Page 126 of 149 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 2229

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    The DCEU cared about Clark. He wasn't a performance, like Reeve's, but it showed him at home with his family and with Lois. We saw him in glasses get his job and throw gimself into it with a passion, standing up to Perry about the power of the press. For films with limited screen time compared to TV shows, it covered a lot and certainly more than any other cinematic Superman.
    I agree, and of course the TV shows need more Clark scenes because lower budget..

* Once again, no, no love triangle with Lana. Per Chriqui: "Yes, they dated in high school, but besides that they’ve known each other since kindergarten. Lana certainly treats Clark as one of her closest friends, one of the people who knows her the best. There’s a lot of history there, but in this incarnation of the world, it’s not just based on their romance. It’s a very rich, long history.”

Personally, and knowing the CW, this worries me. Like someone already said, Clark shouldn't share very personal or intimate stuff with Lana anymore because both are married to someone else. Not saying they can't be friends, but not "close" friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It must be my curated exposure but I usually see her videos shared here where she tries to pass some insider connection that ends up being wildly false. Honestly, I've learned to just not follow Youtubers for my news.

I have the soul of a boomer when it comes to my news preferences because I still prefer reading to watching or listening.

I've seen that too. She makes a lot of stuff up, and she also gets very personal about actors she doesn't like for some reason. She is not this objective and professional youtuber at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Personally, and knowing the CW, this worries me. Like someone already said, Clark shouldn't share very personal or intimate stuff with Lana anymore because both are married to someone else. Not saying they can't be friends, but not "close" friends.

I've seen that too. She makes a lot of stuff up, and she also gets very personal about actors she doesn't like for some reason. She is not this objective youtuber at all.
    It’s not that you can’t have a close friendship with another woman as a married man—-of course you can. It’s the context of it here that’s a problem.

The context I’m reading from the reviews and from my own view on the pilot is that Lana still has feelings for Clark. Her feelings for him are not 100% platonic and he’s going to be compared to the crappy guy she wound up marrying. He’s the “one that got away.” On a show with Lois’s name in the title. No way. Not cool.

A married man should not under circumstances be getting close to someone who still has wistful feelings for him. That’s irresponsible and disrespectful to Lois and Lois, for her part, is under no obligation to be chill about that.

Grace Randolph is a liar and has a history of rather crappy behavior. She is probably telling the truth about liking Superman and Lois but she’s still not a credible source.

BANNED

The DCEU cared about Clark. He wasn't a performance, like Reeve's, but it showed him at home with his family and with Lois. We saw him in glasses get his job and throw gimself into it with a passion, standing up to Perry about the power of the press. For films with limited screen time compared to TV shows, it covered a lot and certainly more than any other cinematic Superman.
    I agree and I don’t know why anyone even brought up the DCEU. Let’s just stick to discussing the merits and/or concerns with this show. Taking shots at the DCEU just distracts from the topic and isn’t appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I agree and I don’t know why anyone even brought up the DCEU. Let’s just stick to discussing the merits and/or concerns with this show. Taking shots at the DCEU just distracts from the topic and isn’t appropriate.
    Sounds good to me. Getting new Superman stuff is always a mixed blessing, when it inspires people to compare what's new to what came before and support what is liked by putting something else down. Focusing on just this new take, there's lots to like but also significant flaws. Lois not getting co-lead treatment and the Lana angle are chief among them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It never mattered though. None of Clark’s journalism investigations mattered, Clark himself didn’t matter, only Superman and Superman’s power mattered. Lois was only important because of her connections to two men, Clark her husband whom she kept from going insane, and their kid that she will one day bare, with her planned death being a classic case of fridging. As a character in and of herself she didn’t matter either, her whole investigation was meaningless given Lex basically outed himself as responsible for everything by unleashing a LOTR troll onto the public.

This show looks like it’s going to be the first serious showcase of Clark and Lois as journalists since, damn, Smallville? Like Lois is going to actually get her own plots and stuff to do that isn’t just giving pep talks to Clark and being a mom (not that being a mom is somehow lesser, but I’ve been wanting some more serious journalistic investigation stuff for Lois for a while). It’s a massive step up for the two imo.
    I'll just say agree to disagree and leave it at that.

The Clark and Lana thing is complicated because they were close way before he was married to Lois, so it's not something I think they can really ignore emotionally, but past that it probably depends on the writing and execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Clark and Lana thing is complicated because they were close way before he was married to Lois, so it's not something I think they can really ignore emotionally, but past that it probably depends on the writing and execution.
    The two were friends even before they dated, and she’s the obvious choice to talk about how Clark has changed since Smallville, as well as how Smallville itself has changed. Poor Pete Ross, nobody cares about him, least Jimmy gets some respect (usually).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Were they close, though? Most other incarnations of Lana Lang were among the first to know that Clark was an alien with superpowers. This Lana Lang is totally in the dark. So whatever closeness they have isn't comparable to the intimacy and trust Clark has with his wife, Lois.

BANNED

Except it’s not complicated unless you don’t understand how marriage works. Not if there is even a hint of “wistful” feelings between them.

Happily married 40 year olds do not just hang out alone with people they dated in high school. Not unless some very specific circumstances are in place.

I’m obviously not saying that married men can’t have childhood friends that are women. Of course they do and can. But what typically happens is that if both parties are married, the person’s partner also becomes part of the equation. So, like, if Lois, Clark Lana and her husband are all best friends and Lois/Lana are besties and there is no wistful feelings or whatever....yeah....that happens and it’s fine. That’s not inappropriate. We make choices when we get married and one of those choices, out of respect for our partners, is that you don’t put yourself in situations that you know might be inappropriate. He’s SUPERMAN. He is not some guy in a bar. And he shouldn’t be putting himself or his wife in a situation where he knows someone may or may not still have feelings for him. You don’t do that to your spouse.

Clark and Lana hanging out alone and sharing wistful looks or whatever that make their spouses visibly affected is completely inappropriate. The narrative has already set her up with a crappy husband in an unhappy situation. You do not need a PhD to see the motivation here from this showrunner who had a history of this kind of BS on The Flash with how poorly he treated Iris west.

Guys, I’m sorry but it really feels like you all go out of your way sometimes to defend behavior that I guarantee you wouldn’t be ok with if it was your own partner and yet you are ok with it happening to Lois. Uncool.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 02-09-2021 at 12:01 PM.

BANNED

Were they close, though? Most other incarnations of Lana Lang were among the first to know that Clark was an alien with superpowers. This Lana Lang is totally in the dark. So whatever closeness they have isn't comparable to the intimacy and trust Clark has with his wife, Lois.
    Even if she did know he was Superman it’s not comparable.

Lois and Clark have been married here for over a decade and raised 2 children together. Again, unless your marriage is in trouble and/or, you’ve been emotionally unfaithful, no one at that stage of your life should know you better than your partner. Not even a childhood friend. Again we aren’t saying that married people do not have close childhood friends bc of course they do. But this has problematic written all over it.

If the plot depends that much on Clark being from Smallville, about Smallville and all about how Clark has changed from SV then we come back to the problem that this was a poor and disrespectful way to structure the emotional core of a narrative with married protagonists with Lois’s name in the title. And we literally JUST spent years beating the Clark/Lana and Smallville specific stories to death with Smallville. And yet here we are back here again? On a show where Clark is a married father? Gross.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 02-09-2021 at 11:57 AM.

The more I see, this show feels like a mix of Smallville and the 90s Lois and Clark shows.

I agree with everything Nellie said. That's not how it works in real life. There is nothing complicated about it, Clark needs to show the respect to his wife. And Lana too should know there is a line she shouldn't cross with a married man she used to date. Clark is not supposed to hang out with Lana unless Lois is present. You wouldn't like that to happen to you, I assure you, it's weird. If the show goes there, that's a big problem we don't need.

BANNED

The more I see, this show feels like a mix of Smallville and the 90s Lois and Clark shows.

I agree with everything Nellie said. That's not how it works in real life. There is nothing complicated about it, Clark needs to show the respect to his wife. And Lana too should know there is a line she shouldn't cross with a married man she used to date. Clark is not supposed to hang out with Lana unless Lois is present. You wouldn't like that to happen to you, I assure you, it's weird. If the show goes there, that's a big problem we don't need.
    I appreciate you agreeing with me but just to be clear I don’t think it’s that they can’t hang out. That’s silly.

They can obviously hang out. But if they are sharing something in private that they wouldn’t be comfortable sharing with either of their spouses than a line has most definitely been crossed. And that’s absolutely what I foresee happening and yet people brushing it off bc no one seems to respect that there is more than one way to be unfaithful and it doesn’t have to involve physical sex.

I appreciate you agreeing with me but just to be clear I don’t think it’s that they can’t hang out. That’s silly.

They can obviously hang out. But if they are sharing something in private that they wouldn’t be comfortable sharing with either of their spouses than a line has most definitely been crossed. And that’s absolutely what I foresee happening and yet people brushing it off bc no one seems to respect that there is more than one way to be unfaithful and it doesn’t have to involve physical sex.
    yeah, you have a point. I just find it very inappropriate to hang out with an ex when I'm married. Of course, it depends what you mean by hanging out. By that I mean like going out like on a date. I don't think it's right or serves a purpose. If I hang out with an ex ( I never do, but let's suppose), my husband has to come too.

I wasn't saying it was comparable to Clark's relationship with Lois. It's just a different level of closeness and relationship.
    Except it’s not complicated unless you don’t understand how marriage works. Not if there is even a hint of “wistful” feelings between them.

Happily married 40 year olds do not just hang out alone with people they dated in high school. Not unless some very specific circumstances are in place.

I’m obviously not saying that married men can’t have childhood friends that are women. Of course they do and can. But what typically happens is that if both parties are married, the person’s partner also becomes part of the equation. So, like, if Lois, Clark Lana and her husband are all best friends and Lois/Lana are besties and there is no wistful feelings or whatever....yeah....that happens and it’s fine. That’s not inappropriate. We make choices when we get married and one of those choices, out of respect for our partners, is that you don’t put yourself in situations that you know might be inappropriate. He’s SUPERMAN. He is not some guy in a bar. And he shouldn’t be putting himself or his wife in a situation where he knows someone may or may not still have feelings for him. You don’t do that to your spouse.

Clark and Lana hanging out alone and sharing wistful looks or whatever that make their spouses visibly affected is completely inappropriate. The narrative has already set her up with a crappy husband in an unhappy situation. You do not need a PhD to see the motivation here from this showrunner who had a history of this kind of BS on The Flash with how poorly he treated Iris west.

Guys, I’m sorry but it really feels like you all go out of your way sometimes to defend behavior that I guarantee you wouldn’t be ok with if it was your own partner and yet you are ok with it happening to Lois. Uncool.
    I mean, I'm not coming at it from personal experience relationship-wise but just what feels real to me emotionally depending on the characters' relationship and history with each other.

Anything beyond that I will have to watch for myself and see.
    I don't think I would, personally? I wouldn't assume to be my spouses' keeper when it comes to interacting with someone they're close with but I guess that would depend on the level of closeness and what I knew about them. But that's just me and I'm not necessarily assuming anything from the characters are involved.