Page 119 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 2229
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hm. Conflicted on this. If they’ve actually got more story to tell, great! But I hope they avoid filler episodes.
    Depends what the filler is. It could end up being interesting if they're flashbacks to juxtapose Lois and Clark now versus when they had small children or even learned Lois was pregnant. While it wouldn't mess with the arc narrative, it could flesh out the characters and their journey.

I'm looking for a silver lining because this means that it's filler or they had an unsatisfying ending that they only barely managed to pull together because they got given two more episodes. Time will tell. Filler or no, I just want quality.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

there is gonna be flashbacks with kents.i believe.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    But if Superman wasn't turning evil or dying, what stories could we possibly tell with him?

I'm right there with you in hopes that this will turn the tide and hopefully steer the character towards something more bright and fun, but I suspect this show isn't going to do much in terms of having a big cultural impact.

I've showed the trailer to a few of my students and it hasn't really generated any of the excitement that Arrow, The Flash, or Supergirl did.

Even my wife took one look at the poster and remarked that the actor playing Superman looked like a date rapist
    Oh wow, I'm not a Hoechlin Superman fan at all, but your wife's reaction seems a bit extreme. But then I saw this image yesterday and she has a point.. he looks like drunk/evil Superman from Superman 3.. I'm sorry, but I don't find him attractive, or impressive or wholesome enough for Superman. He looks like a cosplayer to me.

The more I see Hoechlin in the role, the less I like him. I don't think this look does him favors. I guess they are trying to age him up. I still don't have hopes for this show, it's the CW after all. The new Walker Texas Ranger show, it's already all about teen angst and very little like the original show was about. But I love Superman, so I'll give the show a chance. The trailer wasn't bad, although the kids are too old to not know Clark is Superman, come on, are they dumb? lol
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-04-2021 at 09:42 AM.

BANNED

These comments about Tyler are more than a little unfair, nasty and extreme. Lord.

First off, anyone who is familiar with Tyler at all and has followed his very long career knows that he has a reputation for being one of the kindest men out there. He is notoriously friendly, kind and polite to the point that the women who worked with him on Teen Wolf regularly shared at Cons that he was one of those guys they just felt safe around because he wouldn’t be a creep.

He’s been beyond lovely to Elizabeth Tulloch and she’s done nothing but praise how wonderful he is to her since the moment they met. Elizabeth’s husband (actor David Giuntoli who himself auditioned and had a callback for MOS) has also regularly commented all over social media about how lovely Tyler is to his wife. And that should count for something given this show would have zero chance of working if Tyler and Elizabeth didn’t like each other but, by all accounts, they adore each other. She posted last week that he baked her banana bread for her birthday, gave her thoughtful gifts and he came to set this year with treats for her baby daughter.

Anyone who knows Tyler in real life interviews/cons etc knows exactly why he was cast as Clark Kent. He was fancast in the role for YEARS because he would show up to cons wearing his prescription glasses and was just the friendliest guy with a huge, kind smile. His cast mates would openly joke that he would apologize if he cursed. He once famously mistook an actress he didn’t know for a friend and kissed her on the cheek and then, upon realizing it, apologized so profusely because he felt he had assaulted her. He’s not a saint —he’s human. All these guys are human. But to act as if it’s baffling why he was cast as Clark Kent as if he just doesn’t fit the role is either disingenuous or uninformed about who he is. He’s legit PERFECT for this role if a script is written to showcase his very natural gifts. I can scarce think of anyone who more naturally could slide into this role tbh. It’s not at all hard to understand why Berlanti and Co approached him specifically for this part years ago knowing this about him.

And while not everyone is going to find the same thing attractive, the idea that he’s not attractive or not good looking is also, I’m sorry, insane. Tyler has a HUGE fandom comprised of both women and gay men who find him extremely extremely hot. Again, maybe you personally don’t but they idea that he’s somehow not hot enough to be Clark is crazy because the man has a huge following distinctly because he’s nice and hot. His reputation is as a super nice, hot nerd who wears glasses. Gosh I can’t imagine why he was cast as Superman—what a mystery! LOL Outside of really only Brandon Routh (who is also a stellar and kind guy outside of the suit), Tyler is easily the most naturally kind and gentle person to take on this role in modern history.

Tyler doesn’t need my defense because he’s obviously successful and great and it doesn’t matter what anyone here says but comparing him to a date rapist and going on and on about how supposedly not good looking he is is a bit much, guys. Come on. Watch the show, don’t watch the show. That’s obviously personal preference but give the personal put downs a rest.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 02-04-2021 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    These comments about Tyler are more than a little unfair, nasty and extreme. Lord.

First off, anyone who is familiar with Tyler at all and has followed his very long career knows that he has a reputation for being one of the kindest men out there. He is notoriously friendly, kind and polite to the point that the women who worked with him on Teen Wolf regularly shared at Cons that he was one of those guys they just felt safe around because he wouldn’t be a creep.

He’s been beyond lovely to Elizabeth Tulloch and she’s done nothing but praise how wonderful he is to her since the moment they met. Elizabeth’s husband (actor David Giuntoli who himself auditioned and had a callback for MOS) has also regularly commented all over social media about how lovely Tyler is to his wife. And that should count for something given this show would have zero chance of working if Tyler and Elizabeth didn’t like each other but, by all accounts, they adore each other. She posted last week that he baked her banana bread for her birthday, gave her thoughtful gifts and he came to set this year with treats for her baby daughter.

Anyone who knows Tyler in real life interviews/cons etc knows exactly why he was cast as Clark Kent. He was fancast in the role for YEARS because he would show up to cons wearing his prescription glasses and was just the friendliest guy with a huge, kind smile. His cast mates would openly joke that he would apologize if he cursed. He once famously mistook an actress he didn’t know for a friend and kissed her on the cheek and then, upon realizing it, apologized so profusely because he felt he had assaulted her. He’s not a saint —he’s human. All these guys are human. But to act as if it’s baffling why he was cast as Clark Kent as if he just doesn’t fit the role is either disingenuous or uninformed about who he is. He’s legit PERFECT for this role if a script is written to showcase his very natural gifts. I can scarce think of anyone who more naturally could slide into this role tbh. It’s not at all hard to understand why Berlanti and Co approached him specifically for this part years ago knowing this about him.

And while not everyone is going to find the same thing attractive, the idea that he’s not attractive or not good looking is also, I’m sorry, insane. Tyler has a HUGE fandom comprised of both women and gay men who find him extremely extremely hot. Again, maybe you personally don’t but they idea that he’s somehow not hot enough to be Clark is crazy because the man has a huge following distinctly because he’s nice and hot. His reputation is as a super nice, hot nerd who wears glasses. Gosh I can’t imagine why he was cast as Superman—what a mystery! LOL

Tyler doesn’t need my defense because he’s obviously successful and great and it doesn’t matter what anyone here says but comparing him to a date rapist and going on and on about how supposedly not good looking he is is a bit much, guys. Come on. Watch the show, don’t watch the show. That’s obviously personal preference but give the personal put downs a rest.
    This. All of this. Tyler is perfect for the role: both inside and out.

BANNED

Also, just for the record, it’s not just that Elizabeth Tulloch resembles Margot Kidder that she was cast. It’s that she shows an understanding for who Lois is that I would be willing to bet a lot of other actresses who go for the long hanging fruit of generic “strong female character” probably don’t.

She got the role because, apparently, they all auditioned with the Richard Donner cut scene with the gun and the reveal from Superman 2 and she was the only one who recognized that the scene had humor. Apparently the other actresses didn’t understand the scene and tried to play it too serious or angry at Clark. But Elizabeth had actually done her homework and understood Lois wasn’t angry at him with the gun—she was upping the stakes and just wanted to level the playing field.

She also eulogized Margot kidder on her Instagram after her death and wrote a long post about how much she admired her work as Lois over a year before she was cast. She’s not some fake fan who just jumped on the bandwagon. Her interest in Lois is documented and real.

Again, it’s a no brainer when you know this stuff why these two specific actors were cast. This was not random casting.

Again, watch the show, don’t watch it. Whatever. I’ve got my own criticisms for the show itself and the direction they seem to be heading. But there was clearly careful thought that went into the leads. Deliberate choices to try and find two people who were really right. They will be subject to whatever material they are given of course but a little credit to how deliberate the casting was is praise worthy.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 02-04-2021 at 11:54 AM.

Also, just for the record, it’s not just that Elizabeth Tulloch resembles Margot Kidder that she was cast. It’s that she shows an understanding for who Lois is that I would be willing to bet a lot of other actresses who go for the long hanging fruit of generic “strong female character” probably don’t.

She got the role because, apparently, they all auditioned with the Richard Donner cut scene with the gun and the reveal from Superman 2 and she was the only one who recognized that the scene had humor. Apparently the other actresses didn’t understand the scene and tried to play it too serious or angry at Clark. But Elizabeth had actually done her homework and understood Lois wasn’t angry at him with the gun—she was upping the stakes and just wanted to level the playing field.

She also eulogized Margot kidder on her Instagram after her death and wrote a long post about how much she admired her work as Lois over a year before she was cast. She’s not some fake fan who just jumped on the bandwagon. Her interest in Lois is documented and real.

Again, it’s a no brainer when you know this stuff why these two specific actors were cast. This was not random casting.

Again, watch the show, don’t watch it. Whatever. I’ve got my own criticisms for the show itself and the direction they seem to be heading. But there was clearly careful thought that went into the leads. Deliberate choices to try and find two people who were really right. They will be subject to whatever material they are given of course but a little credit to how deliberate the casting was is praise worthy.
    I'm with you. While I have some issues with the show in terms of its pilot script, aspects of its premise, and some of the behind the scenes aspects like the showrunner and how sensitive issues have been handled in the writers' room, the casting is one hundred percent perfect and one of the best things about it. It's one of the reasons I am still very much rooting for the show.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I'm with you. While I have some issues with the show in terms of its pilot script, aspects of its premise, and some of the behind the scenes aspects like the showrunner and how sensitive issues have been handled in the writers' room, the casting is one hundred percent perfect and one of the best things about it. It's one of the reasons I am still very much rooting for the show.
    Right? I would much rather talk about some of the concerning things Todd Helbing said at Fan dome and about some of the concerns that Nadria Tucker raised about the #metoo jokes in the writer’s room, her advocacy for Black characters who weren’t villains and her concern that the showrunner wasn’t properly prioritizing Lois and the other women’s stories because those are ACTUAL problems that this show will have to overcome and address. And I truly hope they do.

But Tyler somehow not being good looking enough to be Clark Kent is not an actual problem. It’s laughable. He’s a doll and I have zero concerns about an audience taking to him provided he’s allowed to display the charm and gifts he possesses naturally.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 02-04-2021 at 12:07 PM. Reason: U

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

While the scripts and the costume haven't done Tyler favors, I have personally thought he was well cast for this incarnation of Superman. I'm optimistic about the series and I do like the idea it's a spiritual sequel to both Lois and Clark and Smallville and covers a new part and phase of Superman's life. His origins and the triangle for two has been examined in pretty much every other live action Superman series and movie and frankly I give the producers props for exploring a new facet and stage of these characters lives.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I saw this and rather than excitement, I'm apprehensive like everyone else. I don't want random, filler episodes.
    I do. I want tons of filler. ALL THE FILLER!!! Filler episodes tend to be the best ones of the season.

AND honestly, they aren't the filler. The filler are all the REST of the episodes between the premier and the finale. How many times have we have seen Flash or Green Arrow use episodes 10-13 have to track down the one super special trap/weapon/element that will stop the bad guy... only for the mega bad guy only to have it not work and the bad guy escapes and they're right back to where they were... It makes those episodes literally filler and a waste of time. They could easily be completely cut out and the plot wouldn't have changed at all. I've very much against the 'one meta story per season with a ton of chapters. Terrible habit I wish would die in fire. I MUCH prefered the older ones that had a ton of individual issue that the hero had to deal with every week.

Definitely feels more like a comic when someone like Superman or Flash has more than one real threat a year... The stories are even written a lot better when you don't have to waste the first half dealing with plot hooks the last episode left you and the last 20 minutes setting up plot hooks for the next episode with maybe 10-15 minutes tops dealing with something interesting THIS episode...

Supernatural was big on this. The filler episodes were the best. C'mon... Scoobynatural was total filler and was the best ep of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    While the scripts and the costume haven't done Tyler favors, I have personally thought he was well cast for this incarnation of Superman. I'm optimistic about the series and I do like the idea it's a spiritual sequel to both Lois and Clark and Smallville and covers a new part and phase of Superman's life. His origins and the triangle for two has been examined in pretty much every other live action Superman series and movie and frankly I give the producers props for exploring a new facet and stage of these characters lives.

Honestly, I haven't really been disappointed in Superman casting in a LONG time... Cavill was a great choice... Routh was a Great choice... Caine was pretty good too.. I like Tyler in the role too.

It's just the scripts and the writing and costumes that kills their movies. The actors do a great job with what they're given... but I would have LOVED to see EITHER Routh or Cavill with a great Superman script.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

And while not everyone is going to find the same thing attractive, the idea that he’s not attractive or not good looking is also, I’m sorry, insane. Tyler has a HUGE fandom comprised of both women and gay men who find him extremely extremely hot. Again, maybe you personally don’t but they idea that he’s somehow not hot enough to be Clark is crazy because the man has a huge following distinctly because he’s nice and hot. His reputation is as a super nice, hot nerd who wears glasses. Gosh I can’t imagine why he was cast as Superman—what a mystery! LOL Outside of really only Brandon Routh (who is also a stellar and kind guy outside of the suit), Tyler is easily the most naturally kind and gentle person to take on this role in modern history.

I can totally appreciate that, but you can't argue with people's gut reactions to how people, particularly actors, look. That isn't really something that's under a person's control.

That doesn't mean that we should allow our first impressions of someone prejudice towards someone as an actual human being, however. No one is saying Tyler is anything but a complete mensch. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about him.

That said, the fact that people like my wife would have such an adverse first reaction to him may be a problem because, like I said, actors are judged based upon their appearance. It's part of the job.

That said, I have no idea how of many people will have this same reaction. I certainly didn't. I have really enjoyed Tyler in the role thus far. My point in telling the story of my wife's reaction wasn't to condemn Tyler as a person or cast doubt on his undeniable handsomeness, but rather to show how difficult it is to cast Superman.

It’s wild to me how people have reacted to Hoechlin. You either love him or you hate him, and in that regard he’s similar to Cavill. However it’s no doubt a result of the wars between the Snyder fandom and the mainstream people that have helped inflame the hot takes because I don’t remember anyone freaking over Hoechlin being “not Superman enough” when he was first cast. People liked him! He was well-recieved! And now while Cavill seems set to either be reduced to a cameo, Hoechlin is getting his own show that centers him as Superman. Definitely causes some butthurt on the Snyder side that toxifies things.

Don’t know what those of you who don’t see him as being properly Superman enough aren’t seeing honestly. Excited for the show to come out so we can actually discuss it instead of arguing over whether or not an actor is properly “Superman” enough.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I just kind of wish he'd shave. He always has this 5:00 shadow for some reason.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Seems to be a conscious decision on the show's part, since in all his other appearances he was clean shaven. Maybe this is their way of showing he's an aged Superman with some years behind him, which wouldn't be shown otherwise since dude is in his early 30s but could pass for mid or early 20s.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    As do a lot of people because it’s tied to ethnicity and genetics.

It’s super weird to me to hold that against him. He ::does:: shave. It just grows back that fast. My own brother and father go through this.