The issue for me in that Supergirl clip isn't the poor visual effects, but the idea that the episode director/producers/show runner signed off on a part of the script that they clearly didn't have the budget for. The fact of the matter is, Supergirl has pulled off pretty great effects in the past, whether it was the Pilot episode plane scene (CBS, at the time), the Superman fight, and even the Red Daughter fight in the woods...they all have that "tv look" to them, but they have mostly looked really good. So we know their vfx artists can do really good work. I have to assume most of CW's budgeting for visuals is going to Crisis this year, hence why visuals have been poor on all the shows (this clip from Supergirl, the venom-like black goo on Flash, and the extremely poor explosions/fire on Batwoman). I figure the budget going to Crisis is why the crossover is being split over 2 quarters in the first place...part of the director's job is to work within a budget, and when your budget is this limited then you need to make hard decisions. We've seen very little of Barry in the suit this season because when he's in the suit doing Flash things, then things cost more. We see Batwoman doing a lot of walking, and not gliding off of buildings, because it's cheaper. The guys who made that Supergirl episode should have known better: work within your budget, and if you can't afford to do something then you don't do it that way.

As for the Superman show, I'm both excited for it (it's a SUPERMAN SHOW!! C'mon!!) and also a bit nervous, but I'll be there to support it. Like many of you, the direction they took Superman after losing that fight to Kara really soured me on their interpretation of him, so much so that it clouded my opinion on him completely. But the other day, I went back & watched the first 2 eps of Supergirl's second season, which I hadn't seen since "the fight"...and you know what? They actually started out on a good note. Superman is not shown to be inferior to her, and everyone is in awe of him. So I think there's hope, but with 2 major caveats for me:

1: I hate, hate, hate his costume. And it's not even for the cape clips (which are terrible, don't get me wrong)...I hate it because it doesn't fit. It's too baggy in areas, and when he's flying with one or both arms forward then the neckline bunches up soooo much and it just doesn't fit. The costume was made on the cheap for him, so I'm hoping he gets a new costume with the budget & care of Routh's suit (not saying it needs to look like Routh's Crisis suit, just that I'd like it to have that same quality).

2: Please, for the love of Zod, get rid of the Donnerisms. Bumbling Clark Kent, Lois can't spell, these are relics of an era that people need to move on from. Reeve worked his goofball charm to success in 2 films that were shot back to back (mostly). It had worn thin even by the time Superman III came out, so please - get rid of it. There is so damn much more to this character than Richard Donner & Christopher Reeve. It's been 40 years, move on. Until audiences do, the character will be stuck in an endless cycle of "he's boring/too powerful", and will never regain the popularity he once had.