Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yes, they are.

Mighty Member

If said mutants are born in Russia or any country that doesn't recognize Krakoa they are considered citizens of those countries. Dosen't matter what Krakoa or the UN say/think.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    the countries they are in? Like Mauraders for instance. While Russia did not take the deal for the drugs Krakoa has been recognized by the U.N as a whole as a legitimate country and mutants given amnesty and citizenship. So by blocking mutants from leaving for Krakoa or denying access to gates, countries who follow the law of the U.N be violating international law?
    Yes. Freedom of movement is considered a human right.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Well, considering mutants officially don't consider themselves human anymore, governments have an excuse to say they're not entitled to human rights.

(Not that that's stopped them before.)
    But they are sentient beings and in the Marvel universe that the scope of human rights cover "sentient beings".

Astonishing Member

Well, freedom of movement is a ting. It may not be as big as other human rights, but there’s an expectation among states to let people move in and out as they please. Even if Russia doesn’t recognize Krakoa as a state, its citizens are entitled to freely leave and go somewhere else. That kinda changes if Russia and Krakoa become openly hostile because then Russia has legitimate grounds to limit movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    And? There are concentration camps for gays in Russia as we speak. Why should they care about what the U.N, says? at all?
    The U.N. is just an ineffective crap... It is good for nothing and pretty hipocritical thing... The Earth and its people are in pain and the U.N. just let them suffering...
    (Sorry if my English is broken... It was recently inside Lockheed's mouth...)

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Many are, but it's not new. Many countries don't allow their citizens to freely leave- nearly all communist countries did this, and the ones remaining still do.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Yes, they still can suffer some sanctions because of violation of human rights.

you can't be punished for something you don't agree
    That’s what the sanctions are for.......punishment......for something you don’t agree with but something that enough countries voted for that it is law.

Where is the office of international law?
    What days and hours does it keep?
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Well, freedom of movement is a ting. It may not be as big as other human rights, but there’s an expectation among states to let people move in and out as they please. Even if Russia doesn’t recognize Krakoa as a state, its citizens are entitled to freely leave and go somewhere else. That kinda changes if Russia and Krakoa become openly hostile because then Russia has legitimate grounds to limit movement.
    Funny how that keeps coming up in Brexit debates. People think there'll be less freedom of movement when the UK isn't in the EU.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    That’s what the sanctions are for.......punishment......for something you don’t agree with but something that enough countries voted for that it is law.
    Sanctions only happen when you agree to something. For example pakistan and india developed nuclear weapons and doesn't suffer sactions. But north korea suffers. Why?
    NK signed into a non proliferation of nuclear weapons, India and Pakistan didn't

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Thank you for enhancing my point but the difference is those are, in most cases russian citizens being detained by their own country. If there were 100 gay russians in an american concentration camp i think russia and the world would have a different view.
    Oh, you mean as Krakoans have their own nationality now. In the real world it would be a complicated process. Many countries do not have laws to revoke citizenship anymore. Do they keep both passports? Do they have to renounce their old nationality? I think Russia would claim their citizens are not krakoans, as they do not recognize such nation.
    I can even imagine propaganda videos in Russia Today with mutants explaining how happy they are to be russians (and HELP ME scribbled on their teeth).

Oh, you mean as Krakoans have their own nationality now. In the real world it would be a complicated process. Many countries do not have laws to revoke citizenship anymore. Do they keep both passports? Do they have to renounce their old nationality? I think Russia would claim their citizens are not krakoans, as they do not recognize such nation.
    I can even imagine propaganda videos in Russia Today with mutants explaining how happy they are to be russians (and HELP ME scribbled on their teeth).
    lol, I can see that too, mutants are welcome in Russia, we love our mutants, Krakoa just wants to enslave Russian mutants to work for the evil regime of Krakoa!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Most mutants should become dual-nationals. Your citizenship can be determined by where you're born, where your parents are from (for example, Kamala Khan can probably claim Pakistani dual citizenship because her parents are immigrants who were born in Pakistan) and by being settled for a certain length of time - in Krakoa's case, that time appears to be zero, but in real life, it's usually a few years.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

No. Countries are responsible for their borders and emigration laws. What Russia is doing is no different then was done in communist, eastern bloc countries during the cold war. Or why the Berlin Wall was put up. You might not like it...but that does not mean it is against international law.