Page 92 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 1549
    Mighty Member

Feel really bad for John Henry that he has to keep on repairing his Steel suit.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I'm still wondering why they needed to have two boys in the first place.
    The writers were thinking "do we give his son powers or not?" And someone said "why not both?".
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Lois isn't doing too great and her family is obviously trying to do their best to take care of her. They're in the thick of her cancer now and every minute matters.

What a shock it would've been if John Henry had gone in immediately instead of afterwards, although I guess it wouldn't have ended that differently.

As much as it sucks that Lois is sick, having her be more in the background has really let Clark step up as a reporter which is something the early seasons neglected a lot. Oh and of course Lois taught a Master Class in reporting that is probably the first thing any rookie reporter should watch.

The elders of Smallville are fans of The Cure? How cultured!

It's nice to see Jon making progress in his own career even if his brother ended up making that more complicated. Although one of Jordan's first hero saves was Kyle in season 2, so feels like they're building on that.

Sam Lane having a date and Lois pushing him to go on it is probably one of the more surreal moments of the show. Well, that and Sam getting a moment with Lana, though I guess they can both relate as two people who were betrayed by their spouse.

There's the rub. Jordan feeling some sense of superiority over his brother because of his powers while Jon doesn't. It's been there for practically most of the series.

Chrissy learning that, yeah, it's rough accusing the kind and compassionate lady with cancer of being a criminal. Though it sounds like something happened to Peia in high school that really changed her. How she got her powers?

Jordan finally gets called "Superboy" in a relatively more official sense (though Jon was still having fun with it), though it seems like he's close to his public debut. Will this lead to Kyle finding out the truth about the Kents?

John Henry is trying to better get to know his AU Sister (and improve her security system while he's at it) and next thing you know he's realizing his daughter is dating the son of his personal nemesis. Although Manheim went really overboard after seeing him again. Bruno is a loving and affectionate husband and father but he's also a vicious criminal with too much pride to know when to take it down a notch.

Matteo can throw a punch!

Superman in the suit again! Even if he mostly just stands there and takes Onomatopoeia's blast until Peia's lungs give out. Ouch.

It's funny how the first time we hear Lex this season it's a faked voice of Peia pretending to be him so they could frame him for murder. I love how Clark managed to figure it out thanks to his encounter with Onomatopoeia and his reporter instincts. Although with this information they'll probably take down Manheim but in doing so release Lex for the one crime they had him in prison for...so that won't end well.

Pretty understandable tension between Clark and John Henry in this episode. Clark sees the humanity in the Manheims while John Henry can only see the criminals, Clark got to know them on a more personal level while John Henry can only think how they killed him on this Earth.

Nothing says modern star-crossed lovers like telling your daughter you can never see that boy again and taking her phone. Sucks for Nat and Matteo though.

Bizarro lives! I'm guessing Manheim will rope him and Atom Man into raiding the DoD to free Peia.

Sadly, it seems like the series might be coming to an end soon

https://bamsmackpow.com/2023/05/11/s...ewed-canceled/

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I've been very concerned that a S&L season 4 was not assured given the cancel happy nature of the WB owners.
    The Writers Strike may only make it an easier call.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Sadly, it seems like the series might be coming to an end soon

https://bamsmackpow.com/2023/05/11/s...ewed-canceled/
    Of course it is - I knew this the moment Gunn announced Superman was making a return to the big screen. DC/WB don't like to have their characters in a show and a movie at the same time.
    Shame though, I love this series, easily the best Superman content we've gotten in ages and just one of the best superhero shows we've ever gotten anywhere period.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Of course it is - I knew this the moment Gunn announced Superman was making a return to the big screen. DC/WB don't like to have their characters in a show and a movie at the same time.
    Shame though, I love this series, easily the best Superman content we've gotten in ages and just one of the best superhero shows we've ever gotten anywhere period.
    Might not even just be that, but the budget for this versus Gotham Knights.

Gunn also said it had 2 or 3 more seasons in in, which would make sense as it will take 2-3 years to get his Superman movie to the big screen. As it is, its looking more like since Gotham Knights is a cheaper show to produce, it may get saved.

If CW does cancel it, I hope that they are able to shop it around to another channel. Hell, put it on Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Might not even just be that, but the budget for this versus Gotham Knights.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Gunn also said it had 2 or 3 more seasons in in, which would make sense as it will take 2-3 years to get his Superman movie to the big screen. As it is, its looking more like since Gotham Knights is a cheaper show to produce, it may get saved.
    Y'all do bring up a good point on the budget. I don't know what this show costs vs the rest of the Arrowverse, but it been clear watching it that it's much better in visual effects and cinematography than the others, so it clearly has more money spent on it.

If CW does cancel it, I hope that they are able to shop it around to another channel. Hell, put it on Max.
    I don't think it'd be remotely safe on Max with cut happy Zaslav in charge.

Astonishing Member

I’m sad about the show ending but I gotta say if this is truly the last season. I’m satisfied. This is the best season of the show so far, and I think it’s best to go on a high note rather than overstay your welcome and drag things out and risk potential quality decline like we’ve seen with CW shows like say The Flash and Arrow.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

That was a really good scene between Jordan and Jon. It's hard to create organic tension between the two of them, but they're teenage brothers so they shouldn't be getting along the entire time. Ice cooling a fire doesn't necessarily point to Jordan (it could be Superman after all), so I'm wondering if Jordan is going to be even sloppier and Jon has to bail him out.

That Manheim is one brutal man. True to his word, I guess, but he immediately attacks John Henry when seeing him and he doesn't care about the context even a little bit.

So Lex was wrongly sent to prison thanks to Lois and Clark's reporting? Now there's a twist. Can't wait to see him now!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As much as it sucks that Lois is sick, having her be more in the background has really let Clark step up as a reporter which is something the early seasons neglected a lot.
    There was a lot they could have done with Clark in his professional life. Having him return to Smallville meant he could have leaned more heavily into the farmer thing. I liked him as the assistant football coach. We got to see more of clumsy Clark that way.

It really was. It broke out of the CW Superhero formula and went somewhere new with Superman.

Thoughts on #SupermanAndLois s3e08 "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner". Spoilers follow ...

1. That cold open.

I was wondering when and how much deeper we'd get into Lois' cancer treatment. Anyone who's ever had to care (however long or briefly) for a sick loved one will probably feel something strong here. Really well done sequence.

2. Lois not wanting to go after Bruno now that she's friends with Pia is ... not Lois.

Lois Lane traditionally doesn't have close friends precisely because she always single-mindedly pursues the truth at almost all costs (Clark's secret being the BIG exception).

I agree with Sam, that's effect of the cancer treatment talking for her there.

3. It's only when Beppo and Lana are talking to Clark that you're reminded a LOT of people on this show know his secret identity.

But it at least doesn't have like the dreaded CW-ness of "Team Flash". It doesn't feel forced at all. Also ... Clark likes The Cure? Very Gen X.

4. Is Jordan the a-hole here?

Yes. Yes he definitely is.

That confrontation with Jon was 2 years coming, ever since the pilot. Jordan was mean (to the point of thoughtless cruelty) but caught some karma at the end: his career as "Superboy" is suddenly in jeopardy because of his own carelessness.

5. Jordan at this point has so much over Jon that it makes me wonder what storytelling benefits are left by keeping Jonathan from having powers on this show.

Lois and John Henry don't have powers and they always manage to affect the storylines in different but meaningful ways. Hell, KYLE has been more interesting than Jon this season.

Season 1 Jon was refreshing (everything going for him despite no powers), Season 2 Jon flipped that, and now Season 3 Jon just feels pointless. Hopefully they have an interesting plan for him soon.

6. You know how we give Christopher Reeve rightful credit for playing the two sides of Kal so distinctly and so effortlessly ... well, Chad Coleman deserves similar praise here.

His Bruno Mannheim goes from convincingly loving family man to convincingly terrifying gangster in a heartbeat.

He seems genuinely interested in Nat and Matteo's relationship one minute to being ready to brutally murder John Henry the next.

7. Onomatopoeia putting her full power at work was impressive.

Shout out to the SFX crew: the way her jaw looked slightly unhinged while screaming at both Superman and Steel was freakily effective, bordering on body horror.

8. John Henry is pretty much this show's Batman now.

The disagreement between Superman and Steel about what to do with the captured cancer-ridden Pia felt like so many World's Finest arguments of the printed pages. I think Clark is wrong and John Henry is right.

9. Poor Nat.

All she wanted was a nice Meet The Parents dinner and instead she gets the rug pulled from under her. Her surprise at not being allowed to see Matteo afterward would be hilarious ... until you remember she's supposed to be only 16 years old. Then it makes sense.

10. Luthor corner!

So let me see if I have this straight: Lois sent Lex to jail based on captured testimony that she now finds out was false. Behind bars for 20 years, Lex still has his own luxury airline, still makes money, still has sway.

And now he's going to be released because of that false confession (done by Pia). Lois' single greatest professional feat about to be undone by being fooled by Pia's deception.

There's no way Lex doesn't murder Bruno in retaliation before this season is over, is there?

Bottom line: I enjoyed this episode. It moved the chains, so to speak, and got us farther along plotwise than any other episode this season.

Sucks that there is now another hiatus (for 2 weeks) before the next episode is released. And rumor has it that SAL is definitely leaving The CW after this season (hopefully to be picked up by HBOMax to finish the 4th and presumably final season).

Grade: B+

Was Lois moved downstairs to the same room where Martha died? That was my impression, which really made that sequence hit harder.

Incredible Member

Just recently got caught up on the last 3 episodes.

Had to laugh when Sarah called out Beppo for being 10 years younger than her dad, especially when folks on this thread had it pegged as the opposite!

Also of note, lot of folks on the thread like John Henry, but he gets a beat down of some sort every season! He has his moments, but feels like he's had more beatdowns than wins...

No doubt this show is cancelled soon (maybe even this week). It's not going to be picked up by anyone, as there's no place for it to go. HBO Max (soon just Max) is not an option. I'm not even sure why Gunn would allude to the show being "safe".

But looking forward to the remaining episodes of this season!

Mighty Member

So, Bizarro is the cure for Bruno's wife and Lois.