Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Additionally, think about how often people misinterpret intent when TALKING to one another in their daily lives. In person.
    And that's WITH the benefit of SEEING their faces and HEARING their voices.
    And here WE are.....reading text...on a screen... often convinced we're being abundantly clear in our articulation.

And yet.
    Absolutely. It is incredibly hard to pick up on a wider cultural symptom and address it without sounding like you are joining in with that wider cultural argument.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Rogue View Post
    I'm being deliberately discreet, as frankly, I'm not getting paid for this ****, but the status quo shift ain't been at all stealthy, really, but it hasn't been mentioned on these boards thus far, folks have been chasing their tails.
    Also, a case in point I accidentally said ‘has been entirely taken off the table’ when I meant ‘hadn’t been’. That was probably a symptom of writing on a modern device that tries to guess what you are writing. They don’t always help.

The status quo shift is only just beginning to happen. We have seen prologue so far. It contains huge change but essentially everyone is understandably focused on the current villains and the geopolitical shake-up. The way the themes develop over the next two months and lead up to whatever happens on December 18th (if anything other than convergence of publishing schedules) will be very interesting.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Finally got a chance to listen to this. I found it very inspiring and it made me excited for what's coming. From my experience here, most posters on this board have known the franchise has been broken for a long time, but to hear him say it was very validating. I was definitely one of those people who expected more negative/depressing stories to be starting soon, so I'm glad that's not his approach. I love that he called out creators who came in with pitches that were immediately destructive. Hopefully that sent a message. I love that he's ending the shock deaths for a while and forcing creators to be more creative and less lazy. Loved his take on providing added value with the data pages. All-in-all, awesome interview.

I think it is very telling that the original PoX pitch used Days of Future Past as where everything got broken. I think that gives us a lot of insight into why Hickman has left the current future blank. We shouldn’t misconstrue the fact that we have seen the far future of previous lives of Moira as some kind of mission statement. To me it feels like the opposite. That this seeks to free us entirely from the dark future storyline that has infected and corroded the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    boy, i dont like Hickmans ‘style’, or his ideas of what makes a good X story

He says the Xmen were broken, i dont think so
    He says the metaphor was not broad enough, universal, enough. I don’t think so.

Its gonna be a long few years.

Marauders #1 sucked.
    Depends for who the metaphor wasn't broad enough? because I always thought it was even too broad.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Nrama: We’ve seen plenty of mutants on the covers for X-Men so far. Who would you say comprises the core cast?

White: Cyclops.

That’s it for the core!
    But every issue, Scott is calling on the best and brightest to tackle whatever adventure awaits. He’s got all of mutantkind at his fingertips, he’s going to be bringing in some great surprises.

You just don`t see it or don`t want to see. Not interested to continue it. Only time will tell.
    Well the reaching and gymnastics to say x-men is not a solo Cyclops, would make simone biles jealous.

It's the most obvious a team book is a solo.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    Who else would you want?
    To what? to be the solo protagonist or to be part of the x-men team?

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Like you need to ask...
    writrs can put their favorites, but not me. ok then
    Last edited by spirit2011; 10-29-2019 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Depends for who the metaphor wasn't broad enough? because I always thought it was even too broad.
    He never used the word metaphor.

My favorite part of the interview is when Hickman implied all us X-Fans are entitled shills only looking to promote our personal favorite characters regardless of standing or importance to the story even if it means dragging other characters down.

Cause he's right.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That interview gave me life. Hickman's speaking voice is magical. I wanted him to hold me the entire time.
    The narrative & fandom are broken: Swoon.
    The readership is more than the voices online: Chills.
    Interpretation of story vs reading comprehension: Shook.
    His love for Carey and Gillen: Same.
    All this and then some!
    As an X-Men reader/collector for a number of decades I am in 100% agreement with HiX-Man's thinking.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Macallan View Post
    My favorite part of the interview is when Hickman implied all us X-Fans are entitled shills only looking to promote our personal favorite characters regardless of standing or importance to the story even if it means dragging other characters down.

Cause he's right.
    He does the same thing, so this is all fun to me

That interview gave me life. Hickman's speaking voice is magical. I wanted him to hold me the entire time.
    The narrative & fandom are broken: Swoon.
    The readership is more than the voices online: Chills.
    Interpretation of story vs reading comprehension: Shook.
    His love for Carey and Gillen: Same.
    Quoted For Truth.

I love how Hickman speaks.

I wish all writers were like this.

And specifically editorial.

He does the same thing, so this is all fun to me
    Well i've only read 13 of his X-Men related issues so far, and I would assume you think his personal favorite is Moira or Magneto?

Well i've only read 13 of his X-Men related issues so far, and I would assume you think his personal favorite is Moira or Magneto?
    Magento is his favorite mutant. 13 issues is a lot of comics

Mighty Member

Cause he's right.
    Well if one's favorite happens to be Cyclops, Emma or Kitty then I suppose your in heaven.

Magento is his favorite mutant. 13 issues is a lot of comics
    That would be my guess, but I do not feel like he has placed Magneto above other characters at their expense or at odds with the overall narrative. Magneto so far feels perfectly in line with the amount of exposure I would expect of the character based on the story being told and Erik's importance to the brand. Hickman has not overused him nor is he giving Magneto an unfair push in my opinion, so in that regards, I do not feel like he is like most X-Fans.
    Last edited by Macallan; 10-29-2019 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Well if one's favorite happens to be Cyclops, Emma or Kitty then I suppose your in heaven.

I would imagine if you're a Moira, Lorna, or Goldballs fan you're probably happy with your favorite character getting more screentime as well. The importance and legacy of Cyclops and Kate to the X-Men brand is pretty self explanitory, and Emma is a fan favorite and important to the story as she is of paramount importance to the economic viability of a mutant nation state, so it makes sense for Emma to be front and center.