Amazing Member

Default Is detective comics 880 a key issue or why is it worth so much

Looking at back issues i need to fill for runs of batman and detective comics i ran across this issue being worth 175 for a NM grade. I own the issue but havent read it as i needed to read prior issues first. When this issue came out i dont remember any buzz for detective comics at the time. It was about 6 months after this issue where i took a long break from collecting due to financial reasons.

It's the second to last part of Scott Snyder's The Black Mirror story, and the second to last issue before the New 52 reboot, so maybe that has something to do with it?

That was part of Scott Snyder's detective run for his Black Mirror story. It is the one with Joker in it and had that very popular Jock cover with the Joker on it too, which I imagine is the main reason for the price. That cover was really good. This came out just before the New 52 relaunch so many of DC's book at that time were kind of low in sales, so the number of copies of that issue are a bit lower than what you would typically see. Also the story kind of gained popularity organically, DC had no idea it would be as popular as it was, and stores didn't order a ton of issues expecting it to be this important issue. Neat that it is so high in price though.

Astonishing Member

Batman: The Black Mirror. A classic and by far Scott Snyder's best Batman book.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Batman: The Black Mirror. A classic and by far Scott Snyder's best Batman book.
    Maybe his best Batman work, but to me it still isn't an exeptionnal story and there are lots of better ones.
    Lesser talked about, Greg Rucka's work is excellent. Right after the No Man's Land, all the Super-Villains are out of order. Only the Mafia and gangs are left in Gotham. And Batman doesn't some nice old fashion detective work. Excellent art and writting during this time.

Amazing Member

I never thought about the possibility of a low print run. Im mostly a marvel guy but started to dip my toe into batman during the RIP time and was collecting current and back issues at the time but never paid attention to bat sales.

I kind of thought the cover may be part of the demand but some of these other reasons make sense.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yada View Post
    I never thought about the possibility of a low print run. Im mostly a marvel guy but started to dip my toe into batman during the RIP time and was collecting current and back issues at the time but never paid attention to bat sales.

I kind of thought the cover may be part of the demand but some of these other reasons make sense.
    Snyder's Tec run was deservedly really popular in trade, but last time I remember checking the Comichron numbers, the orders were really low.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Amazing Member

It’s 100% because of the Jock cover.

$175??? That's insane.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    $175??? That's insane.
    I agree. Heres where i got the value.

Slabbed values are even crazier 9.8 $670 9.6 $240 9.4 $200. Yikes

https://comicspriceguide.com/titles/...ics/880/yhxuhx

https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/953517

My guess is it's got to be the cover. I remember back when I got my copy signed by Snyder, he pointed out that he knew the cover was going to be a big deal the first time he saw it.