Page 55 of 149 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    It's becoming clearer and clearer that "Superman and Lois"
    Is basically the spiritual sequel to both "Lois and Clark" and "Smallville". I kinda dig it on a conceptual level.
    Me too! This is kind of what I was hoping for from a Superman show. A combination of the best elements of both versions. I really hope this does well.

In terms of the ages of the characters, I always kind of thought that Hoechlin was too young to be a Superman that was supposed to be the age that found Kara. If we were talking about one who was just starting out, I think he'd be fine. But he's essentially playing a character ten years older than he is in real life. So you have this baby faced Superman who is supposed to be (estimated) 40ish. It's a little off putting. And now they're going to saddle him with two teenage sons. Played by 20 year olds. I hope that visually I can get used to it but right now my brain is having a hard time suspending disbelief.
    Last edited by superduperman; 04-08-2020 at 07:20 AM.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Me too! This is kind of what I was hoping for from a Superman show. A combination of the best elements of both versions. I really hope this does well.

In terms of the ages of the characters, I always kind of thought that Hoechlin was too young to be a Superman that was supposed to be the age that found Kara. If we were talking about one who was just starting out, I think he'd be fine. But he's essentially playing a character ten years older than he is in real life. So you have this baby faced Superman who is supposed to be (estimated) 40ish. It's a little off putting. And now they're going to saddle him with two teenage sons. Played by 20 year olds. I hope that visually I can get used to it but right now my brain is having a hard time suspending disbelief.
    Hoechlin should grow a beard, it would make him look older and help set him apart from other versions.

They've lampshaded his youngish looks relative to his in universe age in the show from his first appearance with the comment that Kryptonian's age slows down the longer they are on earth and the older they get. So it's possible, if not likely, that would continue to be a bit of a running joke within the show.

Assassinate Putin!

I really hope this stops any LanaxClark thing going on behind other peoples' backs and what not.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I've largely stopped following the CW superhero shows after Crisis, so maybe this has been addressed, but if Green Arrow is now supposed to be the first superhero, how does Superman fit in, particularly now that he's got two ten year old sons with Lois Lane?

Is the idea that Oliver's first appearance has retroactively been placed further into the past than 2012? Then Superman appeared, quickly wooed Lois, got hitched and started popping out kids?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I've largely stopped following the CW superhero shows after Crisis, so maybe this has been addressed, but if Green Arrow is now supposed to be the first superhero, how does Superman fit in, particularly now that he's got two ten year old sons with Lois Lane?

Is the idea that Oliver's first appearance has retroactively been placed further into the past than 2012? Then Superman appeared, quickly wooed Lois, got hitched and started popping out kids?
    The merged timelines floating around still have Clark debuting first, with the one on the wiki putting it at late 1990’s (and Batman in the early 2000’s). Black Lighting also predated Oliver and retired and raised his kids too. Oliver might have just been the first one to go public with his identity.

https://arrow.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline_of_Earth-Prime

They basically lampshaded that. I think the president's statement was a fluke on the part of the writers. Yes, both Superman and Batman would predate Green Arrow in the new timeline. If Kate was discharged under DADT, then that means she would had to have at least been 18, if not older, as of 2012 when it was abolished. And she was 12 when her car went off the bridge. And Batman was around back then. Clark would have to have been around at least as early as 2003 which would have been around the time Kara's ship came to Earth.
    Assassinate Putin!

From a meta standpoint the line was basically just to acknowledge Green Arrow's status as the flagship Arrowverse hero. I don't think the writers thought it through that much.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    From a meta standpoint the line was basically just to acknowledge Green Arrow's status as the flagship Arrowverse hero. I don't think the writers thought it through that much.
    It could also be chalked up to reality still being in a bit of flux and "cooling" as the new timeline settled,similar to what happened in the Comics with Crisis. After all for the first 6 or so months following the end of the miniseries,Superman comics were still set within the Pre-crisis continuity. Then,bam,after the two part Alan Moore story(which technically wasn't in continuity) we were suddenly in Byrne continuity.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    It could also be chalked up to reality still being in a bit of flux and "cooling" as the new timeline settled,similar to what happened in the Comics with Crisis. After all for the first 6 or so months following the end of the miniseries,Superman comics were still set within the Pre-crisis continuity. Then,bam,after the two part Alan Moore story(which technically wasn't in continuity) we were suddenly in Byrne continuity.
    In the last episode of Arrow, everyone basically found out about the Crisis and even admitted it in a documentary. His mother and Tommy were brought back to life and his mother is on tape saying she was surprised to find out she used to be dead. There were also "carry overs" from other universes in both Supergirl and Batwoman with "good" Beth and multiple Brainiacs.
    Assassinate Putin!

In the last episode of Arrow, everyone basically found out about the Crisis and even admitted it in a documentary. His mother and Tommy were brought back to life and his mother is on tape saying she was surprised to find out she used to be dead. There were also "carry overs" from other universes in both Supergirl and Batwoman with "good" Beth and multiple Brainiacs.
    Plus also on Supergirl there were two Al the bartender and the three Kryptonian witches. Which means that even though some villains first appeared on Supergirl, such as Parasite, Livewire and the original Metallo, they could still
    show up on Superman and Lois with the explanation that they are another Earth's version.

I think it’s just a bad throwaway line, remember when they briefly tried to make a rule that there were only 53 earths in the multiverse? I remember when they first introduced the multiverse they said it was infinite, then for some reason when earth x happened they said there were only 53, and then quickly ditched that with no explanation when COIE became a thing. Given that Charlie still has Amaya’s face, I imagine the Justice society must still have been a thing on earth prime. So it’s either them (or Jeff’s great uncle Gravedigger?) who’s the first heroes on earth prime.

Incredible Member

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a little Post-Crisis retconning there to make James another character, thereby allowing a goofier Jimmy Olsen to appear.
    They were very adamant about his character being "James". Maybe he has a kid cousin named "Jimmy". Preferably a younger dork type.

Sometimes these shows misname characters. Winn absolutely should have been Jimmy. There's barely a problem with making Toyman his estranged dad since the classic comic take on his dad works.

James could have been Ron Troupe or Jose Delgado or John Henry Irons or even an unusually sympathetic Steve Lombard. Or some Dick Malverne reinvention.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    They were very adamant about his character being "James". Maybe he has a kid cousin named "Jimmy". Preferably a younger dork type.

Sometimes these shows misname characters. Winn absolutely should have been Jimmy. There's barely a problem with making Toyman his estranged dad since the classic comic take on his dad works.

James could have been Ron Troupe or Jose Delgado or John Henry Irons or even an unusually sympathetic Steve Lombard. Or some Dick Malverne reinvention.
    That wouldn't work for the story they were initially telling. The whole reason Jimmy moved to National City was Clark wanted Jimmy to keep an eye on Clark's cousin. If Jimmy were the character Winn was
    there would have been no reason for Jimmy to leave the Daily Planet and move from Metropolis to National City. And Winn is way too young to be Superman's pal. Jimmy would need to be someone nearer
    Clark in age. Yes Clark looks young, but Clark has actually been on Earth for about 40 years. So Jimmy needs to be in at least his mid 30s. Winn seemed to be in his late 20s at most.
    I think the best bet if they want to use Jimmy is to have him be a doppelganger from another Earth and maybe the Earth 38 Jimmy no longer exists and no one knows the difference. They just
    assume this Jimmy has been here all along. After all there was a female Brainiac 5 from another Earth. So if they can swap the gender of a character they can swap back age and race.