Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Any republican heroes?

I was just wondering. As a republican myself I was curious if there were any heroes that lean towards the conservative side. It seems that most heroes lean towards the liberal side. No real issue with that it just seems very one sided.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

There's a series by far right creators called Alt Hero.

An oxymoron.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    There's a series by far right creators called Alt Hero.
    Its awful btw

The USAgent definitely skews right.

In the 70s and 80s, the political differences between Hawkman and Green Arrow were often discussed. But I'm not sure Katar ever got US citizenship, him being from Thanagar and such.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    In the 70s and 80s, the political differences between Hawkman and Green Arrow were often discussed. But I'm not sure Katar ever got US citizenship, him being from Thanagar and such.
    Yeah, back in the day, Carter was definitely a right winger while Ollie was a tree hugging liberal.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

In the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI, Guy Gardner was often portrayed as a Reagan Republican before he had a personality shift after a blow to the head.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Wasnt Icon from Milestone comics one as well? I remember reading somewhere that he was because Lincoln freed the slaves. Did I misread?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Wasnt Icon from Milestone comics one as well? I remember reading somewhere that he was because Lincoln freed the slaves. Did I misread?
    Yeah, at least in the beginning of the series he was one, and Rocket was not impressed.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Republicans were liberals in Lincoln's time so this wouldn't make Icon a modern republican.

Hawkman is often portrayed as a conservative, especially when played against Green Arrow, but it often takes more of a "law and order" bend. You don't really see him talk about things like small government and low taxes.

Wally West was portrayed as a conservative for a little bit in the Reagan and Bush era. He fell more into the issue of taxes and capitalism than Hawkman. That said, he was kind of portrayed as an *******, so that's probably not something you'd be interested in. There were stretches where he thought he was entitled to people paying him because he saved them.

That said, I would also argue as a whole that superheroes tend to be more of a conservative concept. The concept of a vigilante cuts to the heart of a lot of conservative ideals. "The government isn't capable of protecting people, I have to do what I can to stop crime." To me, that is a very conservative notion. The self-sufficiency aspect of superheroes leans towards the right.

I think Wally West in the New Teen Titans by Wolfman and Perez, at least in the beginning, in an issue against a russian hero. I read it a lot time ago, but that was the impression I got. I would be glad if someone can confirm this. Hawk was a republican too, right? Maybe Hal Jordan in Green Lantern/Green Arrow, but that may be a free interpretation. I'm not from the US, so my idea of republicans and democrats is pretty vague compared to someone who has truly investigate the matter or lives in the country. I have a hard time thinking of a current republican hero
    Last edited by Chubistian; 10-27-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

The Comedian in Watchmen. If you want to consider him a hero.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post

That said, I would also argue as a whole that superheroes tend to be more of a conservative concept. The concept of a vigilante cuts to the heart of a lot of conservative ideals. "The government isn't capable of protecting people, I have to do what I can to stop crime." To me, that is a very conservative notion. The self-sufficiency aspect of superheroes leans towards the right.
    I thought that as well for a while until someone pointed out that these guys go out of their way, unaided, with no material benefit and save anyone no matter race, colour or creed. Thats not very republican.