Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default How do you feel about male Amazons?

If the Amazons aren't the COIE versions they would presumably have multiple Amazon children on the island and some of them would more than likely be boys. How would you feel if there were just normal male amazons that weren't enslaved or exiled?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    If the Amazons aren't the COIE versions they would presumably have multiple Amazon children on the island and some of them would more than likely be boys. How would you feel if there were just normal male amazons that weren't enslaved or exiled?
    I'd hate it, it's pointless, it turns Themyscira into any other place in the world.

Spectacular Member

I wouldn't mind. Ultimately, i see Themiscyra more open to the rest of the world, once both part have learnt to respect (and love) each other. So men coming to Themyscira to live with their amazon wives and amazons living elsewhere with their husbands seems normal to me, and obviously children follow. Also tourism. Anyway, no country succeeded while being isolationist, they all fell from their own mistakes, being decadence, hubris or something else.

*points at Hercules*

Maybe a few rare Amazon men, like Diana's brother, but not the island filled with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I'd hate it, it's pointless, it turns Themyscira into any other place in the world.
    My feelings as well. The concept is the definition of counterproductive.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    My feelings as well. The concept is the definition of counterproductive.
    I could buy it if it's like the Bana-migdall where they're functionally banished from Paradise Island.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I could buy it if it's like the Bana-migdall where they're functionally banished from Paradise Island.
    That could work but I, for one, certainly don't want them located anywhere near Paradise Island by the time Steve shows up.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah I didn't have a real problem with Achilles' men the Gargareans who were essentially the male version of Amazons. Just keep them further than 300 miles from Themyscira, possibly in another dimension and let the two tribes meet occasionally to broaden their ranks and divide the offspring by sex. I found their city of crystal and river of gold on their island Thalorion intriguing, but can't help thinking their concept cheapens the Amazons a little by making them less unique.

I mean in stories there were males in the Amazon tribes. So I guess you can call them something else. With the Banas. They can have males in their societies but they are seen not heard. They are more of the low class. Taking care.

Well I can’t see why not have another island of female and male Amazons near. Like the few Amazon females were tired of being separated and went to a another near them. They could be their own thing.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 10-27-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Yup. I'm with Koriand'r. That's, literally, what the word Amazon does not mean.

As far as WW lore, whether it's characterized as divine influence, or disciplined self-actualization, one of the elements of WW's core is that the Amazons tapped into and optimized the power of women. No need to muddy that water.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 11-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Why not have the Amazons have a place where both male and Amazons can meet. That Amazons who after Diana comes back. They want to at least have a place for the outside world and Amazons can meet

Male Amazons is an oxymoron and completely unnecessary. Let the original concept stand on its own for the amazing concept it was for its time and continues to be for our time.

But if a Amazon does have a son should he just be a male? I mean what about hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Male Amazons is an oxymoron and completely unnecessary. Let the original concept stand on its own for the amazing concept it was for its time and continues to be for our time.
    The one thing that hasn't been tried is what that Roy Thomas story gave us, with Captain Wonder, ..and that is a straight up male interpretation of Wonder Woman's power and costume. Without the iconography of Wonder Woman, I don't think a male Amazon will make much of an impact ..or have any point.

A great follow up of George Perezs Hercules story might have been to see him surrender himself and his strength to the Amazons and submit to complete and total retraining, in the Amazon ways. Through this training, he would have become the first male Amazon and first, official male, superhuman ally to the Wonder Family. I think the conversion of Hercules to Amazonism would have been a great fulfillment of the Amazon ideal...that it truly can transform anyone.

I think the introduction of a male Amazon needs to be relevant to the Amazon mythos, somehow. If the Amazons were charged with training and caring for Captain Wonder, this poor, newborn, ectoplasmic monster, born of Doctor Psychos evil experiment, that might be a surprising way to illustrate their compassionate side. They would have complete responsibility for him, and they would be all he had in the world...a weird, quirky Frankenstein fantasy.

A story about a male Amazon and why the Amazon's would justify creating one should result in the intro of a new superhero ally for Diana, I think. He can't be just some dude hanging out on the Island, sexing up the other Amazons.

It would show them doing something, besides hacking and murdering something.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 11-05-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!