Page 111 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2229

I'm really surprised that people enjoy Cryer as Lex Luthor. I haven't seen Supergirl but I did see his appearances in Crisis, and I couldn't take him seriously. Eisenberg portrayed an idiosyncratic weird Lex. One who without being threatening himself, had the tools to hurt others. But Cryer seems to portray a Lex Luthor who thinks he is threatening and intimidating, and yet has a high pitched voice, full lips, doe eyes. It's just seems miscast to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I'm really surprised that people enjoy Cryer as Lex Luthor. I haven't seen Supergirl but I did see his appearances in Crisis, and I couldn't take him seriously. Eisenberg portrayed an idiosyncratic weird Lex. One who without being threatening himself, had the tools to hurt others. But Cryer seems to portray a Lex Luthor who thinks he is threatening and intimidating, and yet has a high pitched voice, full lips, doe eyes. It's just seems miscast to me.
    I think he was more effective in that respect than Eisenberg where he doesn't seem intimidating or someone worth thinking about but that belies how smart, vicious, and conniving he is. He was much easier to take seriously than Eisenebrg is, without being as goofy.

Could you show me a clip where you think Cryer is good? I'm trying to be open minded and not a harsh critic

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Ok. It's not bad per say, but still forgettable. Doesn't really oush my strings. I'm sure there were countless better picks.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    We know this show gets dark at some points based on the leaked script, but it’s not going to get Snyder-tier “Metropolis gets completely destroyed” edgy I’d bet. Wouldn’t surprise me if they do try to recreate some of the Snyder fights except Hoechlin actually protects people and prevents property damage as opposed to Cavill.
    They have emo kid Jordan if they want to go for the edgy route. You don't know how he is going to act after he'll get powers.

The real question is will the show consistently look good beyond the pilot, or will they front load it to get people watching only to downsize the budget after the first episode or season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I thought the same thing. The cinematography and color palate seemed remarkably similar, which I guess makes sense. If you're going to take anything from Snyder's controversial take, it's the visuals, which were always stunning. I don't see how they'll be able to maintain that over 13 episodes on a CW budget, even if HBO Max is footing some of the bill.
    If the show will be longer the usual 22 eps next season, the budget x ep will be probably significantly downsized .

Ok. It's not bad per say, but still forgettable. Doesn't really oush my strings. I'm sure there were countless better picks.
    I'm a fan of this one:

The most surprising thing is that he actually changes his voice for this role. He tries to go a bit lower than his usual tone. But he just has this inherently funny looking face.

Incredible Member

The most surprising thing is that he actually changes his voice for this role. He tries to go a bit lower than his usual tone. But he just has this inherently funny looking face.
    I mean, whenever I see Cryer's Lex, I can't stop thinking on Alan Harper XD , but he is a really good Lex.

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    I agree. Though I guess we did see the extent of his hatred for Supes in Crisis with that whole slaughter all Supemen of the Multiverse stuff, though weirdly we didn't see an actual interaction between the 2 in Crisis. I feel like we're just being told of their hatred for each other but not seeing it in action, and seeing much substance. Which is a shame since I'd definitely like to see how this version of Clark bounces off his greatest enemy. Maybe after this stuff with the "Stranger" is done this season we can get Cryer in the next one. Though he might feel a bit redundant as a villain with this whole "Stranger" stuff, so who knows? Maybe he can be a recurring character Clark has to deal with here and there.
    I really hope they dont go with Lex Luthor as a main villain on Superman, because:

1) He must be really expensive, and the money he would cost could be better used on visual effects to, maybe, bring Mongul or Brainiac to screen or just do cool fights.

2) Superman have so many great villains that gets zero atention, instead of focus on Lex or Zod again, they could go for characters like Mongul, Brainiac or even Ultra-Humanite.

3) Lex was already used to exaustion on Supergirl, anything they do on Superman & Lois with him will look like a rehash from the things they did on Supergirl.

Not saying they should completely ignore the existence of Lex Luthor, but if/when they use him on the show, it should be after S&L already stablished itself and as a short arc not a season long villain and definitely not as a regular character as Lex was in Smallville.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Some pretty good Lex Luthor.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The trailer looks REALLY good! And I'm glad we're finally getting some actual footage from the show. Guess that HBO budget makes all the difference in the world. Looks like a cross between L&C, Smallville, and MOS.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Ok,You misunderstand.No,It's called innovation and creativity.Having a voice.Donner's was that,he came up with these things with inspirations from other sources.But,if someone just uses it(donner) without anything else .it seizes to be creative.And i am sticking to my complaint which was there from the start.It's trailer.That's precisley the problem.They should be showing and showcasing what's different, what they think is cool and what's new(if anything) rather than saying "look guys, Superman has the same old things".
    I'm not "misunderstanding" anything. This is this shows voice, you don't have to like it but please don't erase it to win an argument on the internet. That's incredibly disrespectful to the creators of that tv show. Donner didn't create everything in those movies. Every creator takes from multiple sources, Arrow verse takes from both Donner's and Snyder's, as well doing their own spin on things. The trailer is doing its job giving the audience the pitch - which is about Clark and Lois raising two sons. Anything else you'll have to watch the show to find out. They are.

Dude!yours was hyperbole.I gave it back to you in the same way.Then again you are calling snyder superman lex,metallo,...etc or whatnot.So,what i wrote wasn't wrong.You do think snyder's superman is son of satan.So,not much of a hyperbole.Well,if superman you liked threatens people "he has good reason".What do you think snyder's superman had(if did threaten people)? tooth fairy?Please,you don't have faithful version.You have a headcanon a based of on (from what i get.I can tell you it ain't byrne superman)dcau bruce timm's superman and some saint like gandhi or jesus or something like that. I have one too.But,i argue based on his history,sometimes the versions and my view of it,what's presented to me(atleast i try to.these things get mixed up).And Unless you can talk to dead people and siegel/shuster's spirit.You or anybody who says they have "faithfull" superman is lieing.All anybody can get is an aproximations, modernisations..etc.Simply put,an adaptation.
    Stop with the projection. When the shoe fits, personally I don't like Superman to be a person who overtly threatens to murder people at the drop of a hat because he has no impulse control. Ultraman more like, Son of Satan is from the other company. Good reason? He barely knew Batman before telling him to stop being Batman or he'd kill him. This was their first encounter. If he didn't threaten people, give me a break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB-FvIrIML4

"Next time they shine your light in the sky don't go to it. The Bat is dead. Bury it. Consider this mercy." Classic intimidation. Threatening language heavily implying death, get lost forever or the next time we meet you'll be chunky salsa.

Despite the fact they do the same things. Please don't gaslight me when we both know the arguments presented in the past is decrying any Superman except the Golden Age and Snyder's as being terrible. Do you hate Superman in TAS or not? Where's the consistency? I'm not using head canon, the versions I like? Those include Superman TAS, Young Justice TAS, Smallville's, Arrow verse - the show didn't create this Superman he started on Supergirl's tv show and Young Justice TAS. No, I don't consider Superman a saint, he just doesn't have to be an edge lord who acts like a leg breaker for the mob. There are more options available then cultural osmosis Jesus Superman and Snyder's Superman who has more Jesus imagery than every other Superman movie combined despite acting nothing like Jesus. This is about facts, not opinions. That's not what adaption means, and Shuster wrote Superman in the Silver Age. Superman in the Arrow verse is going back to its roots, post-Golden Age, with a modern update. Superman didn't stop being made in comics or other media when the Golden Age ended. Connoting others opinions as "lying" when all they're doing is having a different opinion is not a good faith argument. Superman is a character who only lies to protect his loved ones, not because he can't accept other opinions he disagrees with. Luffy and Goku don't do that, either.

To add onto what Frontier said, the biggest plus for me is that Cryer Lex hates Superman for making him feel small and excuses every evil action he commits with a “well Superman made me do that so he’s the real villain here” aka the comic Lex mindset. And the CW has never shied away from campiness, so they’re totally willing to embrace and factor it in. In contrast Eisenberg Lex is supposed to be this deep intellectual take, but because it’s Zack Snyder it completely fails. Lex hates Superman because Supes is Jesus and Jesus didn’t save him from his daddy which is just the dumbest f****** thing ever, we get the twitching and the howling as Snyder’s idea of mental illness, and despite the aspirations at maturity and darkness, BvS Lex is campy as all hell, a Pre-Crisis cartoon in a Dark Age edgefest. In short Cryer fits and is entertaining for what he is while Eisenberg sticks out like a sore thumb and actively drags down every scene he’s in.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    To add onto what Frontier said, the biggest plus for me is that Cryer Lex hates Superman for making him feel small and excuses every evil action he commits with a “well Superman made me do that so he’s the real villain here” aka the comic Lex mindset. And the CW has never shied away from campiness, so they’re totally willing to embrace and factor it in. In contrast Eisenberg Lex is supposed to be this deep intellectual take, but because it’s Zack Snyder it completely fails. Lex hates Superman because Supes is Jesus and Jesus didn’t save him from his daddy which is just the dumbest f****** thing ever, we get the twitching and the howling as Snyder’s idea of mental illness, and despite the aspirations at maturity and darkness, BvS Lex is campy as all hell, a Pre-Crisis cartoon in a Dark Age edgefest. In short Cryer fits and is entertaining for what he is while Eisenberg sticks out like a sore thumb and actively drags down every scene he’s in.
    I'll just add that Cryer's simply the most complete Lex Luthor we've ever had in live action. Consider the following:

Hackman: American nightmare business mogul (kind of, he is kind of a prototype for it. This fits more than the other archetype, mad scientist, but he predates the American nightmare reinvention from Byrne). Camp.
    Shea: American nightmare business mogul. Semi camp.
    Spacey: American nightmare business mogul (kind of, he evokes it). Very faint moments of camp, otherwise brutally sinister.
    Eisenberg: lol

Rosenbaum is the only actual contender for a better Lex Luthor representation, but it's his formative years and I'll admit I haven't seen a ton of Smallville, but I'll bet with what I did remember he did a great job with some very hit-or-miss material.

I never watched the Superboy live action show, so no idea how he was portrayed there.

I think Cryer shows the most dimensions to Lex. Mad scientist? Check. Camp? Check. American nightmare business mogul? Check. Super genius? Check. Sinister? Check.

It comes down to Cryer or Rosenbaum. I can't speak to Rosenbaum, but what I've seen of Cryer was some great Lex Luthor.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-23-2021 at 02:06 AM.