Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Anyone know what happened to the Powerstone?

This was an early form of Kryptonite that granted powers to humans like Luthor and Ultra-Humanite during the 1940s.

Was it destroyed?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It slipped into the multiverse and became the subject for a very rad Sega Dreamcast brawler!

I admit, this one is news to me so I'm curious as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This was an early form of Kryptonite that granted powers to humans like Luthor and Ultra-Humanite during the 1940s.

Was it destroyed?
    Hmmm, I'm vaguely aware of its existence but have no idea what was its fate.

Does anyone know the answer?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It slipped into the multiverse and became the subject for a very rad Sega Dreamcast brawler!

I admit, this one is news to me so I'm curious as well.
    F%$ck. Your cool points just shot through the got damn roof for this one man. This is EXACTLY what came to mind.

Give us a 3rd game you cowards!!!!!
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Incredible Member

it became blackrock ? i dunno. the only powerstone i know of was blackrock.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Blackrock was a whole separate thing.

Apparently the Power stone was blown up in All Star Squadron, but I'm not a jsa fan.

I'm way more into the Capcom one Robanker mentioned than any of the above LMAO. Everyone used to say part 2 was better but I was a little mixed, the first game was largely perfect to me.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Superman tricked lex and it fell down.AFter that there isn't much clarity on what happened to it.As far as superman comics go that's the end.As @kuwagaton mentioned all star squadron had it.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Mighty Member

Ultra-Humanite got it as Delores Winters in 1942. Apparently destroyed when Cyclotron blew up, taking Ultra's Delores body (that had the stone embedded in her forehead) with him.

As far as I know, during the actual Golden Age, it just got used in two stories, first in Action # 47, then in Superman # 17, which were only a few months apart.

In Superman # 17's Powerstone story, Clark just has the Powerstone at first, apparently having kept it for safekeeping after Action # 47. He looks at it in his apartment, rather than in Superman's Secret Citadel, where Roy Thomas asserts that the Man of Steel keeps it on a pedestal. Roy Thomas's later assertion that CK kept the stone in the Secret Citadel is pretty reasonable in my book, and certainly the story where Ultra steals it (starting in All-Star Squadron # 21) is a pretty fantastic Golden Age homage! But I have to admit, I do kind of prefer the non-retconned version, where all I can do is assume that Superman just takes the thing back to his apartment, haha!

Besides, the All-Star Squadron version portrays Luthor with red hair in his fight with Superman, which is not consistent with the events of the actual Golden Age stories. It's easy enough to dismiss it if you want to, and I suspect most fans would, but to me, it just adds more fuel to my personal crusade to extricate the actual Golden Age and its updated folk-memory, the later Earth Two. But I digress.

The Powerstone makes two Golden Age appearances, and seven Bronze Age appearances in All-Star Squadron, at the end of which story it is apparently destroyed by Cyclotron, in All-Star Squadron Annual # 2, just as WilliamtheDay said above. There is some room for speculation that the Earth Two Powerstone wasn't actually destroyed however, since as noted in that very story, Ultra later (earlier) showed up alive in the 1980s, in the body of a gorilla. If they didn't die, it's very possible the stone didn't go either. On the other hand, if Ultra had the Powerstone, you'd think he would have used it.

In conclusion, All-Star Squadron, is pretty cool.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Blackrock was a whole separate thing.
    Yeah Blackrock isn't related to Krypton at all. The Powerstone came from Krypton.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah Blackrock isn't related to Krypton at all. The Powerstone came from Krypton.
    What? Is that one of Thomas's retcons that I forgot about? It sure wasn't from Krypton in the Golden Age version; it was an ancient stone found in a cave and presumably it was just plain old magic.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    What? Is that one of Thomas's retcons that I forgot about? It sure wasn't from Krypton in the Golden Age version; it was an ancient stone found in a cave and presumably it was just plain old magic.
    There was something about some buddhist monks.wasn't there?
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Hmm... it is said to be "from another planet" but now that I look again... not said to be from Krypton.