Page 13 of 149 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't really agree that we need to look at Superman through the eyes of another character (though spin offs in addition to a solo show for him would be fine) but I do agree that the Donner aesthetics need to fucking go away already.
    As far as aesthetic goes. Snyder didn't use any donner influence. He took more postcrisis route.

If anything, I think we need to get inside Superman/Clark Kent's head. We need to see what he thinks and feels. What makes him happy or scared, and to see him doing great and heroic things. Man and Superman by Marv Wolfman did it very well in his story. I found his Clark very relatable and likable. The story wasn't about cheap drama or cheesy romance, it was about him finding his way in Metropolis as a writer/reporter, and trying to figure out how to present himself as a hero. That's what we need, an indepth look to Superman and Clark in a more serious way with the occasional humorous moment to lighten up the mood, and with plenty of heart and some good heroics. Lois and Lex were quite interesting too. She was a real professional, and Lex an evil mastermind. We need quality storytelling.

Instead we are getting a soap opera with cheese and some heroics..

When it comes to aesthetics, I'm fine with using some Donner and post-crisis influences. The show Krypton used a bit of everything from Superman 's mythos and it worked well. The most important thing is the story and characterizations, iMO.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 10-29-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Still processing ...

Does this mean that SUPERGIRL will end after this season?

Two Superverse TV shows set in the same universe seems redundant ...
    I don't think it's a coincidence that the contracts for the Supergirl cast expires next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Sorry, but this is CW, Greg Berlanti and a modern DC superhero show in the "Supergirl" vein.
    I think that at this point we all know what to expect. It's not that Berlanti will change into Christopher Nolan all of a sudden.
    I don't think he needs to.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    so what are the chacnes they age Jon up by the end of the first season? CW loves their drama and I could see them wanting to do some relationships on this show to make it relate to a teen audience
    I don't think he's going to be his Rebirth age, but he might be in-between that and the Bendis age-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I really expect this new Superman show to be similar to Supergirl.. and Lois to be more mature and emotionally strong than Clark... because the CW treats this Superman as inferior to women. yay.
    Well, considering the main character this time around is actually Superman, I don't expect them to handle him the same way they did when Supergirl was the main character.
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    If anything, I think we need to get inside Superman/Clark Kent's head. We need to see what he thinks and feels. What makes him happy or scared. Man and Superman by Marv Wolfman did it very well in his story. I found his Clark very relatable and likable. The story wasn't about cheap drama or cheesy romance, it was about him finding his way in Metropolis as a writer/reporter, and trying to figure out how to present himself as a hero. That's what we need, an indepth look to Superman and Clark in a more serious way with the occasional humorous moment to lighten up the mood, and with plenty of heart and some good heroics. Lois and Lex were quite interesting too. She was a real professional, and Lex an evil mastermind. We need quality storytelling.

Instead we are getting a soap opera with cheese and some heroics..
    Every Arrowverse show gets into their protagonists heads, so I don't see this being any different, other then we will also probably see into Lois's head since she's the co-lead.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    And he acted like green arrow too not like batman. I think the reasoning was justified. Clark basically at first didn't want to leave the farm. He was happy being a farmer in memory of pa. Then lois and legion came into picture. Clark had reasons to move on without letting go. Also, clark's hate for capes and costumes(both in reality and in show) didn't help either. He refused to play clumsy clark. Lois had to make him. It was one of the best thing show did. I imagine clark would hate living a lie.
    Yeah, it was a good workaround. They did the best they could given the situation. And Hartley's Green Arrow was great. I've got no problem with him being the superhero focus while Clark was still figuring things out.

You also had Clark being reluctant to assume full-on superhero status because he didn't want to assume the messianic status the corrupted Jor-El AI was trying to push on him.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Yeah, it was a good workaround. They did the best they could given the situation. And Hartley's Green Arrow was great. I've got no problem with him being the superhero focus while Clark was still figuring things out.

You also had Clark being reluctant to assume full-on superhero status because he didn't want to assume the messianic status the corrupted Jor-El AI was trying to push on him.
    Why does jor el always turn out to be a jerk? It's a troupe at this point.

The Kents have to be Clark’s moral foundation which means you can’t do much drama with them or you’ll risk undermining their purpose. Jor-El only needs to put Kal in the rocket and send him off to Earth, that’s his entire narrative purpose for Supes. So that means you can play around with him. He can be a benevolent space god figure, an arrogant dick, an aloof father, an ideal for Kal to aspire to, a tragic figure, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    I am with you on this. This news is disappointing. Superman deserves more. With the success of Watchmen, WB should step up. Give him an expensive TV show on HBO , we don't even need movies. Batman,Wonder Woman and Aquaman are now prestigious. Superman belongs with them.
    I agree, more than anything, Superman really needs a quality show or movie, not more cheese and subpar storytelling. I'm so worried for my fave character.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I'm kind of bummed so many here are automatically dismissing it before we've even seen one episode.

Do I wish we were getting more Superman on the big screen instead? Yeah of course, but at least this beats just not doing anything in live action with Supes at all,which honestly looked to be the case after they've shelved the movies.

Plus,this means a high probability of more Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor, possibly on a regular basis. I think most of us can agree that's a good thing.

Let's take a breath and wait till we see this thing before automatically trying to kill it with fire,ok?
    I have given the CW a lot of chances and it just doesn't really do it for me. Every show I have watch has disappointed me big time. I don't expect this Superman show to be the exception... But if it is, if it turns out very good I'll say it.

I'm not going to watch it, but if I hear consistently good reactions from people I trust, I'll give it a chance. I just want what's best for my fave character. I want more people to love and respect him.. not to think he's lame and boring.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 10-29-2019 at 09:41 AM.

I don't know. It was an entirely new concept at the time. I think they eventually revealed the AI had been corrupted, so it wasn't actually Jor-El, just a mixture of him and outside influences.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    CW is a place for teeny bloopers and guilt pleasures. The writing in those shows has never been excellent. They have a reputation for a good first season by CW's own standards and everything falls apart. Legion, Daredevil and even Gotham and Lucifer are better than anything on CW. CW is cheap, they hire cheap people to make their shows and it hurts the quality of their shows.

Any Superman show would be better if it was on Netflix, FX or HBO than the CW. This is not 15-20 years ago when we had The WB. The WB was a superior channel to the CW. There were some legitimately good critically acclaimed shows on WB like The Gilmore Girls, Felicity and Buffy the vampire slayer that are considered some of the greatest TV shows of all time. No CW show has ever reached and will ever reach that feat.
    Can't speak for Legion, Daredevil, or Lucifer (never cared to watch any of them), but Gotham...
    Up until the final season or two, Gotham had no idea what it was doing beyond every other episode. Ivy was recast 3 times, Cobblepot took over the city 2-3 different times, it was strongly hinted at Barbara Keens becoming Harley Quinn for a couple of seasons until she never was, etc.
    Gotham was a hot mess, if enjoyable at times. The CW shows have at least been better planned over the course of seasons and had really good episodes and arcs.

I think this show has the potential to be great! Maybe a healthy mix of LOIS & CLARK: THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN and Donner influence.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'm not entirely sold either, but I'm unsure as to anyone having strong ideas on who Superman is and how he works in our world. I'm not saying he needs to fit snuggly into 2019 context either, a campy Superman or a period piece film in the 30s...all that sounds golden- as long as it is going somewhere interesting and new.
    I'd kill for a period film set in the 30s/40s.

Probably for Batman too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The Kents have to be Clark’s moral foundation which means you can’t do much drama with them or you’ll risk undermining their purpose. Jor-El only needs to put Kal in the rocket and send him off to Earth, that’s his entire narrative purpose for Supes. So that means you can play around with him. He can be a benevolent space god figure, an arrogant dick, an aloof father, an ideal for Kal to aspire to, a tragic figure, etc, etc.
    I wish they'd just leave all Superman's parents dead so we can move on. The Els just need to put him in the rocket and get blown up. The Kents are nice people who find him and raise him, and then Jonathan at least should expire just as he's becoming Superman.

There is no much in Superman's world that can be touched on, I'm sick of his parents.

I think what Superman needs right now are great movies with new supervillains we haven't seen on the big screen. And a story going cosmic to new places. Wow the audience with an epic story, visuals and some solid acting. Show Superman as the confident and more optimistic hero in a more complicated modern world. We don't need campy humor or villains like the Donner movies come on!

Superman and family sounds ok for TV, but I don't trust the CW!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I agree that Superman's parents should not factor into SUPERMAN stories, besides the occasional Jor-El pop up. Ha la Kal El! Ha la la la!

Expand his adult cast. Jimmy Olsen, Bill Henderson, Maggie Swayer, Cat Grant, Dan Turpin, Lana Lang, Shay Veratis, General Swanwick (no, he's not Martian Manhunter), etc.

Let Clark Kent and Superman have other adults to bounce off of and communicate with, and let them be different casts. Clark and Superman shouldn't be interacting with the same people, outside of Jimmy and Lois.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-29-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I agree that Superman's parents should not factor into SUPERMAN stories, besides the occasional Jor-El pop up. Ha la Kal El! Ha la la la!

Expand his adult cast. Jimmy Olsen, Bill Henderson, Maggie Swayer, Cat Grant, Dan Turpin, Lana Lang, Shay Veratis, General Swanwick (no, he's not Martian Manhunter), etc.

Let Clark Kent and Superman have other adults to bounce off of and communicate with, and let them be different casts. Clark and Superman shouldn't be interacting with the same people, outside of Jimmy and Lois.
    I think adding Whitney Fordman will be cool as well. I would have loved chloe too. but i don't know if the character is sullied or not. Also, you forgot his most greatest cast member Bibbo Bibbowski.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I think adding Whitney Fordman will be cool as well. I would have loved chloe too. but i don't know if the character is sullied or not. Also, you forgot his most greatest cast member Bibbo Bibbowski.
    Now that you say that, adding Whitney Fordman as someone who treated Clark really poorly growing up but now is a veteran with PTSD who loves Superman and is trying to make amends with Clark- that'd be a great addition to a supporting cast.

Bibbois fine too, but dont see Superman or Clark as a barroom kinda guy. Maybe as a union guy who works in LexCorps harbour yards and is an informant for Clark. Maybe he becomes a bartender later in the stories.