Page 18 of 149 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    Watch this and tell me there's any hope that a Superman show on the CW won't be a trainwreck.

Would rather much watch a JLU action set piece. Or YJ.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    No, All i am saying is that fight scenes have to look good. It should be a if not the priority. That was always my point. Anything that isn't will be bad for me. As for daredevil, hallway fight is the most talked about because its excellent . But, i don't think it is the only good fight. For instance, fights with punisher, nobu.. Etc were also good. Well, yeah! Spidey does that.Superman should too. He should lift trees to entertain a baby and do summersaults .like a monkey.
    9 out of 10 people can't recall a single other seen in Daredevil other than that first hallway fight. 5 out 10 probably only watched that hallway fight on YouTube. The rest of that show was not that great. The second season, other than Punisher, was pretty lame actually and the Hand is not well thought of.

You said comics are just soap opera's. They aren't. They never have been just that. If it was things like "strongest one there is" and "fastest man alive" wouldn't exist.general audiences would care character doesn't have an impressive showing for instance hulk in avengers infinity war and endgame peoples unanimously declared hulk was bad in those movies. Stylised fighting isn't just fisty cuffs. It is by definition extention of drama and tension. People very much care about that in action genre.
    I don't know what to tell you. Comic books are soap operas in spandex and with a little more fighting. They've been that way for decades. Tag lines don't disprove that. They are action soaps, certainly. But they are soap operas 100%. A bunch of YouTuber's "unanimously" declare Hulk was bad in those movies. Just like a bunch declared Captain Marvel a boring failure. I just came from my kids Halloween parade. There were more Captain Marvel costumes than Spider-Man.

Antman isn't heist movie. It has heist elements (handled badly in my opinion). Snyder movies had action set pieces. It just wasn't spread out nor was it that great. It was just unrelenting cgi fest and building's collapsing and very tiring. It also lacked finese and every fighter was basically a brawler. It feels like snyder puts in these set pieces just for the sake of it. Not as an extension of the drama. But, he still does do a decent ties when fight begin. Like zod's motive, clark stopping fist of abomination from hitting luthor. I would argue that shazam/superman animated movie had better choreography and pacing. It had moments of breather and tension. I have never said you can't do a romcom as some additional flavour. All i am saying, action should never be an after thought.it should be front and centre. Not romcom or whatever.
    Except for the last fight in the first movie, most of Ant Man's action scenes are superhero flavored heists. It's a superhero heist movie. Just like Winter Soldier is a Superhero political thriller that took inspiration from the 70's political movies. This is semantics, because again, no one is arguing - except you - that this show will be all drama or not focus on Superman or super heroics. Literally no one expects more diaper changes than Superheroics. They specially said it will be about balancing all that.

If you're concern is it will look cheap - that's fine. I'll agree with you it likely won't have the production value of the HBO shows. But it's likely to be CW's flagship show so I expect it will get a better budget than some of the others. But to say it's going to be garbage is a stretch. Because again, Daredevil had one good fight scene and that's all it's now known for. Titans just pulled some PS2 level graphics for Trigon in it's season premiere. Swamp Thing is a guy in a fancy rubber suit. CW has pulled off better CGI than both of those.

Jon seems to be the only thing benefitting from this. Clark kent character should too as well. I hate that clark is being treated as lameass guy who just does drama and romance . when he can do a finger stand, lol!
    We don't even know if Jon will be old enough to be a focus of this. He's likely to be, but again no one knows that. And literally no one expects Clark to be treated as a "lameass guy who just does drama and romance." Literally no one. CW show won't be that. You'd get the same mix of drama and action as you see in Titans, Doom Patrol or Swamp Thing. You mix drama and romance with the super heroics. Like every single one of the CW shows does.
    Last edited by Yoda; 10-31-2019 at 10:06 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    9 out of 10 people can't recall a single other seen in Daredevil other than that first hallway fight. 5 out 10 probably only watched that hallway fight on YouTube. The rest of that show was not that great. The second season, other than Punisher, was pretty lame actually and the Hand is not well thought of.

I don't know what to tell you. Comic books are soap operas in spandex and with a little more fighting. They've been that way for decades. Tag lines don't disprove that. They are action soaps, certainly. But they are soap operas 100%. A bunch of YouTuber's "unanimously" declare Hulk was bad in those movies. Just like a bunch declared Captain Marvel a boring failure. I just came from my kids Halloween parade. There were more Captain Marvel costumes than Spider-Man.

Except for the last fight in the first movie, most of Ant Man's action scenes are superhero flavored heists. It's a superhero heist movie. Just like Winter Soldier is a Superhero political thriller that took inspiration from the 70's political movies. This is semantics, because again, no one is arguing - except you - that this show will be all drama or not focus on Superman or super heroics. Literally no one expects more diaper changes than Superheroics. They specially said it will be about balancing all that.

If you're concern is it will look cheap - that's fine. I'll agree with you it likely won't have the production value of the HBO shows. But it's likely to be CW's flagship show so I expect it will get a better budget than some of the others. But to say it's going to be garbage is a stretch. Because again, Daredevil had one good fight scene and that's all it's now known for. Titans just pulled some PS2 level graphics for Trigon in it's season premiere. Swamp Thing is a guy in a fancy rubber suit. CW has pulled off better CGI than both of those.

We don't even know if Jon will be old enough to be a focus of this. He's likely to be, but again no one knows that. And literally no one expects Clark to be treated as a "lameass guy who just does drama and romance." Literally no one. CW show won't be that. You'd get the same mix of drama and action as you see in Titans, Doom Patrol or Swamp Thing. You mix drama and romance with the super heroics. Like every single one of the CW shows does.
    Where is your source for that statistic?i agree about the hand.

Nope! How is planet hulk or world war hulk or immortal hulk just Soap opera? Is that why superman and doomsday punched each other to death.Hulk is about strongest one there is.superman/flash race are also written because it matters. The best moment in Snyder's jl is fatherson superman punch. Action matters. If you think it doesn't you are being naive. Good fights are fantastic to read through. People waited years for the sasuke and naruto fight. You might think they are beneath you. Powerlevel discussions and such. But, it is very much part of comics. If people want just soap opera they have better avenues. Superpowered cape fights and action only happens in comics. They will always matter. Why do you think superman went from leaping tall building to flying?

I was talking about hulk fans. i have yet to see a hulk fan who thinks hulk had a great showing. Campea and others also seem to think hulk was way underutilised as well.i haven't seen anyone coming out of the theatre claiming how great hulk was after endgame . To the contrary hulk was everyone's favourite character in the first avengers movie. I admit that is no statics. Do you honestly think hulk had good showing? .As for captain marvel, no comments.

Look, you can say it's heist all you want. But, i just don't think it has enough good quality as a heist movie. That is just my opinion. As for winter soldier. it's great. It's fantastic. But calling it a political thriller is pushing it. That's just me.
    Dude, someone above just commented that fight choreography will never be important. How am i supposed to take that? That basically means, drama focus with second rate action.here is the quote,
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    It’s not just a matter of CG.

Movies are run by directors, editors, cinematographers.

TV is generally run from the writers’ room.

You might get lucky and get Justin Lin to direct an episode but stuff like fight choreography is not going to take priorityin a medium run by writers, with directors as hired hands who have 5 days to shoot an episode.
    Diaper changing thing is a quote from jerry siegel. He said he didn't want clois married because of he didn't want things like i mentioned. Diaper didn't have to literally change. Not focusing on action and fantasy or making it a priority is itself enough to say drama will be more important. that is clark stuck changing metaphorical diapers.

Look, it doesn't need production budget of hbo shows. It just needs priority.i posted video of fanfilm that has great fight choreography (better than the once in supergirl and the one you provided anyways ) without any budget. I think guys who have actual budget like cw can do something. If the prority is drama. If Action scenes and choreography are treated like nothing. That's fine. I don't think it's what superman ip needs right now. Nor do i agree with notion superman is a romcom and drama character. Man of action will always remain that. No matter what.i don't care about cg much. It just needs to look decent not unnatural. Fight choreography was our point of discussion. Those two are different things.

That's the though, i haven't watched much titans yet. I don't know how good the fights are in those. But, doom patrol didn't have much fights. It wasn't about action. It was about fantasy and wierd adventures . It was a great show regardless. It was very character driven. Swamp thing was cool too, didn't have much action. It was more focused on mystery and horror(i wasn't particularly impressed with the horror). As for clark, he pretty much seen as that. I mean, the first thing people say is superman can't fight. He is just the dude that says things that are said to be inspiring and is super powerfull because of the sun.

I'm more excited about a new Superman show than anything yet on TV (and I watch most of the Superhero shows).

First of all, Superman is clearly not on the docket for any upcoming movies, thanks to the epic failure of Justice League and fan disdain of Man of Steel.

Second, Tyler Hoechlin and Elizabeth Tulloch have done well so far portraying the characters in guest appearances, so no complaints there.
    While they've been relegated to supporting roles because their names aren't on the marquee....as the leads they can finally dominate the action on their own show.
    I wouldn't expect this to be a rom-com like Lois & Clark based on the tone of the other CW shows, but will probably still explore their personal lives.
    Also hoping they get Jon Cryer back as Lex...he was surprisingly good in the part on Supergirl.

Thirdly, I have been so sick and tired of all the shows dancing around showing the main heroes we really want to see. Gotham had everything BUT Batman. Alfred is again, pre-Batman. Smallville gave us everything but what we really wanted...Superman in costume. I enjoy Supergirl and Batwoman, but both are main hero adjacent. Arrow spent the first couple of seasons being apologetic about embracing the superhero identity. How great to have the biggest hero of all as the main character of the show...finally. As an ongoing series I can't wait to see much of the mythos played out in live action, without all the dancing around the superhero issue.

Yes, it's TV not movie budget, but also...there's no movie coming. Any time soon. Sorry but I am digging the idea!

CW Superman isn't my first choice, but...

I hope is 13 episode season, like Black Lighting, the writing will be better and it would allow them to make better fights and CGI.
    Fight are important, for that they need to give Superman chances to atual fight, so bring on Mongul, Brainiac, Despero, etc.
    If Krypton is really dead, I hope HBOMax suaves it, but if it is dead, they should take that Doomsday and Brainiac, they are só good.
    After the Supergirl show make sure to afirm that she was better, the Superman show should make sure that everyone knows Superman is awesome.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Watch this and tell me there's any hope that a Superman show on the CW won't be a trainwreck.

Has the budget on these shows gone down? I remember the CGI being poor but this is unusually slapdash and poorly paced.

The Superdad aspects and possible Daily Planet material should allow some padding to direct more time and money into the special effects, but I just don't know how they're going to pull off a satisfying Superman show in the confines of this long-running Arrowverse continuity on top of... Well, let's face it. His material has been mined and repurposed for Kara and he's essentially been jobbing for her for long enough that I'm skeptical he's got much left to work with that's not being a family man.

Which could work, but color me ambivalent at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Has the budget on these shows gone down? I remember the CGI being poor but this is unusually slapdash and poorly paced.

The Superdad aspects and possible Daily Planet material should allow some padding to direct more time and money into the special effects, but I just don't know how they're going to pull off a satisfying Superman show in the confines of this long-running Arrowverse continuity on top of... Well, let's face it. His material has been mined and repurposed for Kara and he's essentially been jobbing for her for long enough that I'm skeptical he's got much left to work with that's not being a family man.

The problem is not even cgi. Call that a "fight" is the problem. That's not even a scuffle. If those are fights. Then this is clearly a drama and romance show. Meant for that audience.since, it's cw i don't think it will even be quality that kind of show.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

I'm assuming all the big CGI budgeting for these shows is going to the Crisis crossover. I have no facts on that, but Flash has looked subpar as well this season (though to be fair, it hasn't been this bad lol).
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I wouldn't even care if something looked this embarrassing, if it was well written. Shlock can be a lot of fun, but interesting ideas need to be there too. This is poorly done on every level.

It's really sad that this is how WB sees SUPERMAN, as a property. He's relegated to poorly made niche TV.

The CGI on Flash this season is bad too it seems they're saving the budget for COIE.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think it's an interesting premise and the lead actors have done a pretty good job so far. I'll be interested in checking this out. Hope the main focus is on Lois & Clark as reporters and parents, because these shows really don't have the budget to pull off the superheroics a lot of the time, particularly with these annual crossover events sucking up all the production costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think it's an interesting premise and the lead actors have done a pretty good job so far. I'll be interested in checking this out. Hope the main focus is on Lois & Clark as reporters and parents, because these shows really don't have the budget to pull off the superheroics a lot of the time, particularly with these annual crossover events sucking up all the production costs.
    What i don't understand is why do this when animated series was possible? Why reject the pitch for the animated show with same premise that can pull of awesome fights without much budget?if budget is such a huge issue deterring superheroics. Then they should have gone for the animated series.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-01-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Keep in mind, they're dividing their CGI budget between five different shows. It's one of the reasons I don't think it's a good idea to have so many super-hero shows on one network. That network is footing the bill for all of them. This isn't first season Arrow anymore. And even Arrow is doing the bulk of the COIE stuff so even it's more CGI heavy than usual. If CBS stopped carrying Supergirl because they couldn't afford to make it, imagine what it's costing CW. A network that doesn't have the same budget one of the major networks do.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I wouldn't even care if something looked this embarrassing, if it was well written. Shlock can be a lot of fun, but interesting ideas need to be there too. This is poorly done on every level.

It's really sad that this is how WB sees SUPERMAN, as a property. He's relegated to poorly made niche TV.
    Well there is Batwoman and there was Gotham show, Are/Where they better made than this or Smallville? I haven't heard very good things. Some hate it some like it.

What about Titans show?

I want to see what show gets better ratings, Supergirl or Superman and Lois.. It's the CW, so I'm not expecting great things or #s.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I highly doubt this will be written by anyone with actual interest in how journalists live or what the profession looks like in 2019.

It'll just be Perry White yelling about stories like it's 1933. Which leans more into making Superman and his world dated and uninteresting.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 11-01-2019 at 08:45 AM.