Page 37 of 149 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Big spoiler from the last episode of Arrow.

spoilers:
    So Diggle is moving to Metropolis and apparently has a green lantern ring. How high is the possibility he will be part of the supporting cast on the Superman and Lois show ? I personally wouldn't mind it as long as we don't get Green Lantern saving Superman every other episode.
    end of spoilers
    It's crazy how these shows seem to only operate off "teases" to better stories that can not be shown. Real pandering in such an unsatisfying way.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    An odd, possibly not-unrelated development: after 8 years of radio silence other than a single tweet advertising Crisis a few months ago, the official Smallville Twitter account has come out of hibernation to post this image:

What's the deal here? Reasonable option would be that they're doing the animated revival Welling and Rosenbaum talked about after all - next year's the 20th anniversary of its premiere and 10th of its finale - but the fact that it was tweeted the night of the Arrow finale makes me wonder if this might be CW-related. Unlikely possibility: it'd be fun if Welling and Durance (I can't imagine him being up for it, but she would be) occasionally guested on Superman & Lois as the multiversal equivalent of their neighbors who they get along with but who in spite of their similarities made one very major different life choice, i.e. that Clark 'retiring' young (along with Routh as Uncle Kal). With the Earth Prime Super Sons and the Earth-167 Super Daughters teaming up on occasion, with Jason White as their beleaguered dork-trying-to-be-a-cool-young-adult-role-model-for-the-kids chaperone.

Alternatively, a fun teen drama about a powerless Clark raising his superpowered daughters with Lois, and it's mostly lighthearted but once per season if not in fact per episode they ask if he wants to put his costume on for old time's sake and Welling screams NO until his eyes bulge out.
    Frankly, I could see CW pumping some money into the animated revival to get broadcast rights. Animated suits the actors/budget. CW has the fans. Rather than just going straight to video and popping up on an app, similar to Stargirl, I can see CW pumping money in from its division for broadcast rights.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

A reported description of the basic setup of the show from Primetimer (no idea whether that's a credible source or not, but it's close enough to time to film and this seems fleshed out enough with enough curveballs that I suspect it's legit):

As the series opens, LOIS LANE is still working at the Daily Planet, but CLARK KENT has just been fired following a massive layoff plan at the journal. His father JONATHAN KENT is no longer with them, while his mother MARTHA KENT is living alone on the farm where he grew up in Smallville. They have twins, JONATHAN and JORDAN KENT, who are thirteen and very different -- both physically and otherwise. Jonathan is the popular one, an all-star athlete who's about to enter the Varsity team, while Jordan is more introverted, anxiety prone, and very much into computers and video games. They don't know who their father really is... yet. And they may or may not have inherited his powers.

Lois's father GENERAL SAMUEL LANE is in the picture and knows about Clark. LANA LANG is also a big part of the show. She's a banker, still living in Smallville, with her husband KYLE CUSHING, a firefighter, and their daughters, SARAH, who's fourteen, and younger SOPHIE who's eight. They are in a dark place: Kyle is a drunk and Sarah tried to take her own life a year ago.

And yes, Superman has an enemy in this version of the story, who appears as THE STRANGER in the pilot. His true identity is revealed ar the end of the episode...
    Buh-bye

Assuming it's true, having a deeply troubled family with a suicidal kid as part of a Superman show's cast could be really, REALLY good or really, REALLY bad depending on how it's handled. Most likely some of both.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Assuming it's true, having a deeply troubled family with a suicidal kid as part of a Superman show's cast could be really, REALLY good or really, REALLY bad depending on how it's handled. Most likely some of both.
    Agreed. It really comes down to how they approach these issues.

A Superman show dealing with real world issues like lay offs, alcoholism, anxiety, depression and self-harm has the potential to be very powerful. By all means, tackle them. But do it with grace and really do it.

Lana Lang, unfortunately, has been the victim of some truly bad and inconsistent characterization in the past. I would hope that this set up is an opportunity to truly deal with these issues and not just a set up for her to be sad so Clark can go comfort her and then it looks like the writers are trying to play both sides and make him look unfaithful to his wife. I truly don’t want to think that way because God that’s so depressing but she’s a character who has been used so terribly in the past by some writers that that’s where the mind goes.

I don’t want a cheap exploration of these issues so they can push crappy CW drama that disrespects all involved. Explore serious issues for real or don’t bother doing it.

BANNED

I’m bummed that Clark and Lois aren’t at the DP together and I can’t shake the feeling that it has something to do with Supergirl stealing the journalism aspect from Superman. I really hope I’m wrong.

A reported description of the basic setup of the show from Primetimer (no idea whether that's a credible source or not, but it's close enough to time to film and this seems fleshed out enough with enough curveballs that I suspect it's legit):

As the series opens, LOIS LANE is still working at the Daily Planet, but CLARK KENT has just been fired following a massive layoff plan at the journal. His father JONATHAN KENT is no longer with them, while his mother MARTHA KENT is living alone on the farm where he grew up in Smallville. They have twins, JONATHAN and JORDAN KENT, who are thirteen and very different -- both physically and otherwise. Jonathan is the popular one, an all-star athlete who's about to enter the Varsity team, while Jordan is more introverted, anxiety prone, and very much into computers and video games. They don't know who their father really is... yet. And they may or may not have inherited his powers.

Lois's father GENERAL SAMUEL LANE is in the picture and knows about Clark. LANA LANG is also a big part of the show. She's a banker, still living in Smallville, with her husband KYLE CUSHING, a firefighter, and their daughters, SARAH, who's fourteen, and younger SOPHIE who's eight. They are in a dark place: Kyle is a drunk and Sarah tried to take her own life a year ago.

And yes, Superman has an enemy in this version of the story, who appears as THE STRANGER in the pilot. His true identity is revealed ar the end of the episode...
    Interesting that they’re going with biological twin sons, wonder why? Definitely going with their own take on Jon lol. Would’ve liked it to be a boy and girl but I’m cool with this set up. Sounds like Lana and her family will be part of the show which could make for a good compare and contrast with the Kents. I’m going to be optimistic, this all sounds interesting enough. especially Lois still at the Planet while Clark is out of a job. Too much to hope that Clark gets a job at the Daily Star under George Taylor? Lois and Clark being professional friendly competitors could be fun, especially since Clark can’t hide behind his Superman ID to scoop Lois lol.

$10 says that mysterious stranger is your favorite villain Dispenser, Zod.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    $10 says that mysterious stranger is your favorite villain Dispenser, Zod.
    Sagging just at the prospect, but I doubt it given they've already used him. 'The Stranger' calls to mind an ominously robed type of figure; really it could be anybody from Alex Luthor spinning out of Crisis to Dominus to Gog to Ultra-Humanite to Satanus or Vyndktvx, C.W. Saturn, Subjekt-17, Xa-Du, Sand Superman...were I to have my day I'd make it the creepy guy from The Multipath Adventures of Superman from back in the day, solely because I recall that as being a lot of fun.
    Buh-bye

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Sounds neat if it's legit.

I wonder if the name Jordan is a reference Whatever Happened's "Jordan Elliot", or if it's just another J name they picked at random. Whatever the case, seems like he's essentially the CW's OC, so it'll be interesting to see where they go with him.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I was hoping we'd see Clark and Lois working at the Planet together, but I guess now we have Lois to emphasize the reporting side while Clark is...stay-at-home dad and Superhero? Hopefully we still get to see plenty of Clark Kent doing his due diligence as a reporter and the Planet doesn't get marginalized.

So Jordan's not Chris...but I wonder if they might still do a reveal that he's Zod's son, if he's not Jon's biological brother. They're the same age but they also emphasize how different they are, so maybe they're not twins?

Jon sounds kind of like his dad in high school, at least Byrne Clark.

I can see some drama that Jon starts developing his powers before Jordan does. I wonder if they'll learn Clark is Superman by the end of The Pilot...although how have they kept it a secret all this time from their kids kind of boggles the mind.

I'm curious who they'll cast as Martha.

Are they going to recast General Lane through Crisis? Be interesting to see how they play with him knowing Clark is Superman.

It's cool that Lana will show up. Although I'm a little apprehensive that they might do a story where she's unhappy in her marriage and still pining for Clark. "Banker" seems pretty mundane compared to what we've seen of Lana in the comics recently.

I wonder if Sarah will be a love interest for either Jon or Jordan. It seems pretty coincidental that Lana's family has two kids (both girls) while the Kents have two boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I wonder if the name Jordan is a reference Whatever Happened's "Jordan Elliot", or if it's just another J name they picked at random.
    That's what came to mind for me, too.
    Buh-bye

Sagging just at the prospect, but I doubt it given they've already used him. 'The Stranger' calls to mind an ominously robed type of figure; really it could be anybody from Alex Luthor spinning out of Crisis to Dominus to Gog to Ultra-Humanite to Satanus or Vyndktvx, C.W. Saturn, Subjekt-17, Xa-Du, Sand Superman...were I to have my day I'd make it the creepy guy from The Multipath Adventures of Superman from back in the day, solely because I recall that as being a lot of fun.
    I bet it's Mr. Oz/Jor-El

I mean, they're basically doing their own spin on Rebirth/the current run, right?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Haha I knew you’d greet the prospect with joy. Given that I love Johns Zod and he’s involved here I wouldn’t be totally against the prospect, but I’m still hoping that Superman’s first TV series in years will stay away from the Big 3 of Lex, Zod, and Brainiac for the first season at least. Although now that I think of it I don’t think Brainiac has shown up either, so he could be the Stranger. Good list of alternates, man Vyn showing up in any outside media would guarantee I would watch the whole season at the very least, but it will never be him. Ultra-Humanite sounds like the best guess, who better than Superman’s first supervillain to threaten him with his first season? And he can fulfill the “open villain” since Lex is off pretending to be the “good guy” right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I bet it's Mr. Oz/Jor-El

I mean, they're basically doing their own spin on Rebirth/the current run, right?
    I hope it isn’t Jor-El but he’s a possibility. However I doubt it, that’s a really recent story and one that is hardly call “widely loved”.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-04-2020 at 02:57 PM.

I don't like it...but in a show about Superman being a dad, with some other dads in the cast, I can kind of see why they'd make the overarching villain Superman's biological dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I hope it isn’t Jor-El but he’s a possibility. However I doubt it, that’s a really recent story
    You'd probably be surprised how recent they're willing to go. Godspeed was created in 2016, but he then showed up in The Flash last April. For comparison, Mr. Oz actually showed up even earlier than Godspeed (back in the New 52 during Johns' run), so there's a fairly good chance that they're more then willing to use the idea/character.

Plus, one of the big selling points of this show is family, no?