Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 460
  1. #46
    Astonishing Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    I'll give you 10 bucks if this ends up better than Smallville.
    This. This so much. It won't. Hoechlin Superman doesn't even fit Superman well. I thought Dean Cain didn't much either, but he's so much better than this guy I actually appreciate Cain more now. Next to Welling and Routh he looks like Olsen..


    Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Do you really look at those scenes of him getting clobbered by Supergirl and admitting he lacks what it takes to finish the job and actually find yourself going "Yep that"s Superman." He's getting a show where the focus is on him being a dad, his cousin already clowned him and he basically had to grovel and admit inferiority.
    Exactly he's not my Superman at all. He's a wimp already.

  2. #47
    Spectacular Member Superbat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    (facepalm) This is a spite in the face of Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Zack Snyder and everybody who worked hard in "Man of Steel" and "Batman v Superman". Henry didn't take the crappy deal that Warner Bros offered him to renew his Superman contract, so they are sabotaging him by bringing another Christopher Reeve wankfest to television.
    This is 100% going to be better than MOS & BvS.

  3. #48
    Incredible Member OpaqueGiraffe17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    749

    Default

    Pretty sure Jon is just going to be a baby/toddler that gets kidnapped by a supervillain once or twice per season. And Clark and Lois will be the main focus, hence the title. But even if he's Superboy age somehow, Black Lightning does a good job balancing Jeff and his kids. I’m not particularly worried about that aspect.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 10-28-2019 at 06:14 PM.

  4. #49
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Actually I'm thinking more in the vein of where pretty much all good scripted tv comes from these days: cable networks and streaming services. All the old big three are good for these days are your cop/hospital/lawyer dramas, reality shows, and the very occasional sitcom.
    Even less people watch the cable networks than the CW. So if the knock on the CW is nobody watches it, a Superman show would get even less eyes on a cable channel.
    Last season Supergirl averaged 1.2 million viewers and a 0.35 share while Krypton had 0.41 million viewers and a 0.11 share. Even on HBO Watchmen gets less viewers than
    Supergirl. WM - 0.79 million, SG - 1.04 million. And I suspect a Superman show will get more viewers than Supergirl.

  5. #50
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,939

    Default

    Not interested in the CW, so going to pass.

    But to look at it from an optimistic point of view:

    1) It's Superman something, better than Superman-sans-Superman show ideas that've been popping up
    2) It's not the same-old Superman story (young Superman, origin, etc.)
    3) Maybe they will try to fix the missteps they had earlier in this Superman's continuity

    And that's about it for me.

  6. #51
    Astonishing Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Pretty sure Jon is just going to be a baby/toddler that gets kidnapped by a supervillain once or twice per season. Pretty sure Clark and Lois will be the main focus. And even if he’s older somehow, Black Lightning does a good job balancing Jeff and his kids. I’m not particularly worried about that aspect.
    I'm sure Jon will grow up somehow and be an older kid around 8 y o.

  7. #52
    Incredible Member OpaqueGiraffe17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    749

    Default

    Friendly reminder that in Smallville, Kara was also more powerful than Kal. She even learned to fly way before he did. Not saying I like it, just being fair here.

  8. #53
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    45,581

    Default

    Well, the reaction on this forum is about what I expected .

    In all seriousness, I think this show will allow Hoechlin's Superman to shine in a way he hasn't in the past now that he doesn't have to be used as a supporting character to Kara. Even the parent deal won't get in the way of the fact that he's the main character in my opinion. And Jon might be at an age where they can't do very much with him unless they time skip to him being a teenager.

    I do wonder what they will do with it beyond "Lois and Clark tackle a case/parent issue of the week" since Supergirl has already established several iconic Superman villains (including Lex). Will they be able to differentiate enough from Kara's show? I guess they can re-establish Zod, they haven't done anything with Brainaic yet, and maybe Mongul?

    It's a shame they can't reboot Jimmy for this, but I guess we'll finally get to see Arrowverse Perry White? I'm curious what the supporting cast might look like.

    I wonder if they'd eventually do a season adapting Death/Reign.

  9. #54
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, the reaction on this forum is about what I expected .

    In all seriousness, I think this show will allow Hoechlin's Superman to shine in a way he hasn't in the past now that he doesn't have to be used as a supporting character to Kara. Even the parent deal won't get in the way of the fact that he's the main character in my opinion. And Jon might be at an age where they can't do very much with him unless they time skip to him being a teenager.

    I do wonder what they will do with it beyond "Lois and Clark tackle a case/parent issue of the week" since Supergirl has already established several iconic Superman villains (including Lex). Will they be able to differentiate enough from Kara's show? I guess they can re-establish Zod, they haven't done anything with Brainaic yet, and maybe Mongul?

    It's a shame they can't reboot Jimmy for this, but I guess we'll finally get to see Arrowverse Perry White? I'm curious what the supporting cast might look like.

    I wonder if they'd eventually do a season adapting Death/Reign.
    Yeah, villains will be tough since "Supergirl" not only took a lot of them, but established that Kara's the first to fight a lot of them (off the top of my head, Parasite, Metallo, any version of Bizarro, Mxy, and Livewire all had their first appearances in-universe in Supergirl.

  10. #55
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    3,971

    Default

    I'm willing to give this a chance. Without Kara they will have to actually write for him instead of around him. So his portrayal will certainly be better just by default. In terms of what this means for the rest of the Not-Arrow-verse anymore, IDK. Without knowing exactly how COIE ends, we can't determine that. Right now, I'm more worried they'll kill off the Smallville-verse. If this "5G" or whatever actually plans to replace Superman with Jon in the comics, then this may be the only Superman we get for a while. In terms of the DCEU, I have to say, it honestly looks to me like they are trying to find some way to either phase it out altogether or at least dramatically change it. If WW84 really is a soft reboot, the Cavill Superman may not exist after next year anyway. The Twilight Batman looks to be it's own universe. So clearly with the movies they're moving on anyway. People have been asking for this. And I think it's only fair to judge it on it's own merits. It could suck, who knows. It could be the most traditional version of Superman since the 1950s. We won't know until it comes out. I'm looking forward to it and think they'll do a much better job on his own show then they did on Supergirl. Because at least he's not competing with her now.
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

  11. #56
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    I imagine they will rewrite the universe just a bit, it won't be a full on continuation of what we've seen before, at least i hope, which will help where his villains are concerned.

  12. #57
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    At this point I do feel his getting erased entirely would be best for the Superman lore. I really do. It has more problems than Jon but he has become by far the biggest in my mind, especially knowing what's coming. I mean in some months this guy is going to BE Superman. As part of a long-term initiative. I consider that a threat to the real deal. Now you know, maybe it works out entirely different than what's in my head, and it'll turn out I overreacted. And if it does, all I can say is won't be the first time. I'll have a laugh about it and say I was wrong just as I have so many other times. But until I know for sure, I'm hella nervous and consider it a big problem with Jon at the forefront of the current problems.
    Look as far as i am concerned. I don't feel like i am reading the book about "the man of tomorrow" or "champion of the oppressed" or even byrne farmboy which also had a vision. If i get any of the feels from reading jon kent superman like the above. Then i don't care. I want a superman that embodies one strict characterisation and direction . Bendis is clearly trying to recreate a man of tomorrow today. If jon has characterisation of man of tomorrow. Then he is superman for me. I am sorry, but clark kent currently is a shell an echo of the past. An Amalgamated mess. A character that is used by different writers to throw their leanings on to. I started feeling this after bendis took superdad out of the equation . With jon atleast i know a dreamer is being created. It's not a vacuum like clark is.i am sorry, but that is just the way i feel.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-28-2019 at 01:31 PM.

  13. #58
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    45,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I imagine they will rewrite the universe just a bit, it won't be a full on continuation of what we've seen before, at least i hope, which will help where his villains are concerned.
    Oh hey, this is probably going to be set after Crisis so they can probably alter continuity a bit once the worlds merge. Maybe to the point where they can believably recast people.

  14. #59
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,715

    Default

    From Hoechlin's instagram:

    "I could not be more grateful for the opportunity to tell this story, that for now shall remain a secret. But I’ve been blessed with nothing less than the most wonderful people to do it alongside of. I couldn’t ask for a better partner than Bitsie Tulloch in all of this. I’ve already learned so much from her and I know that won’t stop anytime soon. So thank you Greg Berlanti and everyone else who brought her in as our Lois Lane. All the people behind the scenes care so much about these characters and their lives and the parts to which we’ll be speaking about, it gives me great comfort to know that they’ll steer us in the right direction. Thank you to everyone that said “yes” to this project (Warner Brothers, DC, CW). We won’t let you down. It’s going to be a grand adventure. Can’t wait to get to work!"
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

  15. #60
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    45,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    From Hoechlin's instagram:

    "I could not be more grateful for the opportunity to tell this story, that for now shall remain a secret. But I’ve been blessed with nothing less than the most wonderful people to do it alongside of. I couldn’t ask for a better partner than Bitsie Tulloch in all of this. I’ve already learned so much from her and I know that won’t stop anytime soon. So thank you Greg Berlanti and everyone else who brought her in as our Lois Lane. All the people behind the scenes care so much about these characters and their lives and the parts to which we’ll be speaking about, it gives me great comfort to know that they’ll steer us in the right direction. Thank you to everyone that said “yes” to this project (Warner Brothers, DC, CW). We won’t let you down. It’s going to be a grand adventure. Can’t wait to get to work!"
    Don't forget the "up, up!" at the end there .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •