Page 63 of 149 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    CW shows ARE soap operas. That's just how the channel rolls. That was true of Smallville and it is true of pretty much all of the Arrow-verse shows. That's the trade off we get for a Superman show. This was my concern when this was announced and I read the leaked script. It's going to be mostly teen drama with some Superman stuff thrown in.
    Most Superhero stories are soap operas.

Since the advent of keeping a continuity all comics are essentially soap operas. It's all serialized fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think there has been a live action superhero show on TV that wasn't a soap opera since after Wonder Woman. I think Wonder Woman was the last one where there was no romance going on between scenes of super-heroics.
    Wonder Woman was strictly kicking the butt of the villain of the week. Steve Trevor was never ever a romantic interest The next noteworthy superhero show was Lois and Clark and obviously Lois and Clark was all about romance.
    Smallville was pretty much Clark and Lana and then Clark and Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I don't think there has been a live action superhero show on TV that wasn't a soap opera since after Wonder Woman. I think Wonder Woman was the last one where there was no romance going on between scenes of super-heroics.
    Wonder Woman was strictly kicking the butt of the villain of the week. Steve Trevor was never ever a romantic interest The next noteworthy superhero show was Lois and Clark and obviously Lois and Clark was all about romance.
    Smallville was pretty much Clark and Lana and then Clark and Lois.
    90's Flash wasn't too bad. There was always some chemistry between Barry and Tina, but it didn't really go anywhere. I'm sure it would have kicked up a few notches in season 2... but we'll never know :-/

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    90's Flash wasn't too bad. There was always some chemistry between Barry and Tina, but it didn't really go anywhere. I'm sure it would have kicked up a few notches in season 2... but we'll never know :-/
    there was it's fair share of some love triangle stuff in that one two, especially when that trickster girl was in it, (the one that wasn't crazy.) It was nice to hear that he eventually ended up with Tina though, even if they're both dead now.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but CW tends to go a bit overboard with that sort of thing.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I guess I don't really understand what people expect here or want? It's an action drama like all the other shows. This one looks like it's closest analogue is going to be Black Lightening, with the focus on the family dynamics. There's like 3 action scenes in pilot script, two involving Superman and one a fight with the super villian, so I mean, what exactly is the complaint?
    Lets hope Superman moves more the plot than Jefferson does, because in Black Lightning he just goes along. I remember that in season 2 both his daughters ans his wife had their on plot, while Jefferson thing was to worry about them.
    I can see Superman having the same role, the boys and Lois actually doing stuff, and Clark showing up to help tem eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Yeah, but CW tends to go a bit overboard with that sort of thing.
    They definitely do. There is a difference between drama and melodrama. Soaps are melodrama, and I think Superman is much more than that. It's called Action Comics and Adventures of Superman for a reason. It wasn't called The Loves of Superman lol. Teen angst just sucks. It sucked in Smallville with Clana. It nearly ruined the show. Lois and Clark was all about their romance. And I like romance, but in superhero shows I want more than that, I want a good story and plot, suspense, a good villain and some adventure and action. This is why a Superman show will never be as good as Star Trek shows.

I'll probably watch the the first 2 episodes, but I'm not excited yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://twitter.com/deadline/status/...444201984?s=21
    After years of people thinking DCAU Lex was black, we’re finally getting a black Lex. Gotta admit I was disappointed that the first season Big Bad was yet again Lex, but this is intriguing.
    There's nothing in there about Lex Luthor, let alone a Black Lex.

All it says is that Wole Parks will be playing an antagonist called The Stranger.

Is there some other link that purports that The Stranger is actually Luthor?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    They definitely do. There is a difference between drama and melodrama. Soaps are melodrama, and I think Superman is much more than that. It's called Action Comics and Adventures of Superman for a reason. It wasn't called The Loves of Superman lol. Teen angst just sucks. It sucked in Smallville with Clana. It nearly ruined the show. Lois and Clark was all about their romance. And I like romance, but in superhero shows I want more than that, I want a good story and plot, suspense, a good villain and some adventure and action. This is why a Superman show will never be as good as Star Trek shows.

Based on the leaked script, the show appears to be as much, if not more, about his sons than about him. So I wonder how much screen time he'll actually get.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post

I mean, the CW shows have relationship drama, but I feel like we still get plenty of those aspects as well.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The majority of superhero joints are pulp action/adventure.
    The soap opera thing is just due to low budget.

I REALLY wish the CW would just own their quality and write for it. Do super campy fun stuff. Pow, wam, bam. Lots of colours. I'd be so into that. Stop trying to be what it isn't.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-16-2020 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

I REALLY wish the CW would just own their quality and write for it. Do super campy fun stuff. Pow, wam, bam. Lots of colours. I'd be so into that. Stop trying to be what it isn't.
    Maybe to a certain extent in older eras, but for the most part there is a lot more drama and relationship friction in comics now.

The Flash
    doesn't have a lot of camp and color?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

You don’t think they already do? These shows don’t exactly hide their camp and their self awareness.

I don't understand where this idea that it's going to be "romance" or a "teen" show comes from. If you're just being pessimistic, fine I guess, but it's kind of ignoring the actual evidence we have. I highly doubt its going to be Smallville 2.0 or Super Sons with Lois & Clark becoming Ma and Pa Kent level characters. But, it's focus is on the family. So it's going to include all four of them. In the Pilot, Clark has plenty of scenes and action to himself, most of anyone if I'm recalling correctly. The boys got a few scenes and action themselves, and they establish their plot with Lana's daughter. Comparatively the only one who got shortchanged in that pilot script was Lois, who I don't recall having the kind of solo focus the way Clark and the boys did. The teen drama aspect also was pretty balanced compared to the rest of the show, in what is likely a two episode premiere the boy got two big scenes to themselves. They also clearly set up plot lines they are going to follow with the general degradation of Smallville and Morgan Edge, and the Stranger storyline. The boys storylines are likely to spin off of that as opposed to Smallville like freak of the week in the high school.

Plus a big factor is the budget and the special effects. Shows from two+ decades ago were always going to have skimpier action than modern shows. While those constraints still exist to a certain extent, the CW shows have been able to do a lot with what they have. The shows with smaller runs, like the 13 episode one this is supposed to have, tend to be able to do more with it. We have a pilot script and we have a 9 years worth of CW shows to set a baseline that should alleviate some of the concerns.
    Last edited by Yoda; 05-16-2020 at 09:11 AM.