Page 3 of 149 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Controversial, sizzling hot take: it is a good thing that there is going to be a consistently good live action Superman thing for the first time since the 1950s.

Feed me your hate.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    It's the CW... yay what an achievement. I'm sure the masses are suddenly going to pay attention and watch the new Superman and family show..
    LOL. What point are you actually trying to make except being bitter here? Because the CW shows are successful, that's why Arrow ran 8 seasons and CW and WB's are spending millions of dollars on the Crisis event this year and every year.

Millions of people will watch a new Superman and Family show. Like millions have watched Supergirl, Flash, Arrow, etc. But ok.

Nice! While I think Hoechlin is a bit too.... short, he’s a promising Superman. I’m glad he’s getting a shot as a lead. And really is there literally any cooler way for him to begin his stint than literally having him team up with Routh and Welling (and maybe Cain?) to pass the torch?
    I mean yeah this won’t be Daredevil quality, but It’s not like Lois and Clark or Smallville were either. If nothing else it’ll be nice to have some weekly Superman content again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yes, so much so they are giving them their own show.
    Do you really look at those scenes of him getting clobbered by Supergirl and admitting he lacks what it takes to finish the job and actually find yourself going "Yep that"s Superman." He's getting a show where the focus is on him being a dad, his cousin already clowned him and he basically had to grovel and admit inferiority.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Controversial, sizzling hot take: it is a good thing that there is going to be a consistently good live action Superman thing for the first time since the 1950s.

Feed me your hate.
    I would otherwise very much agree with this, even if it was still out of my appeal as simply CW's take on the Lois & Clark show or something. What I'm looking for is straight-up classic Superman adventures, be it live-action or preferably animation. But the former I'd still see as a positive regardless of network. Considering what its going to be though, I genuinely don't think it will be a positive. The more Jon gets exposed, the worse off Superman is in the long-term. I know plenty will disagree but I've seen enough in the comics to believe this with every fiber of my being.

That's not intended as a shot at the fans and those who will enjoy this. Enjoy what you enjoy with no apologies, I by no means am entitled to anyone's defense of that. I just think its bad for Superman is all.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-28-2019 at 12:46 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Feed me your hate.
    I'll give you 10 bucks if this ends up better than Smallville.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    At least the stupid Superdad and Son idea is being done in the worst possible place. Maybe one day we'll actually get Superman on an actual good network.
    By good network do you mean NBC or CBS, the networks that cancelled Constantine, Flash, and Supergirl after only one season. Obviously ABC is out because Disney owns them and Fox is moving more towards sports and reality programming.
    So who else is left other than the "bad" CW network.

I'm not disconnected, I know it has its fanbase. But in the larger scheme of things it really isn't that big. Its best ratings would be cancel-worthy on the bigger networks. Its been that way for its whole existence. Even shows I liked back in the WB days can only be considered cult.
    Any superhero show is cancel worthy on the big networks.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Hope Routh survives Crisis after all so he can guest as Earth 2 Superman every now and again, maybe advise Hoechlin to switch back to the good suit.

In seriousness: Hoechlin is my favorite Superman actor in a walk, ditto Cryer as Lex, Tulloch was excellent in what little we saw of her as Lois, and while the CW is slapdash as hell in so many ways the shows thus far have profoundly understood their voices. The inevitable wonkiness of plenty of individual episodes being taken as a given, I couldn't be happier. Nice of it to occur to the CW "hey, maybe we should make that show we could have made at any time over the last few years that will obviously be the highest-rated program on our network by miles".
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    By good network do you mean NBC or CBS, the networks that cancelled Constantine, Flash, and Supergirl after only one season. Obviously ABC is out because Disney owns them and Fox is moving more towards sports and reality programming
    Actually I'm thinking more in the vein of where pretty much all good scripted tv comes from these days: cable networks and streaming services. All the old big three are good for these days are your cop/hospital/lawyer dramas, reality shows, and the very occasional sitcom.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-28-2019 at 12:49 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Hope Routh survives Crisis after all so he can guest as Earth 2 Superman every now and again, maybe advise Hoechlin to switch back to the good suit.

In seriousness: Hoechlin is my favorite Superman actor in a walk, ditto Cryer as Lex, Tulloch was excellent in what little we saw of her as Lois, and while the CW is slapdash as hell in so many ways the shows thus far have profoundly understood their voices. The inevitable wonkiness of plenty of individual episodes being taken as a given, I couldn't be happier. Nice of it to occur to the CW "hey, maybe we should make that show we could have made at any time over the last few years that will obviously be the highest-rated program on our network by miles".
    Routh as a "grandpa" to Jon would be pretty awesome. But unfortunately I think he's probably done with the CW for now. And agree with everything else. Hadn't even occurred to me yet that Cryer could be Lex in this. But that'd be amazing. Hoechlin & Tulloch are great and it will be fantastic to see them developed more. CW shows, like every comic run ever, has episodes or scenes that are pretty wonky or cringy. But they've done a great job overall with Superman so far and this is the best news I've heard in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Do you really look at those scenes of him getting clobbered by Supergirl and admitting he lacks what it takes to finish the job and actually find yourself going "Yep that"s Superman." He's getting a show where the focus is on him being a dad, his cousin already clowned him and he basically had to grovel and admit inferiority.
    There's like one scene they've done that I thought was a bit much, but it is the CW so I expect camp and other oddness. I otherwise have really enjoyed the Hoechlin Superman.

Since Krypton is probably gone for good, I hope CW does what they do best and grabs other network’s discarded Dc assets. Let’s see Superman fight Blake Ritson as Brainiac and Colin Salmon as Zod. I know he was already Walter Steele, but who gives a %#^€?
    Maybe in seasons 2 or 3 bring in that version of Doomsday and do a better adaption of DOS than BVS did.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I would otherwise very much agree with this, even if it was still out of my appeal as simply CW's take on the Lois & Clark show or something. Considering what its going to be though, I genuinely don't think it will be a positive. The more Jon gets exposed, the worse off Superman is in the long-term. I know plenty will disagree but I've seen enough in the comics to believe this with every fiber of my being.
    Dude! I know, you hate jon. But, another superman character that can add to the lore getting erased is not gonna help. Superman has bigger fundamental problems than jon. If they want to acknowledge the real problem. They will have to address the lack of tangible characterisation that sticks, reboots/radically different versions including injustice and existence as mere archetype he has become. Superman is 10 different things to 10 different people. He can't be everything.superdad exist because it atleast gives something easy and tangible that's relatable.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-28-2019 at 12:59 PM.

At this point I do feel his getting erased entirely would be best for the Superman lore. I really do. It has more problems than Jon but he has become by far the biggest in my mind, especially knowing what's coming. I mean in some months time this guy is going to BE Superman. As part of a long-term initiative. I consider that a threat to the real deal. Now you know, maybe it works out entirely different than what's in my head, and it'll turn out I overreacted. And if it does, all I can say is won't be the first time. I'll have a laugh about it and say I was wrong just as I have so many other times. But until I know for sure, I'm hella nervous and consider it a big problem with Jon at the forefront of the current problems.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-28-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It was either this or an animated series. A Superman family series was bound to happen. Personally, i would have liked the animated series.
    Animated definitely would have been better.

I'm not a fan of the network, or how they've written these DC shows (relationship heavy) but there's a market for them. I feel like movie Superman is trapped in no man's land due to a very rough DCEU bungling, WB may be saving face with this show, somewhat or is sending out feelers to see whether or not the public wants another Superman movie. I think the success of the show could fast track another solo movie, far away from the mustache controversy. And with Superman now as a main, it will bring an end to the network's concerted effort to elevate Kara at Clark's expense. For the show to actually succeed, they would have to show Superman in all his glory, no more of that jobbing nonsense he's suffered since the show changed networks.

(facepalm)

This is a spite in the face of Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Zack Snyder and everybody who worked hard in "Man of Steel" and "Batman v Superman". Henry didn't take the crappy deal that Warner Bros offered him to renew his Superman contract, so they are sabotaging him by bringing another Christopher Reeve wankfest to television.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison