Page 29 of 149 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Pretty soon he'll be 17, huh

But seriously, this is really cool to hear. I knew the idea was gonna basally be to mix Lois & Clark and Smalliville. It's an extremely solid plan of attack for a show like this, and, ironically enough, literally none of the DC shows on the CW are actually doing dramas about teen characters. Similar to how Lois and Clark are about to scratch the itch for a working parents show, Jon really works that teen demo.

I mean, if Walking Dead can unironically do what is 100000% just "Waling Dead Kids", then Superman's got this no problem.
    The CW show with the closest apparent parallel seems to be Black Lightning with the family structure and a look a different generations of superheros. And that is a solid model to follow. Curious if they'll do a flashback model, maybe the teen Jon is in the future and they flash back or forward so you see the early struggles and his life later on. I do hope they give it a touch of Legends' "why the f' not" attitude with storylines though, mix in a ton of pure comic goodness.

Pretty soon he'll be 17, huh
    I wouldn't be surprised if they play him closer to his Rebirth age though.
    But seriously, this is really cool to hear. I knew the idea was gonna basally be to mix Lois & Clark and Smalliville. It's an extremely solid plan of attack for a show like this, and, ironically enough, literally none of the DC shows on the CW are actually doing dramas about teen characters. Similar to how Lois and Clark are about to scratch the itch for a working parents show, Jon really works that teen demo.

I mean, if Walking Dead can unironically do what is 100000% just "Waling Dead Kids", then Superman's got this no problem.
    They usually have at least one or two teen or young adult character to fill out the sidekick roles (Thea, Roy, Wally, Nora, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The CW show with the closest apparent parallel seems to be Black Lightning with the family structure and a look a different generations of superheros. And that is a solid model to follow. Curious if they'll do a flashback model, maybe the teen Jon is in the future and they flash back or forward so you see the early struggles and his life later on. I do hope they give it a touch of Legends' "why the f' not" attitude with storylines though, mix in a ton of pure comic goodness.
    That's kind of grown stale on me so I hope they don't go that extent. I want Superman, not Superman by way of Thor Ragnarok.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it too much until a reputable site posts it. "I've heard" and "I've learned" are not good sources. GWW, cosmicbooknews, Bleeding Cool, etc, these guys are all throwing darts at a wall of ideas and posting whatever they hit as "exclusives". Every now & then they guess correctly, and then their readers endlessly parade them as "factual sites", but you know...broken clocks and all that.
    Not Bleeding Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Not Bleeding Cool.
    It's pretty rare to see sources posted in your articles, and BC desperately needs an editor. The misspellings, grammar errors, etc make it look very much less than professional.

It's not me trying to be a d!ck or anything, just pointing out some truths. With no sources named and so many errors, it ends up in the same column as those other sites.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's kind of grown stale on me so I hope they don't go that extent. I want Superman, not Superman by way of Thor Ragnarok.
    Honestly, after having seen What We Do in the Shadows and hearing the good buzz for Jojo Rabbit, I would be 100% on board with the idea of Taika Waititi doing a Superman movie.

The general public needs to be reminded that Superman is the biggest, weirdest superhero of them all who has the craziest adventures. I don't think we'd need a full film series of stuff like that, but one should allow for a Ragnarok-like installment being mixed in. It worked for Thor, and there is much less precedent for Thor being suited for that type of story than Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Honestly, after having seen What We Do in the Shadows and hearing the good buzz for Jojo Rabbit, I would be 100% on board with the idea of Taika Waititi doing a Superman movie.

The general public needs to be reminded that Superman is the biggest, weirdest superhero of them all who has the craziest adventures. I don't think we'd need a full film series of stuff like that, but one should allow for a Ragnarok-like installment being mixed in. It worked for Thor, and there is much less precedent for Thor being suited for that type of story than Superman.
    I appreciate his skill as a filmmaker, I'm not denying that, but as a fan I really did not enjoy Ragnarok so I wouldn't really care for it for Superman unless it was a one-off.

I appreciate his skill as a filmmaker, I'm not denying that, but as a fan I really did not enjoy Ragnarok so I wouldn't really care for it for Superman unless it was a one-off.
    One-off in a film series with other installments with more varied tones and plots would be good. Superman should have variety, and I think he does if creators would bother with it. No more grounded stuff with Zod being the craziest thing we see on film as a break from Lex and Daily Planet stuff. Go for Mxy or Warworld or the Legion of Superheroes in the next film series.

Fair enough, but something like Ragnarok would work far better tone wise for Superman than it did for Thor.

One-off in a film series with other installments with more varied tones and plots would be good. Superman should have variety, and I think he does if creators would bother with it. No more grounded stuff with Zod being the craziest thing we see on film as a break from Lex and Daily Planet stuff. Go for Mxy or Warworld or the Legion of Superheroes in the next film series.
    Variety would be nice .
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Fair enough, but something like Ragnarok would work far better tone wise for Superman than it did for Thor.
    I don't necessarily disagree, as long as we don't get somebody quipping about a planet blowing up or the new villain coming in and offing the Daily Planet staff like it's nothing.

I don't necessarily disagree, as long as we don't get somebody quipping about a planet blowing up or the new villain coming in and offing the Daily Planet staff like it's nothing.
    Tonally, I don't think anything like Lois and Jimmy getting casually offed would happen if we were pulling inspiration from Ragnarok. I don't recall anything like that happening.

Quipping about absurd things wouldn't be out of place in a Superman movie, after all his old school comics were practically batshit insane sitcoms.

Tonally, I don't think anything like Lois and Jimmy getting casually offed would happen if we were pulling inspiration from Ragnarok. I don't recall anything like that happening.
    It happened to the Warriors Three.

Variety would be nice .

Hot take: Superman making quips about that is more preferable to me than another “deep” piece about how being Superman really just sucks man. No more Sadboy shots where he floats above Earth listening to all the bad stuff going down please it’s just cliche and trite at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I've only seen it once so I must have forgotten that. Were they killed by Hela?

Avoid stuff like that, and we should be good. We did already have to endure Jimmy getting shot after all.

Hot take: Superman making quips about that is more preferable to me than another “deep” piece about how being Superman really just sucks man. No more Sadboy shots where he floats above Earth listening to all the bad stuff going down please it’s just cliche and trite at this point.
    yes, I will gladly take it over the alternative we just had. Though naturally the ever elusive balance needs to be struck, tonally Ragnarok is something Superman desperately needs and is already well suited for. it worked for Thor, and he isn't even designed for it as well as Superman is.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if they play him closer to his Rebirth age though
    Sure...while the can. If they're casting starting at 14 then in 2 to 3 years you gotta play him as his age.

That's the catch with child actors. Doesn't matter how they wanna play anything. That's not even taking into account growth spurts or how the kid hits puberty in general. By season 3 the kid could be 3 inches taller than his mom and dad.

That's likely why they went for 14. That way he's already a teen, and they can already tell those teen stories and only build on them as the actor physically matures.

But functional speaking, after he's around 17 they can basically stop his age there for a while. Actors as old as 26 or even 31 have played and continue to play older teens on TV and in movies. That's what makes it such a sweet spot for live action stuff.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Seriously. Hela just walks in and offs Volstagg and Fandral in two seconds. They don't even get to put up a fight like Hogun does .

Heimdall doesn't get much better in the follow up film.
    I'm fine with Superman using quips and being jovial. Though I have come to believe that there is such a thing as "too much quips."
    yes, I will gladly take it over the alternative we just had. Though naturally the ever elusive balance needs to be struck, tonally Ragnarok is something Superman desperately needs and is already well suited for. it worked for Thor, and he isn't even designed for it as well as Superman is.
    Ragnarok led to Fat Thor. I'm not looking for Fat Superman .

Sure...while the can. If they're casting starting at 14 then in 2 to 3 years you gotta play him as his age.

That's the catch with child actors. Doesn't matter how they wanna play anything. That's not even taking into account growth spurts or how the kid hits puberty in general. By season 3 the kid could be 3 inches taller than his mom and dad.

That's likely why they went for 14. That way he's already a teen, and they can already tell those teen stories and only build on them as the actor physically matures.

But functional speaking, after he's around 17 they can basically stop his age there for a while. Actors as old as 26 or even 31 have played and continue to play older teens on TV and in movies. That's what makes it such a sweet spot for live action stuff.
    I guess one benefit of this series is it can show the gradual aging of Jon into young adulthood instead of needing a controversial time skip.