Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Toxic ships that hinder characters sell better. Many of the older ships have been played out for ages. I don't even like them, but Jean x Scott was the only decent ship where both characters worked well together, imo. Until Morrison screwed it up.

Otherwise, 98% these so-called "iconic" pairings need to die & have some new & fun stuff explored. The same old drama, toxicity, or just plain what the Hell do they see in each other, is stale.
    Comics relationships go really fast to entropy , mostly because the writers and editors screw over the relationships and continuity.
    Soon nobody will care about relaitonships
    Scott and Jean could be perfectly tolerable, if wasn't for Morrison and then writers doubling down on that

I still thinks with myself how DC blew continuity so bad that they need spreadsheets to figure out things
    Last edited by spirit2011; 10-31-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    To each their own. Rogue and Gambit were the only ones more annoying to me than Scott and Jean in the '90s. Actually, I kind of hated almost every '90s X-supercouple. I was thrilled when Betsy stepped out on then-staid Warren. He'd been used to domesticate her. Their relationship didn't become interesting til Remender IMO.
    I'd say the problem lies more in the way 90s writting focused too much on the soap opera elements. Even Ororo was crying on her knees because of Forge back then. Lobdell and the others spent too much time on melodramatic plots.

Having said that, it's funny to think Morrison chose to portray Scott and Jean as 'boring'. It's clear he wasn't reading the x-comics back then because they were never written as boring intentionally. And, yes, Rogue and Gambit were much more problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Morrisson wanted to bring Jean back. It had nothing to do with Emma and everything to do with editorial fucking up Momo's plans.
    No, he didn't. I searched many interviews post x-men and the only things he cares is Scott and then Scott and Emma. Going by how he choose to end his Batman Inc, Jean getting back seems unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I really don't want to be that person but Jean has done nothing to Emma, of course Emma fans don't have reason to hate Jean.
    Meanwhile Jean was dumped and killed for more than a decade just at the same time that emma and scemma were pushed. Not saying that is the only reason but it sure didn't help.
    There are Jean fans who like Emma though.
    You haven't been on twitter then
    Last edited by spirit2011; 10-31-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I agree most "classic" XMen relationships are terrible mostly due to writers missing the point of what Claremont was doing and coming back again and again to the same well.
    RoguexColossus and GambitxKitty could have been fun. Gambit has chemistry with lots of characters but Rogue is turned into the nagging wife from every unfunny sitcom every time theyre together. Duggan was a genius for pairing herr up with Deadpool and Ill always be salty at that plot being dropped.
    I loved RoguePool. And I was sour as Hell was it got dropped to go back to a status quo ship. But I am glad Duggan gave a good chapter where everything was wrapped up & it's made clear they cared for each other. One of my favorite Deadpool issues. So the salt faded because it got great closure.

I liked Creed x Monet by Bunn. I was full of salt anyway since Bunn was one of the only 3 writers to do Creed justice as a character in 16 years. Anyway, Bunn had the voices down, and I loved their interactions. Now that entire pairing is filler and unlike RoguePool, it never got closure with feelings addressed. So I am still salty at Bunn's loss of the characters & the erasure of the ship & development. Aside from Synch, Monet had no other love interests I cared for. And Creed is always glued to Mystique -another pairing that needs to burn in Hell that Marvel is intent of forcing.

C.B. Cebulski talks about all this romance in DoX. If it ain't Monet x Synch, he hasn't got my attention. lol Chances are, it'll be the same old crap.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-31-2019 at 04:21 PM.

In fairness, I am not one to be trusted with romance. If it were up to me wild-ass Betsy might end up having a torrid affair with new scholar/mutant sorcerer supreme Apocalypse in spite of everything that went down in UXF. Or Ric might cuck on-a-break Shatterstar with Exodus. That's not even getting to what I'd do with Wifi.
    Hmm, I bet, the mind boggles!

The Rogue and Colossus pairing kinda works for me, mainly for the reason you stated of opposites in temperaments, but for me somewhat more equal too, in ways. She could believably chase him as much as she'd get him to chase her. Having her chase Gambit would be too weird, he'll always be the hound dog. Also 'Cologue' leaves Rogue be lighter, mercurial and funny, and him being provoked to express different sides of his character, something he needs.
    But alas it would never be, too many casuals and nostalgics sticking their oars in, wanting the familiarity of Romy. Romy do work, they are a classic romance trope, and imo the toxicity comes more from the fanbases than the pages, or people just mud slinging out of spite/moods/dissatisfaction......

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    '. It's clear he wasn't reading the x-comics back then because they were never written as boring intentionally.c.
    No couple at Marvel has ever been written as intentionally boring.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I really don't want to be that person but
    LOL you're always that person

Hickman... "I'm fixing all the old toys"....
    Hickman break all the old toys...

Fantastic Member

I agree most "classic" XMen relationships are terrible mostly due to writers missing the point of what Claremont was doing and coming back again and again to the same well.
    RoguexColossus and GambitxKitty could have been fun. Gambit has chemistry with lots of characters but Rogue is turned into the nagging wife from every unfunny sitcom every time theyre together. Duggan was a genius for pairing herr up with Deadpool and Ill always be salty abt that plot being dropped.
    Is it really 'terrible' that other writers missed the point of Claremont wanting to turn everyone bisexual and have everyone hook up with everyone eventually? In what world is that a better outcome?

Rogue and Colossus was a single kiss that ignored its own continuity in Rogue being able to steal his powers, even.

I think it's more accurate to simply say that the large, large majority of marvel writers can't write a functional, interesting relationship. But I see that as a lot of the same with character deaths--marvel writers kill characters off (and relationships) so often that the shock factor is entirely gone, and it's more novel to write a story where neither of those things happen.

I would've iced Gambit years ago. He's never been anything but cliches to me. I disliked him even before adjectiveless began long ago. But he has his fans, her fanbase loves him and he's more tolerable than he used to be, so it's whatever.
    Nice. Please tell me that was an intentional UXM 350 joke.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

BANNED

RoguexColossus and GambitxKitty could have been fun. Gambit has chemistry with lots of characters but Rogue is turned into the nagging wife from every unfunny sitcom every time theyre together. Duggan was a genius for pairing herr up with Deadpool and Ill always be salty abt that plot being dropped.
    Rogue & Deadpool was a pairing with a huge payoff since we saw a lot of build-up to it. But Duggan wanted to give the biggest punch to the gut we could ever expect with this scene

deadpool_and_rogue.jpg

It still hurts. So the pairing had to be undone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Nice. Please tell me that was an intentional UXM 350 joke.
    Bold of you to assume I bothered reading UXM regularly in the 300s.

RoguePool is dead but an angel from heaven should at least bring back their big sis/lil' bro energy.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Ugh, I miss Rogue and Deadpool's interactions. I hated the way he was treated in Mr. and Mrs. X after the two of them became as close as Avengers.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    Ugh, I miss Rogue and Deadpool's interactions. I hated the way he was treated in Mr. and Mrs. X after the two of them became as close as Avengers.
    Agreed. Many are saying how he had a good showing there. But from the little I saw, it was just KT being petty and doing what she could to discredit the relationship and use Deadpool as a scapegoat to hype her ship. I try not to even acknowledge her writing and consider RoguePool ending with Duggan.

Makes me even more sick she of all people is the one who got Deadpool's solo to. I am hoping it won't last longer than Young's run, and someone else can get it -hopefully Bunn or Brisson.