Page 90 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 2229
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    i find the hero/villain thing to be nonesense.Forgive me,but I have never felt tension that superman is gonna die when he takes on these fellows.Blame the medium.Anyways,he does take on boxed in bad guys.but,standing upto his friends.i have never seen him do that much.You know like Neville Longbottom.Other than the time he trained with mongul.I have never seen clark prep or learn or grow in that regard either.
    There are villain/hero narratives in most fiction, including manga/anime. It's super-hero comics, that's the right vernacular. can we get examples and why is this being restricted to comics? What about fight scenes from Superman that you do like? What's a "boxed in bad guy"? Most super-heroes don't. It's a common theme in media that Clark studies Kryptonian culture, technology and other civilisations in his Fortress and he sometimes visits Kandar and other worlds. He's also been ambitious as a journalist by switching to an anchor and winning a Pulitzer. What's funny about the Neville comparison is that Neville was the other person in line to be the next "Harry Potter," and would have been the chosen one under the right circumstances and he levelled up later in the book leading a rebellion against the Death Eaters in Hogwarts, and taking over drawing the Death Eaters ire when Harry died.

i am offended by the notion perpetuted that "being at ease with losing is cool".I hate losing.I do ofcourse.But,normally i imagine nobody likes losing.even if it is to a friend or foe.
    I find the other mentality in general stupid.what's wrong in being a conservative?Superman might not be conservative.But,he was never about treating people with different opinions as monsters or something.Ofcourse,he would disagree with action that cause suffering on any side be it with actions or words.one of superman's earliest villains is the "archer".A robinhood figure gone bad.
    Everyone hates losing, but people understand it's not personal when it's just for fun or among friends. Superman also being perfect at everything that makes him super boring, and drains any tension out of conflict he's in. Why is in danger if he has all the answers and his powers dominate every fight? What other mentality? The point was that Superman wasn't conservative, nobody said anything about conservatism itself. Superman will argue with people he finds have bad ideologies, Lex Luthor for example. What does the Archer have anything to do this discussion? It's not like super-heroes can't fight super-villains which they have sympathy for with ideology. Take the X-men, they're sympathy to Magneto - what they despise is his tactics.

Huh. Having the Kents be a race other than Clark is an interesting idea, but not one I’m sure you could do with a more “mainstream” take. Definitely curious how she would’ve utilized that though, although I think both Kents will be dead by the time the show starts iirc.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Y'know, the retconning of Lois & Clark having teenage kids kinda makes Supergirl's backstory a little weird. If Superman & Lois have been married with kids for this long, then why did Clark send 13 year old Kara to the Danvers family? Why not just adopt her into his own family? Kara was sent to Earth to take care of her infant cousin afterall. Why not keep Kara closer and have her help take care of her cousin's infant twins?

Or does the timeline not match up?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Huh. Having the Kents be a race other than Clark is an interesting idea, but not one I’m sure you could do with a more “mainstream” take. Definitely curious how she would’ve utilized that though, although I think both Kents will be dead by the time the show starts iirc.
    I mean, I understand the push for diversity, but at the end of the day the Kents are rural farmers in Kansas and don't seem like they'll be a major part of the show aside from in spirit, so I'm not sure how much it would've mattered at the end of the day.

Plus they already had a white boy raised by POC with Barry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Y'know, the retconning of Lois & Clark having teenage kids kinda makes Supergirl's backstory a little weird. If Superman & Lois have been married with kids for this long, then why did Clark send 13 year old Kara to the Danvers family? Why not just adopt her into his own family? Kara was sent to Earth to take care of her infant cousin afterall. Why not keep Kara closer and have her help take care of her cousin's infant twins?

I'm not sure of the exact in-universe ages of the kids, but Clark and Lois might not have been married with kids when Kara first arrived (she was, like, 13 when she landed on Earth? I don't think she became Supergirl until she was 24-25).

With Crisis things are all screwy because now the kids have doubled and grown compared to just baby Jon Pre-Crisis, so maybe things were a little different, but Clark and Kara have their Pre-Crisis memories so it probably doesn't matter.

Because Clark is a dick and it would’ve inconvenienced him too much

Least he didn’t dump her in an orphanage

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

If you've ever read Many Happy Returns, they go into how ridiculous dumping a super powered stranger into an orphanage is.
    Assassinate Putin!

"hey Lois you'll never believe what just happened, i found another escape pod from krypton! it's my long lost cousin!"
    "wow Clark, thats great I'm happy for you"
    "what are you insane? do you have any idea how much work it would take to raise and train a kid with kryptonian powers? I don't have time for that. Thankfully I called in a favor from that Danvers family and its out of my hands"
    "jeez Smallville, I don't know why you're acting so weird about this"
    "no you're the one acting weird about this, since when do you have 3 heartbeats? .....oh no"

Spectacular Member

Why go through the trouble of "diversity" if both Kents are dead?!?!?!? Fired lol.

Astonishing Member

Reading old comics is surreal. It’s kinda weird how people like to see him as a Boy Scout (unless this is how Boy Scouts actually acted back then...).

Maybe they couldn't afford to raise another teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Reading old comics is surreal. It’s kinda weird how people like to see him as a Boy Scout (unless this is how Boy Scouts actually acted back then...).
    Every version of Superman has flaws. Some deliberately, others unintentionally.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Definitely. As much as I was creeped out by Loeb & Turner's jailbait version of Kara Zor-El, at least they had Clark actively want to be a part of her life and the idea of having her trained in her powers by WW and the Amazons was an inspired one, even if it was clearly just another excuse for cheesecake art for their middle-aged male readership.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    The Boy Scout imagery comes moreso from George Reeves and Christopher Reeve than anything the comics did (although Chris Reeve Superman himself was pretty manipulative, go watch that interview between him and Lois, he’s toying with her the whole time and having a blast doing so lmao).

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Pretty much half the show never happened now. Even not taking this into account. For all intents and purposes, COIE retconned most of Supergirl.
    Assassinate Putin!