Page 38 of 149 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast

Leviathan was name dropped in last season's final episode of Supergirl, so they pull from very recent stories for this stuff all the time. I hadn't thought about Jor El, but it actually makes quite a bit of sense. Having Sam Lane apparently be a main cast member as well makes that look likely.

I don't really like the way this Lana stuff could be set up. Down on her luck Lana pining for Clark is never a good use of her character. Chuck Austen torpedoed his career with that nonsense (among other things). So hopefully CW doesn't go there.

Clark getting fired and Lois still working at the Planet is interesting. But I definitely wanted to see them together as reporters.

The twins thing is just an odd choice though. Not sure where that's going.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You'd probably be surprised how recent they're willing to go. Godspeed was created in 2016, but he then showed up in The Flash last April. For comparison, Mr. Oz actually showed up even earlier than Godspeed (back in the New 52 during Johns' run), so there's a fairly good chance that they're more then willing to use the idea/character.

Plus, one of the big selling points of this show is family, no?
    People really liked Godspeed (personally I just saw him as a knockoff of the Wally-Zoom relationship but I digress). The Oz Effect was greeted with pretty tepid reactions in contrast. Like I said I won’t rule it out, it’s certainly possible, but I hope it’s not the direction they’re going in. I’ll still give the first couple of episodes a watch regardless.

Flash also didn't end up doing much with Godspeed. Although they made Bloodwork into the first Big Bad of their season, and he debuted only a year or two after Godpseed, so you never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Leviathan was name dropped in last season's final episode of Supergirl, so they pull from very recent stories for this stuff all the time. I hadn't thought about Jor El, but it actually makes quite a bit of sense. Having Sam Lane apparently be a main cast member as well makes that look likely.
    Granted, Leviathan is 100% nothing like they are in the comics, although that could be an effect that it was just too recent to have enough material to pull from.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    A reported description of the basic setup of the show from Primetimer (no idea whether that's a credible source or not, but it's close enough to time to film and this seems fleshed out enough with enough curveballs that I suspect it's legit):

As the series opens, LOIS LANE is still working at the Daily Planet, but CLARK KENT has just been fired following a massive layoff plan at the journal. His father JONATHAN KENT is no longer with them, while his mother MARTHA KENT is living alone on the farm where he grew up in Smallville. They have twins, JONATHAN and JORDAN KENT, who are thirteen and very different -- both physically and otherwise. Jonathan is the popular one, an all-star athlete who's about to enter the Varsity team, while Jordan is more introverted, anxiety prone, and very much into computers and video games. They don't know who their father really is... yet. And they may or may not have inherited his powers.

Lois's father GENERAL SAMUEL LANE is in the picture and knows about Clark. LANA LANG is also a big part of the show. She's a banker, still living in Smallville, with her husband KYLE CUSHING, a firefighter, and their daughters, SARAH, who's fourteen, and younger SOPHIE who's eight. They are in a dark place: Kyle is a drunk and Sarah tried to take her own life a year ago.

And yes, Superman has an enemy in this version of the story, who appears as THE STRANGER in the pilot. His true identity is revealed ar the end of the episode...
    Well there's some Superman concepts at play here. Working class family problems, suicide, things that harken back to his old days.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I bet it's Mr. Oz/Jor-El

I mean, they're basically doing their own spin on Rebirth/the current run, right?
    Hadn't even occurred to me, this totally checks out.

Also occurs to me: I seem to recall you suggesting a "This Is Us"-style approach to this show; you meant it in terms of hopping timelines, but the situation with Lana's family sounds comparable to the sort of High Family Drama I understand goes on in there compared to the usual CW fare. It'd be on their radar, between its success as a soap and Justin Hartley's presence, maybe they're thinking vaguely in terms of this being 'their' take on that when it comes to the family material? As long as Superman still fights Solaris in-between I can imagine being fine with that.
    Buh-bye

the stranger could literally be anyone. I am kinda surprised that Supergirl never did the Zor-El Cyborg Superman thing though. Mr. Oz was pretty much a rip-off of that. The Flash borrows from the newer stuff because they burned through Snart, Thawne and Grodd in one season. Could the stranger be the phantom stranger aka Judas? He was in Swamp Thing but that got canned.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Also occurs to me: I seem to recall you suggesting a "This Is Us"-style approach to this show; you meant it in terms of hopping timelines, but the situation with Lana's family sounds comparable to the sort of High Family Drama I understand goes on in there compared to the usual CW fare. It'd be on their radar, between its success as a soap and Justin Hartley's presence, maybe they're thinking vaguely in terms of this being 'their' take on that when it comes to the family material? As long as Superman still fights Solaris in-between I can imagine being fine with that.
    I remember what you're talking about, but I don't think it was me who suggested it. I think it was either Yoda or Patrick Gerard who suggested it.

But yeah, that stuff with Lana is very much not the usual CW stuff, from what I understand. Closest they've ever gotten was like 7th Heaven (fun fact: Riku's voice actor starts here), I think, and This Is Us is basically that, but upscaled in how frequent they deal with real ****. Honestly, I could see them finding a half way point between the after "on a very special episode of..." nature of 7th Heaven and the "whoa, **** just doesn't want to stop getting real" nature of This Is Us.

I mean, if they are going This Is Us in any way, then it's worth mentioning that "estranged bio dad of the lead shows up" is just flat out the plot of the first season.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    the stranger could literally be anyone. I am kinda surprised that Supergirl never did the Zor-El Cyborg Superman thing though. Mr. Oz was pretty much a rip-off of that. The Flash borrows from the newer stuff because they burned through Snart, Thawne and Grodd in one season. Could the stranger be the phantom stranger aka Judas? He was in Swamp Thing but that got canned.
    Phantom Stranger's not a villain though.

I wonder if Crisis retconned Henshaw so they could do a proper Cyborg-Superman with Hoechlin here. The Arrowverse loves pitting their heroes against evil versions of themselves.

Astonishing Member

Interesting, not keen on some of the details, like Clark being fired. The Stranger could very well be Mr Oz/Jor-El. If so, i hope they do better with it. He can be an antagonist just never an actual villain. I would not want then to completely upend the legacy that is Superman. While Jordan is a random name, I feel the short form of the name is close to Jor, it could be Clark's way of honoring both his fathers by name both his sons after them, which would be interesting if the Stranger/Mr Oz thing turns out to be true.

Having read the character sheets, i feel about more apprehensive about this show; it sounds like they’re turning up the teen angst dial up to eleven with lana’s daughter- and I don’t know why we need two super sons, unless one will be evil, or something. I guess we won’t spend much time in metropolis, but no perry white? Great Ceaser’s ghost!��

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Having read the character sheets, i feel about more apprehensive about this show; it sounds like they’re turning up the teen angst dial up to eleven with lana’s daughter- and I don’t know why we need two super sons, unless one will be evil, or something. I guess we won’t spend much time in metropolis, but no perry white? Great Ceaser’s ghost!��
    Not exactly evil. But, maybe the jock. Jon is clearly going to be that. They might have a rivalry. Jon might be "the bad boy". I hope jordan's middle name is elliot.I hope Jojo brothers can have bizarre adventures. Not just teen drama nonsense.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-05-2020 at 09:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Well, it IS CW. Every show is required to have teen angst of some kind.
    Assassinate Putin!

You know an implication I find hilarious about this post-crisis thing is that all the big changes seem to come down to 2 things. The first is just the result of the earths merging so all these different stuff like National City, Gorrilla City, Freeland and all the earth 1 stuff all exist in the same universe. And the second are the intentional changes that the Spectre, and I think probably the paragons and the also maybe the Monitor decided to make at the dawn of time. Stuff like bringing back Oliver's dead loved ones, Lex wanted power, respect and freedom so he got it, Batwoman got a non-evil version of her sister, etc. These don't seem to be random changes like Flashpoint.
    Which means that at least one of those people (I'm guessing the Monitor had the most motive, lol), was so fed up by Clark's annoying baby, that he or she actually went out of their way to wish his birth back 13 years so that they wouldn't have to deal with him crying his way through another cosmic monologue.
    I mean yeah the Monitor wasn't at the dawn of time, but apparently he may behind some of the Luthor family changes, it's not hard to imagine he was behind what happened to the Kents.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

‘Superman & Lois’ Casts Couple’s Sons As Jordan Elsass & Alexander Garfin Join the CW Series: https://deadline.com/2020/02/superma...es-1202851698/

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Given the other kids' name is indeed Jordan, that would seem to confirm the Primetimer description. Anyone seen either of these kids in anything? I guess I would've heard Garfin in the Peanuts movie, but I don't exactly recall much of that.
    Buh-bye