Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    He's not but nice try.
    Clearly is. It is the Cyclop's saga. It is on the solicit

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    He's not but nice try.
    The truth is that’s his prerogative not ours.

(But Storm really should be at the center of everything)

Hickman was spot on with the death thing, I'm so glad he understands that.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Hickman was spot on with the death thing, I'm so glad he understands that.
    I don't think ressurrection solves the problem, but at least fit the story

I do find his comments interesting, especially given a comment he made in an earlier interview:
    I have some general philosophies on what kind of work you should do at Marvel, that I try and adhere to. I think the stories should be big. Any time you can mine your continuity and the existing continuity of the company in a way that evokes a response from audience and not confusion, that’s powerful, and you’re crazy not to utilize it when you’re writing these books. The cardinal rule beyond that is at the end of the day, after you’ve torn up the playroom and scattered all the toys, you put everything all back on the shelf. Don’t be an a—hole and leave a mess. You want to tell stories that matter, but the way you write things that matter in Marvel is that you’re not destructive, you’re additive.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Honestly, I don't know; I can't tell because I have trouble with that kind of rhetoric. To me? I do think it comes across as mean-spirited, just as when, in the autistic community, my fellow autists make blanket statements such as "All neurotypicals lack empathy," "Neurotypicals are trash," "Neurotypicals need to die," "Neurotypicals will never know how to love an autistic child" --though they explain the event that's lead to this, it doesn't sit right with me personally, because it doesn't seem to help anything. It just puts up more boundaries. However I'm not gonna police what they or you say. It's your view, but I struggle with the overall sentiment.

And though, yes, mutants are an oppressed people, it ties back to the question; is it really right to fall back on the same attitudes that they despise so much? Is it really helpful? If I, as an autistic person, where to immediately fall back on the rhetoric of "All neurotypicals are all evil," just because of the discrimination that I too have faced, would it actually help my cause or harm it? And not harm it for me, I mean for others way less able than myself. But then, I suppose that's a different to the metaphor of minorities. Either way, I can't help but draw a parrallel in how Emma appears to have said that particular sentence and the connotations drawn from it, especially in light of Magneto declaring himself a god in the same narrative.

And, again, I can't tell if Scott and Ororo were talking about just the ORCHIS crew specifically or "Man" in a broader sense. It isn't clear to me.
    Again, you aren’t being “the same” as your oppressor by talking about how shitty they are. That isn’t and will never be equivalent to having more privilege and power over others.

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    I hope not, Ellis has had his chance with the X-Books and failed every time.
    The Storm mini, Excalibur, X-Force reboot, Astonishing X-Men... all pretty rubbish.
    Excalibur was solid under Ellis. That’s one of his early works where I first noticed his name. TheStorm mini is utterly forgettable....I’ll forgive Ellis if you forgive Storm

Astonishing is a mixed bag.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    Connecting the continuity dots don’t necessarily seem like his style to me, but the sci-fi reincarnation bit, the inevitability of AI, and that fact that it’s Moira definitely do.
    For sure. There are certain elements that would really play to his strengths...her (relative) minimal history is a big one, but the sci-fi elements really seem like his thing.

Again, I won’t hold my breath, but it could be interesting. And Hickman did mention him by name in the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    I hope not, Ellis has had his chance with the X-Books and failed every time.
    The Storm mini, Excalibur, X-Force reboot, Astonishing X-Men... all pretty rubbish.
    I have never understood what people see in his books. Not saying he isn’t a good writer but I don’t see anything in his work that speaks to me or my tastes.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    Connecting the continuity dots don’t necessarily seem like his style to me, but the sci-fi reincarnation bit, the inevitability of AI, and that fact that it’s Moira definitely do.
    It's also not very Ellis to write according to somebody else's outline.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I have never understood what people see in his books. Not saying he isn’t a good writer but I don’t see anything in his work that speaks to me or my tastes.
    If I'd only read his X-books, I'd agree, but his Thunderbolts is great. His Ultimates Galactus stuff is great. Moon Knight is great. Secret Avengers was great.
    Last edited by H-E-D; 10-28-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I do find his comments interesting, especially given a comment he made in an earlier interview:
    And you may notice that in this podcast he is clearly talking about moving things to a better place at the end of his run, NOT as some kept incorrectly interpreting ‘back as they were’.

We really don’t want to see the books back in the quagmire they have been in for years.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Ellis wrote Nextwave, so I declare him an X-God by default.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Ellis wrote Nextwave, so I declare him an X-God by default.
    I guess you had to be there. I stopped reading comics way before this and I don’t see it now. Maybe it dated badly.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    If I'd only read his X-books, I'd agree, but his Thunderbolts is great. His Ultimates Galactus stuff is great. Moon Knight is great. Secret Avengers was great.
    Yes, his Moon knight was good. Mostly because of the art and clearly that was partly down to his writing. Thunderbolts was not great from my perspective.

I guess what I am saying is that him coming onto the books wouldn’t excite me. It might be good, who knows. I just don’t get the enthusiasm.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 10-28-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    And you may notice that in this podcast he is clearly talking about moving things to a better place at the end of his run, NOT as some kept incorrectly interpreting ‘back as they were’.

We really don’t want to see the books back in the quagmire they have been in for years.
    Yeah this is why I don't get people who are screaming about 'Xavier's dream being dead' in this run. Hickman is not a cynical writer. We've seen in the future of 9 timelines that mutants always lose to post-humans but that's not going to be the case at the end. I can almost guarantee that the future of timeline X will be one of co-existence. No idea how he gets there but I'm very sure about that.

Sure some future writer will probably revert the status quo to another extinction plot but that's just the nature of comics. As for what Hickman leaves the books, I think it will be very different.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Yeah this is why I don't get people who are screaming about 'Xavier's dream being dead' in this run. Hickman is not a cynical writer. We've seen in the future of 9 timelines that mutants always lose to post-humans but that's not going to be the case at the end. I can almost guarantee that the future of timeline X will be one of co-existence. No idea how he gets there but I'm very sure about that.
    I can understand why they might think his dream is dead, that appears to be the setup and the current status-quo. I agree with your projection however. What I find interesting is that Hickman sees it more as introducing a new perspective into the mix with Moira. A new philosophy that conflicts with that of Charles, Erik, Apocalypse, Sinister, etc. That appears to be how he sees things structurally.