Page 50 of 69 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast
Results 736 to 750 of 1024
  1. #736
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    Taking the Death of Superman Doomsday origin and putting Bizarro in the suit... I know, i know. Someone in the writing team wanted to pull the "beloved" subversion of expectations stunt. But now spelling it out it might have come out of a MAD magazine take on the show. Teasing Doomsday and doing something else is how not to subvert expectations; its how to disappoint. And since this Bizarro take looks kinda cool its a bit sad too they did not gave him something original.

    Still love the show overall & look forward to how it will play out.
    I mean, teasing one of Superman's worst villains and then switching to one of his best isn't a disappointing switch

  2. #737
    Astonishing Member LordMikel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It was indeed. And everyone said it was going to be Doomsday. Wonder what this Bizarro's origin is...
    I'm thinking it is full blown Bizarro World.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

    Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

  3. #738
    Legendary Member daBronzeBomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Usually at the End of Time
    Posts
    4,682

    Default

    Thoughts of #SupermanAndLois (SAL) s2e3 "The Thing In The Mines". Spoilers follow ...
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

    1. Let me me hear you say
    This shit is Bizarro: B-i-z-a-r-r-o.
    THIS SHIT IS BIZARRO! B-I-Z-A-R-R-O!

    What an absolute subversion of expectations.

    I, and just about everyone else, had it wrong: we're NOT getting Doomsday after all (thank goodness), we're really getting Bizarro, a significant upgrade in terms of antagonist storytelling potential.

    So happy with this bait and switch, which was masterfully misleading.

    2. John Henry Irons transforming in midair into his Steel suit for the fight with Not-Doomsday was awesome.

    The SFX on this show are used sparingly, but damn, when they show up, they show out. That scene was straight out of the MCU Iron Man movies.

    Also, sounds like Natalie is going to upgrade the look and power of her dad's suit going forward. Tips: We gotta see his face (Magneto style helmet?) and get the S on his chest (diamond or hexagon shape will do).

    3. Jordan again went through the emotional ringer.

    From stupidly wanting to tell Sarah about his powers, to witnessing a glimpse of his alien father's / Bizarro's rage, to stupidly giving away his grandmother (Martha)'s locket to Sarah ... well, at least he listened to Natalie and Jordan's advice. Speaking of which ...

    4. Loved all the interactions between Natalie, Jordan, and Jonathan.

    Natalie actually seemed like a long-lost sister to the brothers here. Great onscreen chemistry. I'm all for the 3 kids becoming a team of siblings under one (or more) roof(s).

    5. Sarah kinda sucks. She cheated, and felt entitled to forgiveness because she admitted the truth to Jordan. She's not worth Jordan's or Natalie's or the viewers' time, IMO.

    6. Lana got taken down by the very first challenge to her mayoral campaign.

    That cheeseburger-looking dude had her dead to rights: she can't use "I wasn't aware" as her go-to excuse everytime what she promises doesn't come to pass (like those reverse mortgages she sold in Season 1 that ended up costing Smallvillians their homes).

    7. Kinda getting tired of Lois continually blaming Sam Lane for having been a bad dad.

    Not that Sam doesn't deserve a lot of it, but it feels like we never get off this beat with them on this show. If he was truly all that terrible for Lois, then why has he remained an integral part of her life?

    If nothing else, he's still The Parent Who Stayed.

    8. Ally Allston is going to be The Real Big Bad of SAL Season 2.

    Turns out she is definitely from the comix, and not just a direct play on the disgraced Allison Mack from the Smallville TV show.

    I hope this rather frumpy look isn't her final form.

    9. I didn't think the first storyline to focus on Jonathan this season would be him breaking bad.

    Jonathan apparently trying to score performance-enhancing drugs (X-K) to boost his chances at football reads like something out of the early episodes of Smallville.

    I just hope we're heading somewhere more original than a clichéd brother vs brother showdown in the future.

    10. Clark is terrifying when angry.

    I get that he wasn't quite himself due to the sudden psychic link to Bizzaro, but him yelling separately at both Jordan and Jonathan was startling.

    11. Bizarro is an odd duck, both in terms of characterization and of popularity.

    He's usually got a sympathetic side, far more destructive than he is malicious. He's the best parts of Frankenstein's Monster mixed with Superman. This Bizarro seems to only speak Kryptonian and has a glowing necklace. But I suspect that will change.

    Bottom line: Better than both last week's ep and the s2 premiere. Thought we were getting Doomsday, and we got Bizarro instead. Great SFX where needed.

    Bring on the next episode!

    Grade: 9/10

  4. #739

    Default

    Bizarro and Parasite? Didn't see either coming.

    Really liking the show, just yeah hope Jon doesn't get hooked on drugs.

  5. #740
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I'm thinking it is full blown Bizarro World.
    This is my feeling as well.

  6. #741
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Also, sounds like Natalie is going to upgrade the look and power of her dad's suit going forward. Tips: We gotta see his face (Magneto style helmet?) and get the S on his chest (diamond or hexagon shape will do).
    Yes, the obvious damage to his chest just screams "S shield" with the upgrade. I don't think we'll get any kind of helmet that shows his face - it's just a lot less expensive during fights for his face to be covered. He is one case though where I'm happy to see him take off his helmet the second the action is over.

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Jordan again went through the emotional ringer.
    From stupidly wanting to tell Sarah about his powers, to witnessing a glimpse of his alien father's / Bizarro's rage, to stupidly giving away his grandmother (Martha)'s locket to Sarah ... well, at least he listened to Natalie and Jordan's advice.
    I haven't been too happy with how this story is going. I don't mind teen drama, but this is bad drama because of how they're acting. Jordan just has zero chill, getting way too deep, which can be written well but here it just seems for the sake of creating drama. Same with Sarah - talk about mixed signals. I thought maybe she was just feeling ambiguous about their relationship which is why she was stand-offish, but the second the plot needed her to, she's declaring without equivication that she wants to be with Jordan.

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Natalie actually seemed like a long-lost sister to the brothers here. Great onscreen chemistry. I'm all for the 3 kids becoming a team of siblings under one (or more) roof(s).
    Considering what a big deal they made about Natalie and Lois getting along, it seems to be overshadowed now by the Natalie/John tension and Lois's cult plot. I hope we see more Lois/Natalie growth and not just gloss over it like everything's fine now.

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Lana got taken down by the very first challenge to her mayoral campaign.
    That cheeseburger-looking dude had her dead to rights: she can't use "I wasn't aware" as her go-to excuse everytime what she promises doesn't come to pass (like those reverse mortgages she sold in Season 1 that ended up costing Smallvillians their homes).
    Even though everyone else was just as clueless, if not advocates for Edge it's realistic for people to find scapegoats. People just suck. ;p

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Ally Allston is going to be The Real Big Bad of SAL Season 2.
    Turns out she is definitely from the comix, and not just a direct play on the disgraced Allison Mack from the Smallville TV show.
    Yeah, it's difficult not to feel uncomfortable thinking about her during this storyline. Is this show almost trying to atone for the sins of the "Smallville" cast member? It's almost too real.

  7. #742
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    85,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I haven't been too happy with how this story is going. I don't mind teen drama, but this is bad drama because of how they're acting. Jordan just has zero chill, getting way too deep, which can be written well but here it just seems for the sake of creating drama. Same with Sarah - talk about mixed signals. I thought maybe she was just feeling ambiguous about their relationship which is why she was stand-offish, but the second the plot needed her to, she's declaring without equivication that she wants to be with Jordan.
    And everyone seemed to be putting the onus on the relationship problems on Jordan when Sarah was the one who kissed someone else. What, is Jordan just supposed to be okay with that because she claimed it didn't mean anything? Then why kiss someone else at all?

  8. #743
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And everyone seemed to be putting the onus on the relationship problems on Jordan when Sarah was the one who kissed someone else. What, is Jordan just supposed to be okay with that because she claimed it didn't mean anything? Then why kiss someone else at all?
    There are several double-standards at play. Sarah gets off the hook in a way a guy wouldn't, and if she had kissed another boy, the show would be less likely to let her off the hook.

  9. #744
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Teenagers do dumb things. They are finding their ways as approaching adulthood.

    There has been a lot of discussion regarding Jordan-Sarah. Personally, I don't blame
    Jordan for being annoyed. IRL if this happened Jordan's reactions were pretty mild.

    Jordan being annoyed, questioning their relationship isn't at all unusual.
    I'm more inclined to be critical of Sarah, than Jordan to be honest. I mean Sarah is the one who strayed.
    You do get the sense that it isn't completely settled between them. The locket seemed a way to get
    them together, but it may not last.

    Jordan does seem more confident this season.

  10. #745
    Astonishing Member protege's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Chandler az
    Posts
    4,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yes, the obvious damage to his chest just screams "S shield" with the upgrade. I don't think we'll get any kind of helmet that shows his face - it's just a lot less expensive during fights for his face to be covered. He is one case though where I'm happy to see him take off his helmet the second the action is over.


    I haven't been too happy with how this story is going. I don't mind teen drama, but this is bad drama because of how they're acting. Jordan just has zero chill, getting way too deep, which can be written well but here it just seems for the sake of creating drama. Same with Sarah - talk about mixed signals. I thought maybe she was just feeling ambiguous about their relationship which is why she was stand-offish, but the second the plot needed her to, she's declaring without equivication that she wants to be with Jordan.


    Considering what a big deal they made about Natalie and Lois getting along, it seems to be overshadowed now by the Natalie/John tension and Lois's cult plot. I hope we see more Lois/Natalie growth and not just gloss over it like everything's fine now.


    Even though everyone else was just as clueless, if not advocates for Edge it's realistic for people to find scapegoats. People just suck. ;p


    Yeah, it's difficult not to feel uncomfortable thinking about her during this storyline. Is this show almost trying to atone for the sins of the "Smallville" cast member? It's almost too real.
    Well, I don’t like “ cult” storylines to start with, so if this is lois’ big bad, I’ll pass thanks. Lucy still seems to be under her thrall, and Sam trying to stay neutral isn’t going to cut it.

  11. #746
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Well, I don’t like “ cult” storylines to start with, so if this is lois’ big bad, I’ll pass thanks. Lucy still seems to be under her thrall, and Sam trying to stay neutral isn’t going to cut it.
    My impression was that Sam has been enabling Lucy because he's so afraid of losing his tenuous grasp on her that he doesn't confront her and chooses to side with Lucy because he sees her as fragile as opposed to Lois, whom he sees as strong and doesn't need his support as much.(which has unfortunately damaged his relationship with her)

  12. #747
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

    8. Ally Allston is going to be The Real Big Bad of SAL Season 2.

    Turns out she is definitely from the comix, and not just a direct play on the disgraced Allison Mack from the Smallville TV show.

    I hope this rather frumpy look isn't her final form.
    She's from the comics, but this version seems to be an "in name only" take on the character thus far.

    After the villain Ruin (who was secretly Professor Hamilton) performed some experiments, two new Parasites debuted, one purple, the other green.[17] The two new Parasites were teenagers named Alex (the green Parasite) and Alexandra (the purple Parasite) who wanted to seek vengeance on the people who made their lives difficult. They were soon subdued by Superman after a battle. After attempting to escape from a metahuman prison, Alex was killed by an OMAC while his sister Alexandra escaped and joined the Secret Society of Super Villains under Alexander Luthor, Jr. (who was posing as Lex Luthor).[18] She is later one of the villains sent to retrieve the Get Out of Hell Free card from the Secret Six.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasi...xandra_Allston

  13. #748
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yeah, it's difficult not to feel uncomfortable thinking about her during this storyline. Is this show almost trying to atone for the sins of the "Smallville" cast member? It's almost too real.
    I think it's just a typical "ripped from the headlines" thing writers do. Then again, I felt the story from last season with Rho manipulating Lana was a reference to the Allison Mack scandal as well.

  14. #749
    Astonishing Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,634

    Default

    I just got caught up on the season. Watched all 3 newly available episodes and....they got me. Like everyone else it felt certain they were telegraphing Doomsday.
    I do recall both Doomsday and Bizarre being words dropped into conversation so in hindsight the writers did throw a bone.
    Very curious as to where/what this origin story is going to be. Is it tied to Morgan Edge? The DOD? Other? Why does Clark seem tied to Bizarro, that isn't something we've seen in print in any of the Bizarro iterations is it? Are they borrowing from a story I am unaware or just doing their own thing?

    Jonathan....Just Say NO!
    Jordan and Sarah putting things back together, well played.
    Natalie and John look like they are getting out of the barn and that Natalie is coming around to "new normal".
    Lana for Mayor seems to be the one thing to keep an eye on as far as "normal people drama", even more so than Jonathan.
    Lois' meeting in the diner went sideways. That woman is looking to whip it out and do some measuring with her. That was clear.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  15. #750
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I'm thinking it is full blown Bizarro World.
    But is Bizarro World another universe? I know that they're not going to show a cube shaped planet at any point, so kind of misses the fun then.

    I'm thinking it's somehow related to Krypton since he was in the X-Kryptonite mine. But beyond that, now clue. Still, mine full of rocks from Krypton, origin has to involve Krypton somehow right?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •