in the Marvel Universe. If it is that easy to take away a mutant's powers then why would mutants be considered such a threat? Why isn't every single Nimrod, sentinel, soldier, or cop equipped with this technology? Chris Claremont introduced inhibitor collars during the Dark Phoenix saga (I think) but he really let the genie out of the bottle with this one.
    In an ideal world, you would have dampening fields in every city, major population centers and existing transportation system. This way, incidents where a mutant awakening his/her power for the first time without being in control of them couldn't factually occur.

Avoiding tragedies such as this one to happen.

Then, you'd have in said cities or in their close vicinity testing centers, where people would come and see if they were active carriers of the X-gene or not.
    And for those who are, they could then be tested on-site, Inside large rooms specifically built to withstand any kind of brute damages done Inside them, and insulated from the dampening fields effect.
    That's how people would manifest their powers for the first time ideally, in a controlled environment, with no civilians being in potential danger of being harmed. Maybe have such tests occurs once a year during teenage years, that would screen nine out of ten unaware mutants.
    For those who tested positive, they could then start the process of getting in touch with the X-Men, in order to learn how to control their newfounds abilities. Or better yet, you could have some X-Men on dispatch in those centers, a couple of time per Week, where they could meet the mutants interested in pursuing such avenue.
    In any case, courses to learn how to control said abilities should be mandatory and the X-Men are the ones with the best credentials in handling such a task.

That's the best way of eliminating the security issue mutant powers' awakening poses in a populated area imo.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    haha, I love Hank's sarcasm here, it's so perfect!
    But it doesn't make sense, They are tons of reasons that mutants themselves want quality tech for themselves. Take the movie Logan ,Professor Xavier due old age/disease couldn't control his power and he was dangerous. Look at X-men Red 1 where a baby manifested mutant powers and couldn't control it. Look at Matthew Malloy or the mutant manifested in the last issue of X-men gold and later example is more relevant because they had to do surgery on him and most doctors refused because he was a danger in that state he could control his powers. Look at Legion or Jamie Braddock whose mental state was an issue and they should be using their powers. What if mutant gets pregnant or sick that at times cause people to lose control of their themselves at times? What about mutants who can't control their powers like Surge? What about a reckless or rebellious teen with powers? What about someone who sleepwalks or mutant with trama having a bad dream that involtary uses their powers? What about bad mutants who need to restrained?

They are tons of legit reasons not having do with humans fears of them for having effective tech and friendly tech for mutants. Why in the world mutants leave it in the hands of humans? Wouldn't mutants want mutants to be humanely be held? Say a mutant commits a petty crime has to be jail for a couple mutants. It means they have to do with a painful collar? All of other situations I mention as well they also would have to the painful collar. The mythos like to pretend the only reason for mutants to restrained or held in check is because the bad humans want to do that.

I understand why the fiction doesn't want control to be a thing because a story like Scarlet Witch, Matthew Malloy or Legion just becomes put a collar on him. If there is legit safe tech that removes the worry of out of control mutants then little of the hate and fear myth goes away. I think it could be interesting fiction either way but it is easier to write a variety story with less restriction on the world.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-28-2019 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magenta View Post

In issue #6 of MMX, Hank had a change of heart about the need for a power suppressor:

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    In an ideal world, you would have dampening fields in every city, major population centers and existing transportation system. This way, incidents where a mutant awakening his/her power for the first time without being in control of them couldn't factually occur.
    Avoiding tragedies such as this one to happen.
    (pics)
    Then, you'd have in said cities or in their close vicinity testing centers, where people would come and see if they were active carriers of the X-gene or not.
    And for those who are, they could then be tested on-site, Inside large rooms specifically built to withstand any kind of brute damages done Inside them, and insulated from the dampening fields effect.
    That's how people would manifest their powers for the first time ideally, in a controlled environment, with no civilians being in potential danger of being harmed. Maybe have such tests occurs once a year during teenage years, that would screen nine out of ten unaware mutants.
    For those who tested positive, they could then start the process of getting in touch with the X-Men, in order to learn how to control their newfounds abilities. Or better yet, you could have some X-Men on dispatch in those centers, a couple of time per Week, where they could meet the mutants interested in pursuing such avenue.
    In any case, courses to learn how to control said abilities should be mandatory and the X-Men are the ones with the best credentials in handling such a task.

That's the best way of eliminating the security issue mutant powers' awakening poses in a populated area imo.
    Well thought out. Unfortunately the operative words are "ideal world." Like one where Marvel is crossed with either Capcom or DC. Not Marvel alone.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

Tony Stark seems to be taking an alternative tech root to cope with out of control superhuman powers:

Funny thing, though, Rogue has had access to a low-level force field suit since 1997! (Why she hasn't worn it in 20 years, I've haven't a clue.)

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

It made Rogue's power management too convenient and trivialized! No risk, no potential for angst.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi