Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    See, many super-heroes clearly have conservative leanings.
    Many?
    Which ones, (besides Bronze Age Hawkman) and can you give examples where/how this was expressed/shown?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-30-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Hawkman, Guy Gardner, US Agent, for starters. That's just off the top of my head.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Are we making a distinction between conservative and republican?

For some reason I want to say Capt Atom, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.
    I don't recall it ever being explicit, but I'd buy it about the Post-Crisis Captain Atom. His whole man-out-of-time schtick revolved around him bringing attitudes of a (then-recently) by-gone era with him. I've been rereading his late-80s series and am just getting to the part where he struggles to handle the fact that his best friend from the old days (an African American) has entered a relationship with his now-grown daughter.

I think it's fair to say that after Golden Age Superman was calmed down through the end of the Silver Age, almost all superheroes were played as conservative. From the on-set of the Bronze Age on, conservative characters became rare, and were usually skewed to the extreme. Of course, the Bronze Age set in right around the time the US began to realize this Viet Nam thing wasn't a good idea, and the leadership had lied to us about it.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 10-30-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Hawkman, Guy Gardner, US Agent, for starters. That's just off the top of my head.
    Yeah, I recall those '70s era Justice League comics where Hawkman would argue with Green Arrow. Gardner's character was retooled in the '80s to be basically a stereotype. Later writers dialed it down.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Are we making a distinction between conservative and republican?

For some reason I want to say Capt Atom, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.
    You could say that nearly any character who was around in the Golden Age of Comics and has survived without being heavily rebooted qualifies here as conservative, but that was so long ago that Republicans were the progressive party.

For example, I'd say that pre-nu52 Alan Scott is quite conservative, especially on social issues. He was obviously uncomfortable with his son being gay, despite being happy for him finding any amount of peace with himself. Anyone in DC who has shifted to the "No superheroes were around more than 10-15 years ago" mentality is going to fit that bill anymore, though.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Wild Dog is close, but as Ollie himself said, he's more Libertarian.

Here's some "pro-life" stuff that heroic Republicans are trying to force on women that will totally...do...something?

ignance.jpg

Hmm, so republicans is a rare breed in comics? That makes them a minority, and we should probably have some more just to make them more politically diverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Banner View Post
    Hmm, so republicans is a rare breed in comics? That makes them a minority, and we should probably have some more just to make them more politically diverse.
    Confirmed Democrats are pretty rare too. Publishers most likely don't want to limit the potential popularity of the characters.
    Dark does not mean deep.

That's a relief. Keep the comics as politically neutral as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Banner View Post
    That's a relief. Keep the comics as politically neutral as possible.
    Don't confuse a lack of confirmed partisanship for being politically neutral. Even the choice to say nothing at all is a political act in art as it is in life.

All comics are political but they keep characters overall allegiances quiet unless its absolutely necessary to avoid losing readers

Even that famous Brave and the Bold cover, "The Senator's Been Shot," Never once in the story do they mention if the Senator is a Democrat or a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Don't confuse a lack of confirmed partisanship for being politically neutral. Even the choice to say nothing at all is a political act in art as it is in life.
    As Neil Peart would say, "Even those who choose not to decide, Still have made a choice."

Boisterously Confused

I'm confused. Wasn't this a thread asking if any comics characters happened to be republican?