Page 30 of 103 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

I think he probably prioritizes what he thinks he has to handle with what he thinks emergency services or local law enforcement have a better chance of handling, but in this instance he felt like he could just go in there and resolve the situation immediately.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    I mean that's a huge ethical dilemma for Clark.

He basically knows everything going on on the planet subconsciously...but doesn't spend every waking moment saving lives. Yes, he has a right to his own life and time for himself, and i'm sure he interferes in the major events that would result in numerous deaths. But...that's cold comfort to the family of the single person who died when superman could've showed up to stop it.
    Well, Superman isn't God, he can't be at all place at once and even if he tried to save everyone, its only a matter of time before he psychologically and emotionally taps out regardless of his body still functioning at optimum level. He's a man after all. He likely uses triage when it comes to his saves and based on the time it takes for authorities/ first responders to show up. I'm sure he saves the odd cat stuck in the tree just for kicks every now and then on top of living his life as he should honestly.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

I was worried for a second there with Edge.

I thought he was about to hover up into the air and drop a 'Kneel.....' but, crisis averted.

Aside from that, good ep, as I have noted before I love the family aspect of this show and making that important above all else. They beef and have their little small disagreements and full on blow ups, but they come together in the end as most families do. Love that. I didn't experience that growing up and even as a man with a family now I struggle with that on a daily basis, so cheesy as it is, its just nice to see that.
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

The running theory on "Edge," in some corners, is that he's really H'El from the New 52 Superman comics, kind of an older brother figure to Kal-El, given that he regarded Jor-El and Lara as parental figures, only to turn out to be a bioengineered clone of sorts. At least, that's what I remember, and his big plan in those comics was to restore Krypton at the expense of destroying Earth, so if "Edge" does turn out to be H'El, it would seem he's being more insidious about it, using X-Kryptonite-exposed humans as vessels for the souls of bodiless Kryptonians that would otherwise remain trapped in the Phantom Zone.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The running theory on "Edge," in some corners, is that he's really H'El from the New 52 Superman comics, kind of an older brother figure to Kal-El, given that he regarded Jor-El and Lara as parental figures, only to turn out to be a bioengineered clone of sorts. At least, that's what I remember, and his big plan in those comics was to restore Krypton at the expense of destroying Earth, so if "Edge" does turn out to be H'El, it would seem he's being more insidious about it, using X-Kryptonite-exposed humans as vessels for the souls of bodiless Kryptonians that would otherwise remain trapped in the Phantom Zone.
    It would be kind of hilarious for this show to take one of the most unpopular New 52 concepts and make it actually work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nice to see Superman stopping some normal crime, albeit with some difficulty, and speaking Spanish .

So...I'm guessing Lucy doesn't exist anymore? Like, she never comes up in conversations between Lois and Sam when, logically, she would considering Lois' younger sister probably had it harder than Lois did growing up dealing with the same issues. I keep expecting them to bring her up, but they don't. Did they think this show had enough sibling relationship without needing to talk about Lois'? Or Sam would seem worse if he screwed up with two daughters? I dunno, feels kind of weird.

If you think Jordan getting lasered is rough, just think that Clark had to go through that alone when he was poisoned by Kryptonite .

This show has been so much about the two brothers that it makes sense that the main villain would end up being Superman's brother, or at least self-proclaimed, which I guess is a better twist than it just turning out to be Zod even if there's a lot of explaining they'll have to do. I don't think he's actually Clark's biological brother but it'll be interesting to see what happens now. Edge doesn't look like he's sporting the House of El crest, at least.
    I found it hilarious that the bank in 'Mexico' was the same bank that the Royal Flush gang knocked over in Arrow, and Clyde Mardon knocked over in the pilot of The Flash.

Lucy Lane *sigh*. I've had a problem with Lucy since she was made the Co-Director of the DEO in the season 1 finale of Supergirl, only to never appear again (this was because Jenna DeWan didn't want to go to Canada to film in season 2, like much of the supporting cast). the Arrowverse Producers seeming aversion to recasting characters has bitten them on the ass several times, especially on Supergirl.

But since they have recast both Edge and Sam Lane for this show, I'm hoping the lack of mentions is just due to time, and maybe a new Lucy will appear in Season 2. Or hell, Lucy was given Kryptonian powers in the comics, maybe Edge abducted her on the side and she'll be someone that Clark has to fight later on down the line.

It was probably worse for Jon- after all, he's only half Kryptonian.

Well, if they go with the conceit that Clark was the first natural birth in centuries on Krypton, Maybe Edge was a child of Jor-El and Laura that was created the traditional Kryptonian way.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It would be kind of hilarious for this show to take one of the most unpopular New 52 concepts and make it actually work here.
    Even funnier, Kara had a rather large roll in that story. So it could be the one time Superman could steal a Supergirl storyline.

When Lana described Edge's "work" as self improvement, I couldn't help but draw comparisons between the way Edge lured these people in and what NXIVM was revealed to have been doing.

I don't know why Sam didn't just say the kryptonite weapons were for other Kryptonians who weren't friendly to Earth. He even uses these weapons to neutralize the ones sent after Lois and Jon.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't know why Sam didn't just say the kryptonite weapons were for other Kryptonians who weren't friendly to Earth. He even uses these weapons to neutralize the ones sent after Lois and Jon.
    This. A very similar wording in my head.

Clark: Sam how could you build weapons to stop me?
    Lois: Dad this is unacceptable.
    *Rogue Kryptonians attack*
    Sam: I have to think ahead, looks like Clark isn't the last Kryptonian. Once Kara showed up it became clear he wasn't the last.

Also, unrelated of course, Batman also works to have a backup plan to take out Clark.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    This. A very similar wording in my head.

Clark: Sam how could you build weapons to stop me?
    Lois: Dad this is unacceptable.
    *Rogue Kryptonians attack*
    Sam: I have to think ahead, looks like Clark isn't the last Kryptonian. Once Kara showed up it became clear he wasn't the last.

Also, unrelated of course, Batman also works to have a backup plan to take out Clark.
    I think it's notable that Clark's reaction to this stuff is much more muted than Lois's or Jons.

He seems to recognize the need for it...but also struggles with the lack of trust shown. I think Lois and Jon's problem with it is more born from their love for Clark than an actual legitimate argument.
    Meanwhile Clark seems to have the humility to recognize the need for such weapons.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

True. Clark does seem to get it in the way of not lashing out at Sam.

In Sam's defense he did tell Clark that Level 5 was full of so much nasty stuff he should NOT go down there. So Sam didn't want him hurt.
    At the same time if something possessed Clark, you need to hold some Aces up your sleeve. Ergo, complete transparency is also an issue.
    Oh, the Rock&Hard Place dilemma.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

I think some have taken the use of the word "brother" by Edge too literally. While it could be biological, I didn't get the feeling of that in the context he used. Felt more like brother in the sense that they are from the same world and having that in common on a world where there are so few Kryptonians makes them "brothers".

I'm hoping Edge isn't Zod but I dig the reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I found it hilarious that the bank in 'Mexico' was the same bank that the Royal Flush gang knocked over in Arrow, and Clyde Mardon knocked over in the pilot of The Flash.
    I didn't even notice .
    Lucy Lane *sigh*. I've had a problem with Lucy since she was made the Co-Director of the DEO in the season 1 finale of Supergirl, only to never appear again (this was because Jenna DeWan didn't want to go to Canada to film in season 2, like much of the supporting cast). the Arrowverse Producers seeming aversion to recasting characters has bitten them on the ass several times, especially on Supergirl.

But since they have recast both Edge and Sam Lane for this show, I'm hoping the lack of mentions is just due to time, and maybe a new Lucy will appear in Season 2. Or hell, Lucy was given Kryptonian powers in the comics, maybe Edge abducted her on the side and she'll be someone that Clark has to fight later on down the line.
    They recast Sam, so at this point there's no reason not to recast Lucy other than to just ignore her existence.
    Even funnier, Kara had a rather large roll in that story. So it could be the one time Superman could steal a Supergirl storyline.
    Turnabout is fair play.
    Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    I think it's notable that Clark's reaction to this stuff is much more muted than Lois's or Jons.

He seems to recognize the need for it...but also struggles with the lack of trust shown. I think Lois and Jon's problem with it is more born from their love for Clark than an actual legitimate argument.
    Meanwhile Clark seems to have the humility to recognize the need for such weapons.
    I think for Lois and Jon the major reason they took it so hard was because of what was happening to Jordan as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    True. Clark does seem to get it in the way of not lashing out at Sam.

In Sam's defense he did tell Clark that Level 5 was full of so much nasty stuff he should NOT go down there. So Sam didn't want him hurt.
    At the same time if something possessed Clark, you need to hold some Aces up your sleeve. Ergo, complete transparency is also an issue.
    Oh, the Rock&Hard Place dilemma.
    This isn't exactly a spoiler, but now that we've had Lois throw her dad out of her life, only to let him back in at the end of the episode, I'm almost positive he'll be killed off by the end of the season. Probably saving Clark from the kryptonians when they try to take over earth. I kind of liked him, but his devotion to duty over family made him a tough character to root for.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    This isn't exactly a spoiler, but now that we've had Lois throw her dad out of her life, only to let him back in at the end of the episode, I'm almost positive he'll be killed off by the end of the season. Probably saving Clark from the kryptonians when they try to take over earth. I kind of liked him, but his devotion to duty over family made him a tough character to root for.
    I think that might be the point, that even if you can see where he's coming from, his seemingly single-minded focus on his duty to his nation over the wellbeing of his family isn't easy to square with a character most audiences or viewers would regard as "heroic." Granted, he's doing what he must, at least in his mind, and he's not entirely in the wrong for it, though on the personal level, it does kind of sting, to say the least, especially for people who've had real experience with parental figures who seem to care more about their jobs than their loved ones.
    The spider is always on the hunt.