Page 65 of 104 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Strong episode.

I still refuse to believe that Lois, great investigative reporter that she is, hasn't just figured out it is the girlfriend.

Finally Natalie and John development after 3 episodes off. Their new home base. Lets see where this goes!

Jordan....you can only do 1 right thing tonight, someone has to get hurt. Tough reality kid.

Lucy, Lucy, Lucy....I felt something was up. My thought was she had already merged and her shadow self was in control. Nope, just showing she is "all in" with Camp Ally.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Did they HAVE to give Nat's AI that fake, thick german accent? It was really distracting.

I'm not sure where they'll go with Lucy after this.

Jon continues being stupid, with poor Jordan having to cover for him.

Also, I did like the Kyle/Lana storyline, even though I'm probably in the minority with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Did they HAVE to give Nat's AI that fake, thick german accent? It was really distracting.
    LOL - was it German? I thought it was supposed to be French..? Either way, yes - it was bad and annoying. Why give an AI an accent - were they going for a Tony Stark reference/dig?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    LOL - was it German? I thought it was supposed to be French..? Either way, yes - it was bad and annoying. Why give an AI an accent - were they going for a Tony Stark reference/dig?
    I thought it was supposed to be Indian.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I clearly heard a more Scandinavian accent.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Thoughts on #SupermanAndLois s2e8 "Into Oblivion". Spoilers follow ...

1. Nat raging against Clark was a loooong time coming.

Honestly, if anything, the show having Nat just accept her new reality before having this conversation with Clark was a misstep this season.

Of course she is not going to easily get over her dead mom's doppelganger being married to her mom's killer's doppelganger, let alone move in with them like a big blended family all of a sudden.

Seems like the show kinda glossed over that initial shock when it should have had this confrontation in the 1st episode of the season.

Hopefully Nat can get past her current feelings about Clark, who is finally thinking about the big picture here.

2. So great to see Nat and John Henry Irons again.

Seriously, they elevate every SAL episode in which they're featured.

John Henry momentarily forgetting (due to recovering from his head injury) that this was not "his" Lois felt jarring but believable.

Also, this Clark really has no friends outside his family who know his secret, so I'm really glad Clark got them a nearby place of their own.

3. Jonathan may have turned a corner. He's still an enormous dummy for taking the metaphorical bullet meant for Drug-Dealing Candace. And at this point, I hope Candace does face a more severe comeuppance later on (she's so not worth this much drama). But Jonathan's heart is ultimately in the right place, even if his brain isn't.

4. Jordan made the right call. You hear your sibling in immediate trouble, you almost always have to bounce over there right away .

And it looks like Jordan gained some legit superspeed against the XK-ed Townie beating on Jonathan. Jordan is getting his superhero reps in, and put in a good showing. He was shades of The Red-Blue Blur from the TV show Smallville.

5. Domestic Lois has completely consumed Professional Lois.

Seriously, Beppo has now become the risk-taking embedded reporter that Lois used to be (and be much better at anyone). Has this Lois even written one meaningful story since moving to Smallville? Seems like all she does now is emotionally react to whatever is going on. Remains my biggest hangup with this otherwise enjoyable show.

6. Sarah continues to be naive. I get that everyone involved is a teenager, and teenagers constantly make dumb choices. But insisting on having your boyfriend and your affair hang out together is all kinds of stupid. Keep some circles separate. Still betting that Aubrey ends up with Nat instead.

7. Ally broke Sam. Who doesn't love an interrogation room scene? The Dark Knight had one, Man of Steel had one, Black Panther had one. They're so good for 1v1 verbal jousting.

Here we get Sam Lane losing it over the idea that Lucy might have perished in the mine. Like Lois, Sam is reduced to being defined only by his relationships and not his profession.

8. Anderson betrayed Ally in another zig where most shows would have zagged. Didn't see that literal power grab coming. I have no idea who the true big bad is going to be. Parasite? Granny Goodness? Darkseid? Someone else? No clue, at least for this particular season.

Speaking of villains, I was reminded there is one that stands out above all others, because ...

9. Evil Superman is still out there.

We only saw a glimpse of him this episode, but I believe he will be this show's overall final big bad.

He was there at the beginning of the show, he still hasn't been brought to justice for his heinous crimes, and he remains a completely terrifying mystery. He's the Evil Morty of SAL.

10. There doesn't seem to be any redemption left for Lucy after this.

You generally only get to betray the protagonists once (unless you're Loki, and you happen to have a brother with the godlike superpower of unlimited forgiveness ... or Tal Rho).

You generally don't get to fake coming around at the last moment, and then do the betraying. Lucy going to have to make the BIG sacrifice play to come back from this.

Bottom line: We've reached the halfway mark of Season 2. 8 down, 7 to go. This episode was uncomfortable, but in worthwhile ways. And it really moved the story forward.

The portal scene with the hazmat suits in particular was really well done and suitably creepy AF.

And I even didn't mind the Langs here, as they got relegated to much smaller screen time. Bring on Episode 9!

Btw, SAL just got officially renewed for Season 3. And apparently it's been doing really well on HBOmax too.

Grade: 8/10.

I don't know what show you all are watching that was a Boston Accent.

In current comics, it seems they introduced Leonardo Lane, the son of Sam Lane. Anyone think he might come onto the show?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post

In current comics, it seems they introduced Leonardo Lane, the son of Sam Lane. Anyone think he might come onto the show?
    I hope not. Bendis seemed to forget Lucy existed .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope not. Bendis seemed to forget Lucy existed .
    Oh, is that a Bendis creation? That explains why I never heard of him before.

I might want to retract my question then.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

The best CW DC show ever. Makes Flash and Naomi look like they were written in a middle school English class. The Kent kids so represent the social pressure and stupidity of the teenage hormone, Kohlberg stage 3 view of moral actions.

With this Clark, I can believe folks don't recognize him as Superman. General Nip Tuck Lane - really works in the job.

I really hope John Henry's condition doesn't worsen. All the scenes with Nat and Clark were great, and that Superman portal rescue scene was intense.

I don't like Candace, can we get rid of her already? Jordan is being a good brother to Jon, but at his own expense. I like seeing responsible Jon working at the store.

I didn't trust Lucy, but I still hope she can be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Jordan winning his first hero fight! All that training actually paid off. And he's wearing a hoodie to cover his face as all Superheroes without costumes must do. He's even ditching his girlfriend to do hero stuff, but considering how uncomfortable he was with meeting the girl who kissed Sarah, I don't really blame him.
    They grow up so fast. I wonder if Jordan will make it a habit of secretly stepping in to help people or if he will have to be more directly involved in bigger and bigger challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I still refuse to believe that Lois, great investigative reporter that she is, hasn't just figured out it is the girlfriend.
    She's probably at the top of Lois' list, but there are other people Jon could be covering for since he does have a healthy social life. Plus there's the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    She's probably at the top of Lois' list, but there are other people Jon could be covering for since he does have a healthy social life. Plus there's the coach.
    I hope football season ending doesn't preclude the return of Coach Gaines.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post

He could pop up on an alternate Earth.

Incredible Member

I enjoyed the show. But some things resonate more with me, than others.

I don't buy the rationalization about Jon and Candice. I mean how far down that
    road is Jon going? She's a drug dealer, who has done a number on his life, it is not
    as though he has any motivation to be with her through the end of time. You just
    hope that Jon at some point is going to start acting more like his namesake, to wake
    up and smell the coffee.

I too found the proposed date with Sarah and Aubrey more than a little weird. I know that
    Jordan is trying to hold that relationship together, but damn. I'm on record that Sarah will dump
    Jordan for Aubrey.

We haven't mentioned the mayoral campaign much lately. But it once again took up air time on the show.
    Just thought someone should point it out.

I saw the Lucy Lane maneuver, maybe not all of the particulars, but figured that brunch was never happening.
    I suppose Sam Lane was just hopeful that families can get past their differences. I've been there before. But
    still it seemed strange that Sam walked right into that one.

Clark needs to ramp it down a little with Jon. I know that Clark has a lot on his plate. But at some point it might
    be helpful if Clark tried to figure out what is going on with his son. It was nice to see Clark and Lois playful with one another.

I know that lots of people are really into John Henry and Natalie. But Natalie's character just seems annoying to me.
    I hope that we can see a little more of a dimension to her that is more engaging. I get the angry at alternative world Clark. But
    I'm wanting to see her doing more than simply lashing out at the adults on the show.

Astonishing Member

I don't buy the rationalization about Jon and Candice. I mean how far down that
    road is Jon going? She's a drug dealer, who has done a number on his life, it is not
    as though he has any motivation to be with her through the end of time. You just
    hope that Jon at some point is going to start acting more like his namesake, to wake
    up and smell the coffee.
    Having worked with young people, the snitch morality and hormone driven lust/infatuation is believable. The young don't think about the long term. The lack of development of the frontal cortex vs. the emotional systems is well known to produce such behavior.