Page 16 of 103 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I honestly didn't know what to make of this show, so maybe I just had low expectations going in, but wow, that was really good. I guess so as to not be Smallville or even Supergirl, they made their main character more mature and gave him kids. Granted, the kids can still have their drama thing, but even the score didn't seem to want to come across as hip or modern at all.

So Jonathan is named after Jonathan Kent and Jordan is named after Jor-El. I wonder if his middle name is "Ellis"? I kind of figured there was going to be some sort of twist when they weren't sure who saved whom in the barn, but I thought maybe the powers were going to be split between the two boys. Interesting that Sam Lane knows the truth about Superman but Lana doesn't. Why isn't Lana married to Pete Ross? Oh, right, so her husband can be a total jerk.

Speaking of Sam, I guess we can forget everything from the Sam we saw on Supergirl. I was expecting Kara to make a few brief cameo or something to wish the Kents luck and kind of pass the torch, but I guess not. It's probably for the best that there were no direct connections to the Arrowverse in the first episode. And getting rid of the Daily Planet frees us from any weird Post-Crisis timeline/age stuff when it comes to Perry, Cat, and Jimmy. Although if any already established Arrowverse character shows up on this show, I'm pulling for Mr. Mxyzptlk.

It may not be the brightest idea, but maybe Clark didn't want to keep all his Kryptonian artifacts in one place. If something happens to the Fortress, everything would be gone.

That probably wouldn't work long-term if Jonathan's girlfriend wants to come over...or even if he needs to list a home phone number/address for anything. I assume with money being an issue, they can't keep their place in Metropolis.

Let's assume that when Clark flew to show Lois, she took it very well and was completely understanding and sympathetic.
    I’m wondering if we’re ever going to see jimmy or perry on this show. And is Lois telecommuting now? I was also a little surprised to see Superman’s rocket still being hidden under the barn like that. What would they do with it if they hadn’t decided to move back to smallville?
    Last edited by protege; 02-25-2021 at 07:40 PM.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

I have said many times about how tired I am of Superman/Batman movies, TV shows but of course, is the DC cash cow, so we must endure them. So I went into this show with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I wondered how they would challenge Superman and you do that by giving him problems he can't just punch, like family loss, job loss, struggling kids...it felt like real stuff (yes as real as you can get in a show about a dude who flies around in his underwear)...I was hoping we would not get multiple episodes of emo dramatic kids mad because their dad missed a play when he was saving the world...though I think as happy a note as the episode ended on there will be some bumps as it goes.

Seems like a lot of budget went into this episode so I am curious as to the quality of the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I honestly didn't know what to make of this show, so maybe I just had low expectations going in, but wow, that was really good. I guess so as to not be Smallville or even Supergirl, they made their main character more mature and gave him kids. Granted, the kids can still have their drama thing, but even the score didn't seem to want to come across as hip or modern at all.
    There's Black Lightning, which might be the closest template to this show. I don't get a typical "CW" vibe from that show either. The setting and its related issues make it different enough from "S&L" even if it seems they're both going to do the same thing in terms of exploring the modern issues dealing with their respective communities. Since it's "BL's" last season it's highly unlikely, but I would love to see a crossover with Clark and Jefferson and their kids where it's all about these two super-dads dealing with their super kids.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-25-2021 at 10:00 AM.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    There's Black Lightning, which might be the closest template to this show. I don't get a typical "CW" vibe from that show either. The setting and its related issues make it different enough from "S&L" even if it seems they're both going to do the same thing in terms of exploring the modern issues dealing with their respective communities. Since it's "BL's" last season it's highly unlikely, but I would love to see a crossover with Clark and Jefferson and their kids where it's all about these two super-dads dealing with their super kids.
    That's what I liked about it. While Black Lightning and Superman & Lois both deal with the hero with a family, but they still different as can be coming from the black life perspective and the white one.

Every Arrowverse show should have provide a distinct niche that makes them just a bit different from the others.

So something I definitely noticed while watching is that they have started changing design elements that had been introduced in Supergirl. Clark's pod (which we actually saw on Supergirl) is completely different, and of course the heat vision is now (FINALLY!) red. It makes me wonder what other things they will be changing, and if these changes will also make it into Supergirl's final season.

While Jordan grated on me at times, I actually ended up liking both kids overall. Jonathan reminds me of a young Scott Caan, and I like the brotherly relationship they have.

It's weird to have a General Lane who is a fan of Superman, and who seems to have a better relationship with Clark than with Lois.

I admit that I fast forwarded through the bonfire stuff, but man those Smallville kids are bloodthirsty.

I am... disappointed that the big bad appears to be a Luthor. He's not bad; I'm just tired of the villain of a Superman story having to be a Luthor. He was already a villain in the first and forth Reeves movie (and it van be argued that the rich industrialist in the third was a Luthor stand-in), Superman Returns, and a villain in Batman v Superman. And he's been the overall big-bad in the last two seasons of Supergirl. Couldn't they pick someone else from his rogue's gallery, like Brainiac (I know he was on Krypton, but that was against Kal's grandfather, not Kal himself).

The series really takes full advantage of taking place Post-Crisis. I wonder what other characters we're gonna see re-imagined after General Lane and Morgan Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I am... disappointed that the big bad appears to be a Luthor. He's not bad; I'm just tired of the villain of a Superman story having to be a Luthor. He was already a villain in the first and forth Reeves movie (and it van be argued that the rich industrialist in the third was a Luthor stand-in), Superman Returns, and a villain in Batman v Superman. And he's been the overall big-bad in the last two seasons of Supergirl. Couldn't they pick someone else from his rogue's gallery, like Brainiac (I know he was on Krypton, but that was against Kal's grandfather, not Kal himself).
    I just don't see the point of Superman fighting a Luthor that's not his actual Luthor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    The series really takes full advantage of taking place Post-Crisis. I wonder what other characters we're gonna see re-imagined after General Lane and Morgan Edge.
    Lucy Lane, probably?

Conduit and Bloodsport would be cool. I wouldn't mind Lex if it was like Imperious Lex.

So something I definitely noticed while watching is that they have started changing design elements that had been introduced in Supergirl. Clark's pod (which we actually saw on Supergirl) is completely different, and of course the heat vision is now (FINALLY!) red. It makes me wonder what other things they will be changing, and if these changes will also make it into Supergirl's final season.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Fortress looks completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Fortress looks completely different.
    I think we're supposed to go to the Fortress next episode.

I would like to see a new Lucy, if only because she should have been Co-Director of the DEO and she just vanished.

Also- did the CW renew this show already for Season 2? Every other show got renewed, but I was reading a list earlier today and I didn't see this show on it.

I just want to say, great introductory episode 4 out of 5 stars (I'd have gone five full stars but the pacing dragged a bit for me in the middle).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I think we're supposed to go to the Fortress next episode.

I would like to see a new Lucy, if only because she should have been Co-Director of the DEO and she just vanished.

Also- did the CW renew this show already for Season 2? Every other show got renewed, but I was reading a list earlier today and I didn't see this show on it.
    I think with the ratings the premier got, season 2 is a certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    I have said many times about how tired I am of Superman/Batman movies, TV shows but of course, is the DC cash cow, so we must endure them. So I went into this show with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I wondered how they would challenge Superman and you do that by giving him problems he can't just punch, like family loss, job loss, struggling kids...it felt like real stuff (yes as real as you can get in a show about a dude who flies around in his underwear)...I was hoping we would not get multiple episodes of emo dramatic kids mad because their dad missed a play when he was saving the world...though I think as happy a note as the episode ended on there will be some bumps as it goes.

Seems like a lot of budget went into this episode so I am curious as to the quality of the rest of the season.
    How many episodes is this season? Can they keep this up for 22 episodes?

It's a short season- 13 episodes, I think. I know the CW increased the episode count.

If we're lucky, they will offer something that isn't as wheel-spinny as a season long Big Bad or as tedious as a main character Big Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Conduit and Bloodsport would be cool. I wouldn't mind Lex if it was like Imperious Lex.
    At first I thought this guy was going to be Eradicator. Which one is Imperious Lex?