Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    he is the writer, sure. He has the power that fans doesn't have, so why talk down the fans? because obviously he is giving his favorites a lot

Fans not having expectation? where is this utopia?
    You wouldn't feel talk down to if you didn't feel it applied to you. JMO though. I didn't think two craps about a lot of these so called "attacks" on fans.

If someone said all humans literally eat crap i wouldn't feel any other way than that person is crazy because it's not a fact of my life.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    You wouldn't feel talk down to if you didn't feel it applied to you. JMO though. I didn't think two craps about a lot of these so called "attacks" on fans.

If someone said all humans literally eat crap i wouldn't feel any other way than that person is crazy because it's not a fact of my life.
    I think that Hickman want to write x-men and not feel bothered by other people fave characters. Ok then, also don't write your fave characters to start the equal footing

If he wants to use his favorites without people criticizing he is not being realist
    How do you know who his faves are? I remember him saying monet, canonball, and i think one other person on twitter (short list) but the ones he actually named we haven't really even seen much. Is there a link to these other faves you keep implying?
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

That's not how it works. You need to be realistic.

He's the writer. He can use whoever he wants to use to tell his story.

Just because he's not using your favorite character to your satisfaction doesnt mean he's doing a bad job.

He has stated that Magento and Emma are some of his favorite characters.

And they are important to the story he is telling.
    Last edited by CGAR; 10-29-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Readership entitlement is strong.

How do you know who his faves are? I remember him saying monet, canonball, and i think one other person on twitter (short list) but the ones he actually named we haven't really even seen much. Is there a link to these other faves you keep implying?
    We saw lot of Emma and Magneto, also some really important Sinister. And he also Likes Cyclops a lot even if he is not on top 5

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    That's not how it works. You need to be realistic.

He's the writer. He can use whoever he wants to use to tell his story.

Just because he's not using your favorite character to your satisfaction doesnt mean he's doing a bad job.

He has stated that Magento and Emma are some of his favorite characters.

And they are important to the story he is telling.
    And people can criticize him for doing it.

Seems like he wants to have his cake and eat it

If Hickman were really only focusing on his favorites, HoX/PoX would have been New Mutants books.

So your point boils down to he's not using the character you want him to use?

We saw lot of Emma and Magneto, also some really important Sinister. And he also Likes Cyclops a lot even if he is not on top 5

Just because someone writes a lot of a character doesn't mean he likes them. Kishomoto wrote a lot of Sakura, even created her, but that doesn't mean he liked her.
    Sometimes characters you absolutely loathe can just be more fun for you to write because they are so unlike you.
    Sometimes characters you love to read about can be boring to write for. It's a pretty fluid thing.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I disagree with the first part even though i can see the point. I personally will not buy a book that doesn't have any diversity in it. It's not reflective of the world outside my window and IMO if a writer can only come up with faves that look like them their is an inherent problem with their skill. For me that's my one requirement that i force on any writer. It may be unfair to them in their opinion but it is what it is. But simply not buying isn't a great option in that case you also need to make it known why you aren't.
    I do respect this point, and I think writers should be open to constructive criticism on this front.

It's different when you criticize him for not using a character YOU want him to use.

He's not using Betsy Braddock. I understand that she doesnt have a part in the story he is telling right now.

I am not faulting him for that. I understand that her story will be told by another writer.

Personally i think the most interesting thing is what he said about pitches. Even those within marvel are waiting for the other shoe to drop because things have been that bad for the x-men behind the scenes. It's kind of crazy to think how many writers walk in with pitches that probably end up "putting the mutants in their place." Hopefully the thing this fixes from now to the future is all those dark pitches. I can't imagine people walking into the Avengers offices with a bunch of bleak stories instead of big stories.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Macallan View Post
    And what's wrong with being a fan of the thing you're writing?
    Literally all of comics creators are fans. They might not be active readers, but no one working in comics is doing it to get rich. You work in comics because you love comics.

BANNED

So fun to see the thread for such an interesting interview derailed by nonsense bullshit again. I'm sure that's exactly what we all come here for.

Also rants about X-Men being a secret Cyclops solo despite multiple posters making reasoned and logical responses and then immediately gets super defense when people point out X-Men Red, was an actual secret Jean solo.

Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So let me see if I understand correctly

Jim Lee era X-men: Cyclops solo
    Morrison era X-men: Cyclops solo
    Bendis era X-men: Cyclops solo
    Whedon X-men: Cyclops solo
    Rosenberg Uncanny: Cyclops solo

Apparently Cyclops in a Leadership position + Plus stories with him as important= Solo. I never thought I would be on a X-forum explaining how the first leader of the X-men, The character who has been traditional main field leader and is one the who has general takeover the X-men org when Xavier is not around.Is important character to the franchise and popular character so he gets to be front center in things when he is leader. How is the set up of X-men different from another X book in past? How is book leader guaranteed to get slight more time any different book from the past ala Extraordinary X-men (Storm) X-men Gold era(Kitty) Post Schim (Wolverine). OMG the tactical leader of the X-men at the time is front center that makes the book a solo not tactical leader well leading. The fact people don't really understand the team leadership dynamic and historical importance individuals on the X-men is kinda baffling. But then it isn't because you see this quote

"The X-fans are basically a bunch of people who buy team books that think they should all be solo titles"

You realize it is dead on but apparently you have make adjustment to statement that "The X-fans are basically a bunch of people who buy team books that think they should all be solo titles or they think their favorite characters should get as much time more popular characters or characters given important roles in the story". But anyways covers are not completely indicative of what happens inside of book but when a writer says stories are mostly one shots and you see these covers

with these descriptions

X-men 4 The Krakoan leaders attend and economic forum to show the humans what real power looks like.

X-men 5 The X-Men, the most powerful heroes on the planet, deal with an old nemesis’ surprising return

Xmen 6 Mystique goes to extraordinary lengths to get what she wants

Yeah it is going to be a Cyclops solo but in within 3 issues, The primary focus is going to shift away from him.X-fans sigh
    Good effort, but you're applying rational thinking to emotional thinkers.

Personally i think the most interesting thing is what he said about pitches. Even those within marvel are waiting for the other shoe to drop because things have been that bad for the x-men behind the scenes. It's kind of crazy to think how many writers walk in with pitches that probably end up "putting the mutants in their place." Hopefully the thing this fixes from now to the future is all those dark pitches. I can't imagine people walking into the Avengers offices with a bunch of bleak stories instead of big stories.
    This. I was surprised no one was talking about this. Hickman highlighted in the interview that the problem with the X-Men was destructive writing for a very long time, and even when he took over with wanting a new direction for them, most writers just came up with the same old destructive approach. This says a lot about how the X-Men was generally viewed at Marvel. I'm glad we have someone who wants to change that and give the X-Men a more positive direction. And I think that's more important than how many times my favorite showed up in the comics.