0 0%
  • SPREAD #2

4 19.05%
  • TALES OF HONOR #4

0 0%
  • TECH JACKET #2

1 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Image Comic of the Week August 6/14 - Invincible #113, Alex + Alda #8, Lazarus #10, Nailbiter #4

Last week's comic of the week winner barely squeaked by grabbing 6 votes over Fatale, Outcast and Prophet who each grabbed 5 votes . Readers on our forum were split over the debut issue of Low. Many liked it but just as many were just lukewarm towards the first issue. Still a very strong showing considering the great titles it was up against last week.

Last month's winners Nailbiter and Lazarus returns and is our pick of the week, Rucka and Lark are just amazing and Nailbiter #4 is just super creepy. I'm really interested to see which title is our reader's favorite this week.
    Favorites like Invincible and Alex + Alda are back as well as the second issues of Spread, Tech Jacket and Hack and Slash. We also have four new Image titles this week Genius #1, Imperial #1, Howtoons Reignition and Nightworld #1. Overall a really strong week for Image.

Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 08-06-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Only read Invincible so far. But you know how it goes, if there is a new Invincible out it is book of the week because nothing is better! Looking forward to several other books though, really top notch week in comics this week.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Glad Low was able to squeak it out. The art is really captivating and does an awesome job of displaying how big the world is down there.. giving Remender freedom to focus on story telling. Definitely looking forward to issue #2.

As for this week.... only read Lazarus, but it really got me pumped for the next arc. Another solid installment from Rucka and Lark.

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    Only read Invincible so far. But you know how it goes, if there is a new Invincible out it is book of the week because nothing is better! Looking forward to several other books though, really top notch week in comics this week.
    Really big week for me. I picked up a giant stack of books this week in addition to my Image titles this week. So excited to read them all.

Nailbiter #4 was really good, felt like I was reading something from Silence of the Lambs. Really creepy.
    My Image book of the week is Spread #2. God damn I love this book so much. I do have a bias towards post apocalyptic sci fi but man, this book is just so good. Issue 2 was excellent, much better than issue 1 with some great character development. Story picked up and we got introduced to some interesting new characters. And if the similarities to Lone Wolf and Cub and Sweet Tooth isn't enough, even Justin Jordan admitted in the letters page how Spread had some elements of Saga, LOL. He did say he had conceived the idea of Spread before he even read an issue of Saga, he does want to create something new and fresh with this title. I just got to say Kyle Strahm's artwork is just beautiful. Spread is everything that I had hoped LOW #1 would be. Strahm's beautiful and detailed artwork is just perfect for the world building that is taking place, pulled me right into the world. I just love the overall presentation, beautiful art on beautiful glossy pages. Loving this book.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

BANNED

I haven't read Clone yet. Lazarus was a nice surprise, it gave a nice and chilling peak into another Domain. George Orwell would be very proud.

Alex + Ada #8 is quite possibly the best comic I've read since Alex + Ada #7.
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

Spread #2 was absolutely fantastic. I thought I loved the first, but this really did it for me. Great story, amazing artwork, totally worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by LooneyKoala View Post
    Alex + Ada #8 is quite possibly the best comic I've read since Alex + Ada #7.
    This person speaks wisdom.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by KatSparxx View Post
    Spread #2 was absolutely fantastic. I thought I loved the first, but this really did it for me. Great story, amazing artwork, totally worth every penny.
    Words of wisdom here. Spread fans unite and rally!

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Please read and re-read LoonyKoala's comments above. Thank you.

A very hard choice between Alex and Ada and Lazarus; voted A&A because, well, it IS the best comic I've read since last month's A&A, AND because I suspect Lazarus is the more likely to find readers.
    Just posted this under "Luna Bros." heading, explaining my love for Alex and Ada:

While many of the Luna Bros. comics seemed to start off interestingly, for me they'd fade after the first several issues.
    the big exception for me is ALEX AND ADA, which is one of my absolute top favorite comics, after some forty years of reading/accumulating comics, and a current pull list of perhaps four dozen titles (sigh, or more...).

The artwork is clean, clear, supportive, as Luna Bros. artwork nearly always is.

But the story! Better world-building than the big fan favorite "Saga" in that the world being created is orderly, logical, a believable extension of our present day world, cohesive and coherent and, best of all--it's not thrown at us: it's subtly all around the characters, revealed as it affects the characters, enough to suggest the greater world at large, and just enough that it doesn't overwhelm them.

Similarly, the characters, particularly the leads, are simply revealed through what they say and how they respond to their world and to one another, and best, they are genuinely likeable, and reflect common difficulties and situations.

Yes, I agree with T Snorefest that A&A is "understated" [in the Luna Bros. topic], perhaps some would go so far as to say "slow"--but the series builds momentum as the outer world begins to crash in on the characters, providing a sense of menace and impending doom few other series, with (or despite) all their 'action' never provide. My strongest recommendation goes to this series! Please give it a try--

(and yes, Groo Odditty (heh), I guess I'll just have to go try "Spread," too!).
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Fantastic Member

Read Clone, Lazarus, and Spread.

Clone was the weakest of the three, but still a good issue just predictable is all. This is the type of issue that would be more worth while in the trade.

Lazarus was great using the one shot to provide a good deal of world building, follow up to what happened to Jonah after the first arc, and providing a sense of direction for the coming arc. A lot happens here and is pretty new reader friendly too. Definitely worth picking up for both regular readers and new readers that want to jump on.

Spread, however, takes the spot for me. First issue was pretty interesting and I liked the world, but this second issue really sealed the deal for me on this. The characters, the art, the world, everything just clicked here and I can't wait to see more of this. Quite the odd ball group we'll be following and we find out just a bit more about this Freddy Kreuger looking guy (guy seriously creeps me out) that's following No and Hope. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    This person speaks wisdom.
    I like you.
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them