Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    "The X-fans are basically a bunch of people who buy team books that think they should all be solo titles."-Hickman (2019) Straight Truth
    Savage.

I love him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Did he say anything about Jean?
    Expect mom jeans and a chronic case of the vapors.

Extraordinary Member

This concept of having a writer as a showrunner (and really de facto co-editor, or at least that's what the interview makes it sound like) is interesting. I wonder if it would work for any other line or if it's specific to the X-Men line because it's a broad line of books connected by the theme of mutants (whereas Spider-Man is mostly Spider-Man books and Avengers-related books have very little in common).

I'm not always the biggest fan of Hickman's writing but I always like his interviews (and his dry sarcastic Twitter). He admits what goes wrong, praises what goes right, and describes things accurately and articulately.

To paraphrase: What illustration with room layouts? Don’t know what you’re talking about.

Look he spent him time talking about actual important mutants like Maggot and Eye Boy ok

This was such a great interview.

Love that he mentioned Mike Carey. Sad that he was too busy to do a x-book.

Keiron Gillen having a standing offer. I hope he comes back for a bit. I thought his run was way too short.

I also like that he can drop into titles and set up further stories.

I'm honestly devastated that Carey isn't coming back. It truly hurt my day lol

Now I think Warren Ellis is getting the Moira book.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

You mentioned Warren Ellis.

I hear
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    I am shocked, SHOCKED by the way he talks about future plans. After multiple credible sources with the same IP told me that Sinister/Apocalypse/Magneto/Emma/Xavier/Moira/Mystique were all going to betray the XMen at the same time and Destiny would order Pyro to burn Moira alive to restore the timeline to one where Scott and Jean only have missionary sex with each other twice a week.
    My LCS has a 7-hour, uncensored interview with Hickman and told him that Krakoa is crumbling NEXT WEEK because those dirty mutants wouldn’t let Gregor call them “muties.” And also Krakoa has been secretly feasting on all the mutants but Doug absorbed all the energy because he’s the worst of them and turned into the Collective and blew up The Five and killed all the mutants who died that weren’t Jean, Wolverine, Logan, and Archangel.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    It is when you've got other characters looking down their nose at humans just because they're humans. For example:

"Humans, is there any good in them?"--Lorna Dane

"A little humanity to go with her excess of humanity"--Emma Frost

"Man should know when to yield or else beg for unearned mercy"--Ororo Munroe

We know how awful the mutants have been treated, they are well within their rights to want to carve off a space of their own to be safe. However, generalising absolutely everyone 'just because they can' does not put them in the right, nor make them any better than those who have harmed them.

An eye for an eye doesn't solve any past resentments; it just generates new ones.
    Well that is a lot of out-of-context quotes. It isn’t an eye for an eye if they aren’t on equal footing.

Anyway, Lorna has experienced firsthand destruction of her home as welll as all its inhabitants because of Sentinels and Sentinel funding. She has a right to say that as many times as she wants. I don’t get how Emma’s preaching supremacy and not showing my point on “Us v. Them”. IIRC Storm’s comment was about the nature of man and applying that situation to ORCHIS.

They are generalizing in the same way minorities tend to generalize a majority as oppressive or destructive. No dip we aren’t talking about every single soul, but there’s a disproportionate amount of those with privilege at the top who aren’t fixing anything. And a bunch of people in the middle who refuse to do anything or “stay apolitical.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    My LCS has a 7-hour, uncensored interview with Hickman and told him that Krakoa is crumbling NEXT WEEK because those dirty mutants wouldn’t let Gregor call them “muties.” And also Krakoa has been secretly feasting on all the mutants but Doug absorbed all the energy because he’s the worst of them and turned into the Collective and blew up The Five and killed all the mutants who died that weren’t Jean, Wolverine, Logan, and Archangel.

Well that is a lot of out-of-context quotes. It isn’t an eye for an eye if they aren’t on equal footing.

Anyway, Lorna has experienced firsthand destruction of her home as welll as all its inhabitants because of Sentinels and Sentinel funding. She has a right to say that as many times as she wants. I don’t get how Emma’s preaching supremacy and not showing my point on “Us v. Them”. IIRC Storm’s comment was about the nature of man and applying that situation to ORCHIS.

They are generalizing in the same way minorities tend to generalize a majority as oppressive or destructive. No dip we aren’t talking about every single soul, but there’s a disproportionate amount of those with privilege at the top who aren’t fixing anything. And a bunch of people in the middle who refuse to do anything or “stay apolitical.”
    But Krakoa being a nation does put them on equal footing, at least politically. And, no, those weren't out of context quotes; those were quotes reflecting a broad view of humanity from these characters.

For Lorna: Yes, she has, I understand that coming from that character, as do I from Magneto. However, I don't agree that it's a sentiment to be celebrated or encouraged; it doesn't heal old wounds, it just fosters new ones.

For Emma: Well how do you read that? She's never had a high opinion of humans, for good reason in later years, however the emphasis she puts on humanity makes it seem derogatory. Like it's an 'undesirable quality,' akin to a rich white woman saying about someone "She's black, but not black." (Which, I want to clarify, is horrible and disgusting but I need to put that there to illustrate a point.)

Storm's comment doesn't come across as a rhetoric; if it is, then Hickman really needs to work on clarifying that for readers such as myself who aren't picking up on it that way. Oh, sure, you might say "Why should he?" Well, for one, wouldn't it stop all the fighting on these boards? Get everyone clear on where at least one character stands and, as such, lead to a less wary view of where the story's going? (And yes, I'm autistic, I'm disabled, I struggle with rhetorical language. And unfortunately, until I see it written in the book what it means, I can't take anyone else's word that it isn't what Hickman intends.)

„It's important to remember and I have to tell all the guys all the time, twitter is an incredibly small sliver of the audiance. The same thing is true for message boards. It's not a representation of what the vast majority of people who reading the books are. It's fun, but it's not the experiance that everybody's having. So sometimes it's cool, but you gotta remember when everybody saying how great you are it's not a representation of everybody, and when everybody is telling you you're a monster because you're promoting mutant segregation or whatever noncense was floating around this week”

lol at the last sentense

Quote Originally Posted by Macallan View Post
    That was a great listen, I definitely recommend people giving it the hour or so of their time.

The biggest takeaway of his run isn’t the poly solution or Krakoa, but rather that Hickman has now decided that all mutants hate baseball and e-sports.
    I remarked about Wicdiv once that for them sex was the equivalent of the X-Men's baseball. Looks like sex is also the Krakoan equivalent too.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I remarked about Wicdiv once that for them sex was the equivalent of the X-Men's baseball. Looks like sex is also the Krakoan equivalent too.
    Sex is truly the new mutant sport.

BANNED

I may not like his view on a favorite character or two, but damn does he say all the right things. I've been waiting for someone to put an end to the cheap death stories for decades at this point and I'm barely decades old. It's so lazy. Good on ya, Hickman.

They have gotta stop reading the boards though. That's gonna drive them nuts and many a writer has read what X-Men fans think and whined about it. Speaking as a admitted crazy fan, I wouldn't do it. Even though I think some of us are really right about things not too far from often.

Will do a full listen when I am off work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I'm honestly devastated that Carey isn't coming back. It truly hurt my day lol

Now I think Warren Ellis is getting the Moira book.
    Yeah me too.

Even before we found out about everything I was hoping he would be the writer for an Excalibur reboot.

I'm happy they reached out to him though.

He did reveal that Leah Williams came up with the Storm/Jean callback after Jean's resurrection in HOX #5.

Maybe there was more, don't remember.