Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Also, is RL time different then in-game time as far as him talking about "lifetimes" to get there at 30 points starting? How much longer would starting at the base 30 have made the game take to get to the level you described?
    Negligibly longer. Game lasted for 3 years in real life and a little bit more. They were getting enough xp to build their characters up with that it wouldn't have mattered, I just gave em the points so they could feel a bit more polished/splurge on non cost effective stuff without feeling like they missed out on something.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Negligibly longer. Game lasted for 3 years in real life and a little bit more. They were getting enough xp to build their characters up with that it wouldn't have mattered, I just gave em the points so they could feel a bit more polished/splurge on non cost effective stuff without feeling like they missed out on something.
    Yeah, I tried to edit out as the conversation had already clearly advanced past where I last had the forum loaded haha and you had already sorta answered. Thanks for clarifying though.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Stuff can go that way in games, depending on how often one plays. I ran a White Wolf game where I started everyone off with a whopping 10 exp extra to allow a little more customization, rounding out, whatever.

We then played, on average, about once a week, every week, for three years, then about once a week two out of every three weeks for another two years.

...that's a freakish amount of experience points, just based on the 'automatic experience points per game session' thing the rules note. It was a World of Darkness game, and that works out to be...

*calculates*

225 experience points, not COUNTING any possible rp bonuses, ideas, 'finish that story', etc. ie, absolute bare minimum for a player who showed up, did crap RP, never finished a story, never did anything of note, etc...would have been 225 exp.

The 10 experience points I gave them at the start kind of fades into the background.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

We did once a week and I had a good player group, so they tended to get the other rewards at extremely regular clip, and there was also the finish a story arc bonuses and etc. yeah.

By end of year three they had something like.. this was a while ago.. 850 xp? Something like that.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 10-30-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    We did once a week and I had a good player group, so they tended to get the other rewards at extremely regular clip, and there was also the finish a story arc bonuses and etc. yeah.

By end of year three they had something like.. this was a while ago.. 850 xp? Something like that.
    So, like, 5 a session? That's a very generous ST.

Eh, I've found in my experience most people give 4 per session when running Aberrant anyway, it's part of where Exalted's "We are now formally saying 4 per session is default" came from, for that Exalted as its very basic mechanics used Aberrant's version of Storyteller and that it was an already growing trend. (3 per session was popular for vampire for instance. White wolf's official online chat rpg thing, New Bremen, more or less awarded 3/week. Technically speaking 3.5 for how the chat system added it to sheets)

Once that happened, 4 per session became pretty standard in a bunch of things.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 10-30-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Well, Aberrant is really good at absolutely inhaling your XP. There is so much customization that, in a game where I'm at 91XP, I haven't even come close to getting everything I want. I did the math and I'll be up there at 300XP plus before I've completed my character. And that's despite that I have a concept that means that I will never want to buy any of the more exotic abilities.

Oh, at least as far as 1e, there's always something else that catches the eye to purchase and yet still feels in shtick to get. I liked that about the game though, it never felt like your character basically dead ended at some point.