Page 23 of 103 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    So is that superhero school thing a reference to something in the comics? It rings a bell somewhere
    X-Men had a whole thing about being a school for mutants (teens with super powers). There was also Superhero High Disney Original Movie.

As much as I liked Clark using his super breath to put out the fire, why was he there as Clark? Would Superman showing up be too much of a red flag? And- ski mask guy?

Incredible Member

Is there a place where I can read recaps of past episodes? I specifically want to know about the dead Kryptonians resurrecting? The guy that Superman fought in the last episode. How is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    Is there a place where I can read recaps of past episodes? I specifically want to know about the dead Kryptonians resurrecting? The guy that Superman fought in the last episode. How is that possible?
    It was implied that he was a human corpse that was brought back through intense exposure to a special kind of Kryptonite. Which also gave him his powers. Looks to be taking a page out of the last bits of New52 Superman arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    X-Men had a whole thing about being a school for mutants (teens with super powers). There was also Superhero High Disney Original Movie.
    I hope this leads to the CW version of Gen 13.
    Captain Luthor seems to know a lot about Kal-el, but not Clark Kent.
    Did General Lane, send that boy after Jordan?

2 months after this cliffhanger? Laaame.

But the episode was cool as always.

I'm not trying to sound pessimistic at all, but I think it's incredible we got such a strong string of episodes. I thought for sure something was going to go downhill. It's going to be so hard waiting for this show to come back because I want more!

So after the death of Pa Kent, we see a bit more of the dynamic between Teen Clark and Martha. This episode gave a lot more weight to the scene in the pilot where Superman remarks that his mother made his costume for him. It wasn't easy for her to accept, but Martha did come to terms with Clark being a hero and having to share him with the world. I also liked how the flashbacks showed why Clark gave Jonathan a free pass for his drinking. Poor kid could use a break, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    That was an interesting bit considering his Lois was much like our Lois. I'm guessing his world was messed up because it has something to do with having a Superman but that Superman not having a Clark Kent.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    I hope this leads to the CW version of Gen 13.
    Did General Lane, send that boy after Jordan?
    The original Gen 13 had a lot of what the CW seems to like...

Arrow

My friend reviews the first five episodes of Super-Man and Lois giving his thoughts about the series thus far -

If so inclined, please give him a watch, thanks.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Legacies tv series on CW is also about a school of supernatural kids n teens.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    As much as I liked Clark using his super breath to put out the fire, why was he there as Clark? Would Superman showing up be too much of a red flag? And- ski mask guy?
    I guess that's better than the "red/blue blur?"

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    That was an interesting bit considering his Lois was much like our Lois. I'm guessing his world was messed up because it has something to do with having a Superman but that Superman not having a Clark Kent.
    It does appear his Kal-El didn't have the things that made Clark Superman - no Lois, maybe no Clark Kent identity and maybe no Kents at all in his life? Considering this show is about L&C raising kids, it wouldn't be surprising that the old "nature v nurture" aspect of Superman's mythos is explored here. Also interesting is the idea that Luthor will always stand in opposition to Superman, so on our earth Superman is heroic, so Luthor becomes evil. On a world where Kal-el is evil, Luthor is good. (or at least maybe just seen as good)

Some takeaways from #SupermanAndLois season 1 episode 5 (spoilers)
    1. It finally happened: Jonathan snapped.

And it's about time. Nobody, especially not a teenager, could take all the compounding Ls the kid did for 5 episodes (moving to a new city, losing all his old friends, getting benched, watching his brother steal his football thunder, not having any powers, getting dumped, etc) and NOT act out in some way.

And he acted out in the most teenage way possible, by getting caught drunk in public.

But it should be noted once he ruined Jordan's night with Sara at the Harvest Festival, Jonathan immediately (tho still too late) recognized his mistake and apologized. This was his highlight episode so far, and badly needed.

2. Martha!

Too often in Superverse lore, the fathers get too much of the credit for Clark/Kal.

With his Kryptonian parents, it's a complete blowout: Jor-El alone referred to by Kal 100 times before his mother Lara Lor-Van gets any unique mention.

It's a little better with his Terrestrial parents, as Martha (maiden name Clark) Kent typically outlives Jonathan Kent Senior anywhere from a few seconds to a few decades. But she is primarily only a source of comfort and not a source of wisdom as her often-late husband gets to be.

This episode she got to be both. Hope we get more of her in flashbacks set a little closer to the present. Glad she got a bench.

3. Clark and Lois' best episode yet as parents.

I don't want to imagine what would happened to me if my folks had managed to catch me underage-drinking in high school while in public to boot. Safe bet they wouldn't have handled it as nicely as Clark and Lois did.

They're not easy pushovers but they're not strict disciplinarians either. They can get righteously angry but realize in the moment there is more to gain by not bringing down the hammer.

He even offers Jonathan a potential way back to Metropolis if he gives Smallville a honest chance.

I thought Clark in particular meted out parental justice extremely well, considering ...

4. Young Clark was a selfish jerk.

This. More of this.

Clark is good, but he is not, was not, and never should be a saint. He has messed up. Constantly. And this episode showed that he had learned from those past screw-ups and didn't repeat the cycle.

5. Nighttime Superman!

This still takes some getting used to. I've never seen Superman operate under the shadow of darkness like this before. It's about as weird as seeing Batman in broad daylight. The setting goes against the brand.

But unlike Ol' Pointy Ears, Clark can act in full power, day or night. Loved the night chase, with Clark putting out fires at superspeed, and flying thru cornfields. Reminded me of both MAN OF STEEL and SUPERMAN IV (in a good way).

6. Tyler Hoechlin takes the championship belt.

Christopher Reeve is still untouchable as my favorite Live-Action (costumed) Superman.

But Live-Action Clark Kent? That's all Tyler Hoechlin's spot now.

Of the 14 men so far who have played the role over the last 80+ years, he is already hands-down the most likeable and relatable and adorkable Clark Kent ever.

7. Captain Luthor is a smooth criminal.

I was impressed that this Luthor was able to connect with Lois so naturally.

And then we see why: on his Earth, he was married to Lois, who was killed by his evil Superman. Got to be a gut-punch to see any version of your spouse happily married to someone else.

I'm more convinced now that Captain Luthor is actually much more a misguided hero than a villain, and won't be the season's big bad at all. He's definitely one to watch.

8. Clark Kent the Journalist no longer matters.

Not really about this episode, but between 1) this show having him laid off to become an assistant HS coach and 2) the DCEU Clark Kent officially killed off at the same time Superman died and 3) Clark revealing his identity to the world and universe in the current comix.

It's never been more clear than Clark doesn't need to be a reporter or in the news media at all. Lois Lane absolutely has to, but not Clark.

9. The Langs are still there, but not useless. Kyle is ultimately a good dude (firefighter who does actively risk his life to save others) with a very punchable face and a drinking problem.

Sara put drunk-ass Jonathan right in his place (her best scene in the series, so far , by far).

Lana is ... good for exposition, I guess. Still not feeling her character.

10. Freaks of the Week.

Superman doesn't necessarily need someone to hit every night. But it sure helps what when he does, they are not disposable freaks of the Week that the old show SMALLVILLE got saddled with.

Hopefully, SAL gets access to the real Superman rogues gallery like Lex Luthor, Brainiac, Zod/Faora, Doomsday, Mongul, Metallo, Bizarro, Lady Blaze, Maxima, Mxyzptlk, Parasite, etc.

Next week: Nothing ��. On hiatus till May.

Grade: 8/10.

Extraordinary Member

Update.
    SUPERMAN & LOIS: SEASON 1 (2021)
    TOMATOMETER
    87%
    AUDIENCE SCORE
    66%

The audience score was much higher the last time check 1 or 2 weeks ago but for some reason/s the score went down alot.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I'm more convinced now that Captain Luthor is actually much more a misguided hero than a villain, and won't be the season's big bad at all. He's definitely one to watch.
    We'll see where his story goes, but at the moment I'd love to see him and Earth-Prime Lex team up next season.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Update.
    SUPERMAN & LOIS: SEASON 1 (2021)
    TOMATOMETER
    87%
    AUDIENCE SCORE
    66%

The audience score was much higher the last time check 1 or 2 weeks ago but for some reason/s the score went down alot.
    To be fair, no matter what people think of professional critics, they tend to not review bomb something for no reason other than being whingey fanboys. I prefer Metacritic in general, as it is more representative of what critics think, and ignore the hell out of audience scores for major franchises.

Also, really been enjoying this series so far. I like how different it is from the other shows - though I would still have loved a Supergirl crossover or at least some references to the fact that Clark has a Super cousin out there.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.