Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Default The Original Comic Art Thread

Hi all!

Welcome to the Original Comic Art thread! A (hopefully!) friendly kind of place to kick back and share info about this fascinating part of the wider comic book community.

I’ve been collecting (bagging and boarding) comics (mainly DC and Marvel) for over 30 years, however I only became aware of the accessibility of buying original comic art relatively late. I bought my first published page (a Wolverine full page splash) in 2005 and was carried forward by the sheer exhilaration of this to acquire more art that was meaningful and inspirational to me. There has been a ‘through put’ of art for me: I have sold on art, sometimes with a financial profit, but sometimes with a financial loss. Through this process my own collecting ‘focus’ has clarified, and I have been fortunate enough to acquire art that does seem to rightfully ‘belong’ in my collection. A few years ago it became clear that I had to change my buying habits. Now I’ve reduced my buying to a couple of small commissions or ‘con-sketches’ a year (if that). I still check out comic art ‘on-line’ though most days!

My favourite website for doing this? That’s easy: www.comicartfans.com

Comic Art Fans is a great website, however I must emphasise a WARNING! It’s NOT (in my opinion) a family-friendly website, due to the substantial amount of nudity and sexist art on display there. The web-site host team, led by the web-site owner Bill Cox, do a great job of trying to police this as best they can: mainly by encouraging gallery posters to display adult-themed art as NWS (Not Work Safe) meaning that you have to be a member and ‘logged in’ if you wish to view it, HOWEVER, clearly not all posters do this, meaning for example that if you click on the ‘New Comic Art’ button it really is Russian roulette what you’ll see, meaning that perusing the site is definitely not for kids. I think this is a shame, and I’ve asked Bill a couple of times during on-line communication whether he’d consider setting up a ‘kids’ or ‘family friendly’ sister site, a bit like Netflix/Netflix Kids, but it sounds like this would be too big an undertaking and maybe it’s not clear there’d be a demand for it (I think there would!).

Like I say though, MOST of the art on CAF IS amazing AND family friendly, such as these GEMS here:

An AMAZING Sal Buscema Commission, featuring Sal himself:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...35&GSub=117767

This Fabok Batman Eternal #1 cover:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...55&GSub=155061

Final Crisis #6 Cover:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...20&GSub=154560

Fantastic Batman and Robin commission by Tony Daniel:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...59&GSub=151525

and so many AWESOME historic covers such as this King Kirby and Joe Simon 1942 (!!!) Adventure Comics cover featuring Manhunter:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...141&GSub=46261

These are just a few random goodies from CAF!

Anybody else out there love perusing original comic art?? Either on-line, in conventions, or your own collections, or any which way but loose? What types of comic art are you most attracted to? What’s been your most fun/inspiring/etc interaction with a comic artist about comic art? So many things to discuss…..!

:-)
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

My wife and I own some original art and my wife has most of it posted under her name on the CAF website.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=6848

We both used to be very active on the Hellboy Forum here at CBR and made a lot of friends there. A bunch of us met at Comic Con in San Diego in 2005 and there we met Mike Mignola and bought some pages of his original art. We became friends with David Petersen of Mouse Guard on the Hellboy Forum and met him as well on that trip. In fact, he had just self published the first issue of Mouse Guard in black and white and was approaching publishers at the Con. That is when he formed a relationship with Archaia and agreed to release it in colour. We have several pages of his early comics and one of our favourites depicts two glassblowing mice, which are representative of my wife and I. In 2007 we travelled to Michigan and helped David Petersen sit his booth at the Motor City Comic Con. We met Guy Davis, Stan Sakai, Sergio Aragones and Jeremy Bastion at that con and Morna picked up the original art for Usagi Yogimbo #101, which she had arranged for Stan Sakai to bring to the convention for her. All of the artists we met at that con were very generous with their time and seemed quite happy to do sketches for us.

I don't do it often enough, but once in a while I love to pull out the big portfolio we store our original art in and savour looking at them. I love the large scale of the drawings (17.5 x 11") and really enjoy studying the variety of line work and inking styles. We have several of our favourite pieces framed as well: Cover art for Usagi Yojimbo #101 by Stan Sakai, Cover art for B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs #5 by Guy Davis, Interior art for Hellboy: Third Wish #1, and fairly elaborate sketches by Mike Mignola (Dagda, King of The Daoine Sidhe holding a Snowy Owl) and Guy Davis (Abe Sapien swimming in front of a steampunk submarine).

Hi Gary,
    Thanks for reply! There are some lovely Mouse Guard pages in your collection, and how great that that's a representation of you and your wife in that page from #3! The Guy Davis Sub is a real beaut!
    Also sounds like that convention was a really magical event for you both, a perfect storm of amazing artists! :-)

Meeting Duncan Fegredo for the first time in 2010 was a memorable occasion for me, as we had a good chat about his experience of working on Tom Strong, and how it compared to doing hid Hellboy work (which he was immersed in at the time!). I try to get to at least 1 UK convention a year, but have yet to make it to one in the states! Last year I got to meet Grant Morrison in Edinburgh (a book festival, but a big focus on comics) and he did a knockout little sketch for me! That has got to be my highlight so far!!

Cheers!
    :-)

What The Flip?
    I posted this thread in the CBR Community section as there isn't a specific section for Original Comic Art, and that seemed to be the section for 'miscellaneous', and I've just noticed (through checking my profile) that the thread's been moved to the 'Classics and Collected' section.
    As this section is headed: 'Talk with fellow fans about the great classic comics that continue to inspire us, as well as collected editions of your favorite stories!' I just don't see how this thread is better suited to this section? There's as much (if not more.... stats impossible to work out! :-) ) comic art being collected of Current stories as there is of Classic/older stories. I get that there is the collecting link to this forum, but otherwise it just doesn't seem to fit. There'd already been one fantastic reply to the thread (from Gary B) over in the CBR Community forum so I just don't get the move.....
    Anyone got any ideas?
    Best wishes!
    CB
    Last edited by The Celtic Batman; 05-25-2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: a missing 't'......!

WOOP!

Been waiting for this thread to appear! I have been collecting for about a year now:

http://www.comicartfans.com/my/Galle...sp?GSub=148686

I am currently looking for more Frank Quitely Batman pages!

Fantastic Member

Some nice stuff there The Celtic Batman , I too have been looking into getting some splash pages and art . But interested in conan and iron man and ghost rider but they are just to pricey . Maybe some day but have got a fewer personalized pieces .

This forum is more appropriate, with a lot of posters who collect original art and there tends to be more focus on discussion and content here.

I love original pages, but I don't see myself purchasing some anytime soon as the ones I'm after are too far out of my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keyt View Post
    Some nice stuff there The Celtic Batman , I too have been looking into getting some splash pages and art . But interested in conan and iron man and ghost rider but they are just to pricey . Maybe some day but have got a fewer personalized pieces .
    Hi John, I should have made it clearer that the links I posted in the OP are links to some random choices of art I like but they're to art NOT owned by me.
    There's SO much great stuff out there! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Batman View Post
    Hi John, I should have made it clearer that the links I posted in the OP are links to some random choices of art I like but they're to art NOT owned by me.
    There's SO much great stuff out there! :-)
    A Conan/Iron Man/Ghost Rider Jam-commission could be something for you to aim for!!! :-)

Amazing Member

I've been collecting since around 1999 when I first discovered CAF. I originally bought a few pages from some of the books I had when I was a kid and ended up trading those up for a cover and then traded that cover for a couple covers and so on ... I bought a lot of art early on for cheap and then it skyrocketed in value and I traded that art up for bigger and better.
    My collection now consists of some pretty cool pages and covers:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3650
    Check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks for looking! I welcome any and all comments on my gallery!

Quote Originally Posted by Mixmaster View Post
    I've been collecting since around 1999 when I first discovered CAF. I originally bought a few pages from some of the books I had when I was a kid and ended up trading those up for a cover and then traded that cover for a couple covers and so on ... I bought a lot of art early on for cheap and then it skyrocketed in value and I traded that art up for bigger and better.
    My collection now consists of some pretty cool pages and covers:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=3650
    Check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks for looking! I welcome any and all comments on my gallery!
    Hi Michael, I love your Warlock and The Infinity Watch pinup... in fact I left a comment on it back in Feb! :-)
    and your page from Strange Tales #180 is Genius! One of my favourite comics as a kid, loved it!
    My CAF gallery can be found here:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=46952
    Cheers!
    Last edited by The Celtic Batman; 05-29-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo!

I'm more into prints and have a one of artist proof. Would that count as original art? Also I'm not sure where to get colored one of prints from many artists online. I just have this one right now though. image.jpg
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Hi!

I think my first foray into buying original art was from Dave Sim, who offered Cerebus pages at the outrageous price of $60 each--oh do I WISH I'd bought more of'm then!-- and then a Swampy page from Steve Bissette. After that...sigh... best luck has come from writing the artists directly, which seemed easier then. Nowadays I also like comicartfan.com, as well as Anthony Snyder (anthonyscomicbookart.com), splashpageart.com, albertmoy.com, and of course, I haunt e-bay, though I haven't actually bought anything there.

Luckily, I have VERY understanding sweet heart (who nonetheless has said no more walls may be given over to comics art... apparently two full walls and other spots around the house are *enough*), who once read Somerset Holmes, but no other comics since then...) I've posted a lot of my pages on facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9185184&type=3 if anyone cares to go see--!

glad to see this topic on CBR! good to read about your trophies!
    best wishes,
    Matt
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Legion564 View Post
    I'm more into prints and have a one of artist proof. Would that count as original art? Also I'm not sure where to get colored one of prints from many artists online. I just have this one right now though. image.jpg
    Nice colours on that print!
    I've seen some prints on CAF that are 'remarqued': they're prints with a small drawing by the artist on them, usually on a border at the bottom. That seems to combine the 2 worlds of print and OA quite nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Hi!

I think my first foray into buying original art was from Dave Sim, who offered Cerebus pages at the outrageous price of $60 each--oh do I WISH I'd bought more of'm then!-- and then a Swampy page from Steve Bissette. After that...sigh... best luck has come from writing the artists directly, which seemed easier then. Nowadays I also like comicartfan.com, as well as Anthony Snyder (anthonyscomicbookart.com), splashpageart.com, albertmoy.com, and of course, I haunt e-bay, though I haven't actually bought anything there.

Luckily, I have VERY understanding sweet heart (who nonetheless has said no more walls may be given over to comics art... apparently two full walls and other spots around the house are *enough*), who once read Somerset Holmes, but no other comics since then...) I've posted a lot of my pages on facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9185184&type=3 if anyone cares to go see--!

glad to see this topic on CBR! good to read about your trophies!
    best wishes,
    Matt
    Great pages Matt! That Merv Pumpkinhead ppage is a doozy! :-)