Page 143 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 2229
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I think everyone has a right to be "wrong" if you will. Remember, Free Speech is there to protect offense speech, not popular speech. I'd gladly die for the concept of free speech any day (one of the few concepts I would die to protect). I might hate what you say but I want you to be free to say it, the same goes for freedom of belief.

Do I disagree with anything you wrote, not really. That said you shouldn't make assumptions about people's motives or how they feel about any given subject based upon generalizations.

But I digress this is not the place for such.
    Free speech protects us ::specifically:: from government prosecution and has literally nothing to do with being free from repercussions on a message board. No one is being prosecuted for anything they say here so it’s not relevant and doesn’t need protecting.

And I’m not making any “generalizations” about anything other than that it’s not a good thing to judge women based on who they sleep with which, by the way, should not be a controversial statement in 2021 but apparently it is.

You are correct that this is not the place for this which is why I tried several pages ago to squash it and I’m genuinely not even sure why who Lois slept with on a TV show that came out 15 years ago even was brought up yet here we are. I’m done.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Misogyny is not a value. Racism, white supremacy, homophobia are not “values.”

I’m not putting my values on anything because “values” that slut shame are a misogynist dog whistle. This is not some convo where we disagree over the size of a belt buckle. Shaming women for who they sleep with is dehumanizing garbage that is not defensible.

If your values are discriminatory than it goes beyond your personal preference or mine.

I see bad writing and you come up with all this... You don't know me. And you have no right to tell me how to feel. If I said something so wrong, let the mods tell me, but it seems others agree Lois was often used like a sex object to attract more male viewers, as simple as that.

And if you don't like my posts, you can ignore me too.

Arrow

Free speech protects us ::specifically:: from government prosecution and has literally nothing to do with being free from repercussions on a message board. No one is being prosecuted for anything they say here so it’s not relevant and doesn’t need protecting.

And I’m not making any “generalizations” about anything other than that it’s not a good thing to judge women based on who they sleep with which, by the way, should not be a controversial statement in 2021 but apparently it is.

You are correct that this is not the place for this which is why I tried several pages ago to squash it and I’m genuinely not even sure why who Lois slept with on a TV show that came out 15 years ago even was brought up yet here we are. I’m done.
    Internet platforms try to follow the governmental lead when it comes to free speech, in most cases anyhow. I prefer a free and open society. The recent trend towards government-sponsored or at least encouraged censorship I find very troubling. If we become "safe" but lose what makes our society special that would be a tragedy.

What I'm saying is maybe the user doesn't hate women but rather the way the character was presented, who knows. That's what I meant by generalizations. I don't ever remember Lois Lane being presented as a "slut" in any media, Cat Grant yes which was disgusting.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-16-2021 at 01:33 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yeah true, but again, he was adopted. Everyone in the town knew that, so he didn't have to look like his son.
    I’m actually not sure how public the adoption was tbh. Clark knew he was adopted and he shared it with friends but it wasn’t something publicly discussed a ton. As I recall, when he tried out for football, he had to correct the coach who assumed he had inherited Jonathan’s abilities.

But either way, I hear you. I guess time will tell.

I'll make this brief. I agree with Nelliebly wholeheartedly regarding both Durance's Lois and free speech. I also want to echo the call to not derail this thread with off-topic discussion of other movies and television shows.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I'll make this brief. I agree with Nelliebly wholeheartedly regarding both Durance's Lois and free speech. I also want to echo the call to not derail this thread with off-topic discussion of other movies and television shows.
    Hear, hear, let's get back on track.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

I find myself starting to really look forward to this; I love a good Superman show, and this seems to have an interesting take, with an actor I like in the role. As for Lois, she seems fine to me as well. I have been disappointed all to often, but I'm hoping this is as good as Stargirl.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    New in depth interview with Tyler, Elizabeth and showrunner, Todd Helbing.

Some very interesting stuff. You need to read the whole thing. It sounds like they get what needs to be done, but time will tell..

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/superma...ew-dc-tv-show/
    Very Bendis-like take on Superman’s responsibility, I like it. That said-
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There are a lot of Easter Eggs but none I'd say overwhelm the plot, and all the cameos have been fairly plot relevant (and do they even count as cameos when they're main characters?).

Well, sorry Metropolis.

(I kid, it makes sense for Superman, but still).
    -it is a shame there still isn’t really more focus on fleshing out Metropolis in any current Superman media right now. It’s a place that seriously needs fleshing out, helping to establish the locales in general audiences minds beyond Lexcorp Tower and the Daily Planet. I guess there’s the Suicide Squad game coming but everything about that looks and sounds awful so I’m not optimistic. All that said they’re clearly leaving open the option of Clark “commuting” to Metropolis as Superman even as the family lives in Smallville and I wouldn’t mind having that happen. Maybe with their larger budget they can shoot in a city other than Vancouver
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Very Bendis-like take on Superman’s responsibility, I like it. That said-

-it is a shame there still isn’t really more focus on fleshing out Metropolis in any current Superman media right now. It’s a place that seriously needs fleshing out, helping to establish the locales in general audiences minds beyond Lexcorp Tower and the Daily Planet. I guess there’s the Suicide Squad game coming but everything about that looks and sounds awful so I’m not optimistic. All that said they’re clearly leaving open the option of Clark “commuting” to Metropolis as Superman even as the family lives in Smallville and I wouldn’t mind having that happen. Maybe with their larger budget they can shoot in a city other than Vancouver
    I like the idea that DC's cities and towns are characters in their own right, with defined neighborhoods that are very different from each other. And telling stories with that in mind.

Flash also stole STAR Labs.

BANNED

I’m fine with that tbh. The last thing we need is Clark hanging out in a lab.

They never really swiped that in the comics though, or at least I don’t remember them doing that, and with Wally seemingly taking back the mantle from Barry I don’t know if they ever will. I’m fine with sharing STAR Labs though, the organization having multiple branches in different cities doesn’t bother me. Would be cool to see them used more in the Superman titles although Bendis did set up a plotline with them that kinda petered out. We’ll see if PKJ uses them or if that other secret team does.

I wonder if they’ll be used in S&L? Or if stuff like ARGUS/DEO will?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

They never really swiped that in the comics though, or at least I don’t remember them doing that, and with Wally seemingly taking back the mantle from Barry I don’t know if they ever will. I’m fine with sharing STAR Labs though, the organization having multiple branches in different cities doesn’t bother me. Would be cool to see them used more in the Superman titles although Bendis did set up a plotline with them that kinda petered out. We’ll see if PKJ uses them or if that other secret team does.

I wonder if they’ll be used in S&L? Or if stuff like ARGUS/DEO will?
    It seems like he's working directly with the military through General Lane.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I’m fine with that tbh. The last thing we need is Clark hanging out in a lab.
    I just don't like all of Clark's best qualities getting sold piecemeal to make other concepts work when DC struggles to make people care about him.

Everyone whines that Superman isn't relevant and all I can think is "well you say that and yet you love all these Superman elements when they're sold half-off to other IPs, so I dunno, sounds like BS to me."

If it was just STAR labs I would live with it, but at this point this is, what, twenty-third sin?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I just don't like all of Clark's best qualities getting sold piecemeal to make other concepts work when DC struggles to make people care about him.

Everyone whines that Superman isn't relevant and all I can think is "well you say that and yet you love all these Superman elements when they're sold half-off to other IPs, so I dunno, sounds like BS to me."

If it was just STAR labs I would live with it, but at this point this is, what, twenty-third sin?
    Oh I get it. I used to rage every time Supergirl would steal yet another piece of his myth and I’m still genuinely angry that they made Kara a journalist but Clark, apparently, doesn’t get to be one anymore.

I just can’t stand the way Star Labs has been used on The Flash so I’m grateful only in the sense that I do not want that set-up on the new show. But I completely agree with the larger point.