Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I thought that as well for a while until someone pointed out that these guys go out of their way, unaided, with no material benefit and save anyone no matter race, colour or creed. Thats not very republican.
    Conservatives are more charitable in the United States.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/y...lanthropy.html

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/...ritable-079888

So helping others unaided is more of a Republican thing.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I was just wondering. As a republican myself I was curious if there were any heroes that lean towards the conservative side. It seems that most heroes lean towards the liberal side. No real issue with that it just seems very one sided.
    I think Batman might be. No offense, but he has certain tendencies that lean towards fascism.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Conservatives are more charitable in the United States.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/y...lanthropy.html

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/...ritable-079888

So helping others unaided is more of a Republican thing.
    That is more about people giving to their church rather than Charitable organizations. So of course places with Evangelicals and Mormons give more. But is that really about generosity or the demands of fundamentalist religions?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I think Batman might be. No offense, but he has certain tendencies that lean towards fascism.
    Not all republicans lean towards Fascism. I know I dont.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I could buy Tony Stark as one.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That is more about people giving to their church rather than Charitable organizations. So of course places with Evangelicals and Mormons give more. But is that really about generosity or the demands of fundamentalist religions?
    I see no difference in giving to a charitable organization or a church. Each one helps their community in their own way.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

I see no difference in giving to a charitable organization or a church. Each one helps their community in their own way.
    Not all Churches are the same, nor do they help everyone in their community. Sometimes they help governments (Foreign and Domestic) enact laws that punish those who happen to be LGBT or from a religion they've been taught to hate. In general they don't seem to help people that aren't from the same religion either, but that's from anecdotal evidence I've seen here in Texas.

I'm not saying that there aren't charitable organizations which also heavily restrict who they help, but according to my experience it's baked in when Churches are involved.

Lots of churches use the contributions to make the church itself look more fancy, or to enrich the preachers in charge of the church. See Jim Bakker, Pat Robertson, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Tony Stark could be one. Being a weapons manufacturer, capitalist, and siding with the government in Civil War.

See, many super-heroes clearly have conservative leanings. But you won't see that many even mention the existence of the Democratic Party or the Republican Party. Even when Barbara Gordon was a US Congresswoman in the early 1980s, they would never mention which Party she belonged to. It would always be referred to simply as "The Party," or "The Opposition."

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    See, many super-heroes clearly have conservative leanings. But you won't see that many even mention the existence of the Democratic Party or the Republican Party. Even when Barbara Gordon was a US Congresswoman in the early 1980s, they would never mention which Party she belonged to. It would always be referred to simply as "The Party," or "The Opposition."
    In the big two, I can only name a few heroes off the top of my head who are specifically for or against one party or another. Green Arrow, everyone knows about. USAgent is another. And, for a more obscure reference, Cyclops in a limited series run stated he never votes Republican after quoting Reagan about leadership. Something about how Reagan once said leadership is merely putting the right people in place and nothing more. I'm not sure if the quote is even real, to be honest.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Not to debate that point. But what I was saying is that many fundamentalist churches demand tithing as part of the membership, or put great pressure on the congregation to donate. So the poll showing that some Red States being "more generous" is a result of this, not the regular charitable giving people might assume it means. I am countering the argument that Mets extrapolated that conservatives are more generous.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Not all republicans lean towards Fascism. I know I dont.
    The point was that a lot of superheroes who might be construed as more right leaning do carry pretty strong fascist messages, specifically that all of the world's problems can be traced to irredeemably bad people who everyone knows is bad but get away with their crimes because everyone is too cowardly or too politically correct to do anything about it, with the notable exception of our hero of course. And of course you can get away with this type of narrative in comics because in a fictional universe it's totally plausible that some sinister secret cabal really does control everything, without the unfortunate implications that would carry if you tried to make the same argument in real life.

There is a bit of a feedback loop with this as well, much of the impetus behind fascism comes from simplistic readings of myths and stories that typically revolve around individuals using extreme willpower to overcome impossible challenges, while the rest of society is either completely docile, incompetent, or in cahoots with the bad guys. You could see this in the Nazis' obsession with Germanic folklore and Wagnerian opera, or the modern alt right's fixation on pop culture, especially movies like the Matrix or Fight Club that cleave very closely to their world view.

Astonishing Member

Doug Powell from Silver Sable's Wild Pack might also be a republican. He was a former KKK member and didn't like minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Same here, he and Bats are my two top candidates.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."