Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Again, you aren’t being “the same” as your oppressor by talking about how shitty they are. That isn’t and will never be equivalent to having more privilege and power over others.
    I still don't understand; how do snide remarks and blanket statements disassemble that privilege and power? (Which I'm not denying exists, just by the way.) But what good does it do? And, for that matter, how is it different?
    Last edited by Domino_Dare-Doll; 10-28-2019 at 05:13 PM.

I love that Hickman ask KG for advice and runs his story’s by him

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    "The X-fans are basically a bunch of people who buy team books that think they should all be solo titles."-Hickman (2019) Straight Truth
    Well Newsarama posted a new interview with JDW that clearly supports this line of thinking. White all but confirms that X-men is a Cyclops solo with rotating guest stars, Cyclops is the only core cast member he says. If that's not the definition of a solo I don't know what is.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Well Newsarama posted a new interview with JDW that clearly supports this line of thinking. White all but confirms that X-men is a Cyclops solo with rotating guest stars, Cyclops is the only core cast member he says. If that's not the definition of a solo I don't know what is.
    That's not the same. Hickman seems to want to explore a lot of different facets of Krakoa, the mutant world (for example, we know some are going to an economic forum) and the X-men using dozens of different characters, it's just that Cyclops will be the one constant.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I still don't understand; how do snide remarks and blanket statements disassemble that privilege and power? (Which I'm not denying exists, just by the way.) But what good does it do? And, for that matter, how is it different?
    Well not every action or comment needs to be towards disassembling racist institutions. Sometimes I just want to talk about unseasoned food and raisins in potato salad without it being a thinkpiece. It’s different because it’s punching up, cracking jokes or remarks at a group with high power and status. What real danger is a poor person doing by saying rich ppl suck golden balls? Compare that to someone like Elon Musk (eugh) saying all poor people suck....idk dirty, muddy balls??? Bad analogy aside, even though both sides are making relatively the same joke, because one group has less power, it becomes an act of punching down at a community or group that already suffers from societal discrimination.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Well not every action or comment needs to be towards disassembling racist institutions. Sometimes I just want to talk about unseasoned food and raisins in potato salad without it being a thinkpiece. It’s different because it’s punching up, cracking jokes or remarks at a group with high power and status. What real danger is a poor person doing by saying rich ppl suck golden balls? Compare that to someone like Elon Musk (eugh) saying all poor people suck....idk dirty, muddy balls??? Bad analogy aside, even though both sides are making relatively the same joke, because one group has less power, it becomes an act of punching down at a community or group that already suffers from societal discrimination.
    So both parties are just out to be mean for the sake of making themselves feel good? Because they can, basically? (Though I do understand how the party punching down does more harm on a societal level because, that's just being a fucking arsehole.)

...So Emma, Lorna and Storm are just stooping to Magneto's line of thinking? Or, have fallen to it gradually, as the case may be? Eye for an eye?
    Last edited by Domino_Dare-Doll; 10-28-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    That's not the same. Hickman seems to want to explore a lot of different facets of Krakoa, the mutant world (for example, we know some are going to an economic forum) and the X-men using dozens of different characters, it's just that Cyclops will be the one constant.
    basically a solo with the name X-men.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Yep. Cyclops get numerous issues to be the center of attention to his sidekicks. And other characters rotate in and out, some possibly not appearing for numerous issues.

BANNED

It's not a solo with rotating guest stars. It's a book with one central character and others will switch in and out depending on what the central character is doing.

I don't know how you don't see the difference. Hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Yep. Cyclops get numerous issues to be the center of attention to his sidekicks. And other characters rotate in and out, some possibly not appearing for numerous issues.
    He will be the only character getting constant or even any development at all;

I find it funny how Hickman says that x-men fans expect teams as solo and then make the flagship centered only on Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    It's not a solo with rotating guest stars. It's a book with one central character and others will switch in and out depending on what the central character is doing.

I don't know how you don't see the difference. Hahahaha
    This has irony or is serious

Yeah Cyclops is the main constant of the series which makes sense since he doesn't have another book like Storm, Wolverine, Jean, Emma etc.. but the focus will be on different characters. This won't be like Gold or Red which were lowkey solos (not to hate on them.. actually to hate on Gold only since I liked Red). But there will be issues with Erik and Charles, an issue with Mystique but as captain commander, Scott will play an important role through this wave till the next phase of Hickman's run

I expect Cyclops role in the book to be kind of like he was in HoX (except with more screen time). Running and organizing missions. Some he'll be personally involved in and some he could delegate to the other captains.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I think killing characters can be good. Or them dying. Feels a bit like a "happy coincidence" he has this take when it's probably exactly what Marvel as a corporation wants too (keep everyone alive to maximize exposure and use them for merchandise and other media), so I'm a bit skeptical about it and cynical

He kept saying the X-Men as a franchise (and fandom!) were "broken" and all this but didn't really specifically get into what he feels that means... so hard to truly assess. Right now it feels like his run is taking all the "dystopic" aspects and cranking them up even higher though, so if his goal is " a return to noble co-existence " it's a strange route to take to get there

A lot of what else he said was kind of... rambling? And sort of highly vague talk about the craft. At least he praised a few other creators that was good, and he had a few self deprecating moments
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-29-2019 at 04:40 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Yeah Cyclops is the main constant of the series which makes sense since he doesn't have another book like Storm, Wolverine, Jean, Emma etc.. but the focus will be on different characters. This won't be like Gold or Red which were lowkey solos (not to hate on them.. actually to hate on Gold only since I liked Red). But there will be issues with Erik and Charles, an issue with Mystique but as captain commander, Scott will play an important role through this wave till the next phase of Hickman's run

I expect Cyclops role in the book to be kind of like he was in HoX (except with more screen time). Running and organizing missions. Some he'll be personally involved in and some he could delegate to the other captains.
    What other book have Jean, Storm? they are only in their own respective books, x-force and Marauders

The only person with two books is Wolverine.

For me it is crazy that they really went for Cyclops being th eonly protagonist of x-men

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

What other book have Jean, Storm? they are only in their own respective books, x-force and Marauders

The only person with two books is Wolverine.

For me it is crazy that they really went for Cyclops being th eonly protagonist of x-men
    Jean and Storm only have X-Force and Marauders respectively. Cyclops only has X-Men.

This is different, how exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Jean and Storm only have X-Force and Marauders respectively. Cyclops only has X-Men.

This is different, how exactly?
    That cyclops is the absolute main focus of x-men?