Page 15 of 103 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I suppose Clark is too moral to just go grab some sunken, ancient, treasures and pay off the farm’s mortgage (as well as other folks in town). It would be a neat gag for Lois to suggest it, though.

Oh, and I nominate Dean Cain as a Superman-media alumnus to stop by, as Kyle's father. their characters seem to have a similar outlook.
    Two problems with that:

1. He was already cast as Jeremiah Danvers on Supergirl

2. His politics have made him persona non grata, to the point that Jeremiah was killed off as almost an afterthought after being ignored for 3 years.

I hope that Smallville plots are not rehashed. The show needs to go way beyond that. I would also prefer that there be no surprise villains-- that is, no villain who shows up should be brand new to Clark. Even the ones we've "never" seen on screen yet like Mongul, etc.

Maybe they have more flexibility on the 21st century comics new villains.. But I'd be disappointed if Doomsday or Metallo showed up and Clark had no clue...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope that Smallville plots are not rehashed. The show needs to go way beyond that. I would also prefer that there be no surprise villains-- that is, no villain who shows up should be brand new to Clark. Even the ones we've "never" seen on screen yet like Mongul, etc.

Maybe they have more flexibility on the 21st century comics new villains.. But I'd be disappointed if Doomsday or Metallo showed up and Clark had no clue...
    Metallo was on Supergirl, Superman teamed with MM to fight one while Kara & Alex fought a second Metallo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I hear you about Clark's demotion, but 1) this is a story that almost certainly would never have been in a movie and 2) this show looks pretty damn good.

One thing did annoy me, though: I'm tired of a character making a hissy fit over not being told someone is a superhero. Doesn't anybody ever put themselves in the other's shoes just once in these situations?
    1) This is also a story I didn't particularly need to have on the screen but 2) you're right, it is shot very well.

Eh, usually I would agree, but in this case it kind of makes sense - they're teens and just found out their dad has had this secret all their lives and they're half alien.

Mighty Member

I hear you about Clark's demotion, but 1) this is a story that almost certainly would never have been in a movie and 2) this show looks pretty damn good.

One thing did annoy me, though: I'm tired of a character making a hissy fit over not being told someone is a superhero. Doesn't anybody ever put themselves in the other's shoes just once in these situations?
    Yes Laurel Lance in Arrow season 2 after Slade told her Oliver was the Arrow. She took it like a grownup and Slade’s planned distraction failed.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Yes Laurel Lance in Arrow season 2 after Slade told her Oliver was the Arrow. She took it like a grownup and Slade’s planned distraction failed.
    And Thea in season 3.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    You're absolutely right, though it's one of those rare times it has happened.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And Thea in season 3.
    Thea was always crying about Ollie keeping secrets from her, so I'm not giving her a pass there.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Just watched it. I loved the episode, but one thought I had, "Hallmark called, they want their writer back."

Was it just me, or did Jordan seem to have on too much makeup? My wife says it was our TV and the lighting.

I was slightly surprised by the end, I thought it might have been Jor-El.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Just watched it. I loved the episode, but one thought I had, "Hallmark called, they want their writer back."

Was it just me, or did Jordan seem to have on too much makeup? My wife says it was our TV and the lighting.

I was slightly surprised by the end, I thought it might have been Jor-El.
    At the bonfire he had a heavy layer of red lipstick and rouge on his cheeks. It really stood out.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I haven't watched it yet but from what I've seen, why is the colour tone so muted on this show and so sombre. Plus, it has that sickly green filter running through it that I hate. I don't know about the actual story and characters but is it really too much to ask for a Superman that is bright and colourful? I enjoy Hochler's Superman (though not as much as Routh's Superman) but, come on DC, enough with sombre Superman. It doesn't work.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I haven't watched it yet but from what I've seen, why is the colour tone so muted on this show and so sombre. Plus, it has that sickly green filter running through it that I hate. I don't know about the actual story and characters but is it really too much to ask for a Superman that is bright and colourful? I enjoy Hochler's Superman (though not as much as Routh's Superman) but, come on DC, enough with sombre Superman. It doesn't work.
    The story itself wasn't sombre. There's more to sombre than a color tone/palette.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    The story itself wasn't sombre. There's more to sombre than a color tone/palette.
    that's good to hear. Genuinely. But then why use this colour pallette at all? It just seems like such an odd choice.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    that's good to hear. Genuinely. But then why use this colour pallette at all? It just seems like such an odd choice.
    Why not? It can do more than harken to sombreness - I felt they were going for a more reflective, introspective take than a bombastic action take, hence the color choice. Instead of representing something out of Snyder's films, here the color choice has more to do with trying to ground this in "mature family drama" than most CW hero shows - as well as a more cinematic "beautiful" take on shots. Least that was my take. Ultimately there's more to passing that mark than color choice, and certainly other ways to highlight it - but I can see why they chose the coloration that they did. Muted colors, like brighter/poppier colors mean different things in different films and shows. Just because we're most familiar with it from MoS/BvS doesn't mean they are only evocative of the tone those movies had.

I would definitely give the episode a watch to judge how it all comes together as a whole.

I honestly didn't know what to make of this show, so maybe I just had low expectations going in, but wow, that was really good. I guess so as to not be Smallville or even Supergirl, they made their main character more mature and gave him kids. Granted, the kids can still have their drama thing, but even the score didn't seem to want to come across as hip or modern at all.

So Jonathan is named after Jonathan Kent and Jordan is named after Jor-El. I wonder if his middle name is "Ellis"? I kind of figured there was going to be some sort of twist when they weren't sure who saved whom in the barn, but I thought maybe the powers were going to be split between the two boys. Interesting that Sam Lane knows the truth about Superman but Lana doesn't. Why isn't Lana married to Pete Ross? Oh, right, so her husband can be a total jerk.

Speaking of Sam, I guess we can forget everything from the Sam we saw on Supergirl. I was expecting Kara to make a few brief cameo or something to wish the Kents luck and kind of pass the torch, but I guess not. It's probably for the best that there were no direct connections to the Arrowverse in the first episode. And getting rid of the Daily Planet frees us from any weird Post-Crisis timeline/age stuff when it comes to Perry, Cat, and Jimmy. Although if any already established Arrowverse character shows up on this show, I'm pulling for Mr. Mxyzptlk.

In hindsight, keeping Clark's rocket under a barn seems a little...ill-advised. Like, shouldn't they have taken it back to the Fortress or something? I get the sentimental value, but still. If two kids could find it, anyone could. And what's with that crystal? Is that supposed to be one of the data crystals that taught young Clark about Krypton?
    It may not be the brightest idea, but maybe Clark didn't want to keep all his Kryptonian artifacts in one place. If something happens to the Fortress, everything would be gone.

I feel like Jon has more reason to not want to move to Smallville because of his football career and girlfriend, but couldn't Clark hypothetically fly him to school on mornings?
    That probably wouldn't work long-term if Jonathan's girlfriend wants to come over...or even if he needs to list a home phone number/address for anything. I assume with money being an issue, they can't keep their place in Metropolis.

Let's assume that when Clark flew to show Lois, she took it very well and was completely understanding and sympathetic.