Page 21 of 104 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

It's a whole new timeline, you have to stop treating anything Pre-Crisis as more than Broad Strokes.

Remember, even Tommy freaking Merlyn is alive again. This alone renders large portions of Arrow S1 null and void. Both sons were said to exist in the ending of Crisis. That is enough for me. Allthough it does seem quite detached so far, yeah. But given that COVID still prevents any crossovers, it might be for the best so far.

Kara not being mentioned is probably the biggest omission but we are getting a Diggle appearance.

Incredible Member

Both kids should have powers. At least enough to slightly above normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Privacy issues aside, I think personally I'd love it if my Superhero dad was listening in to me in case I ever needed help, and with Jordan's issues it's probably more pronounced (and how many times has Clark listening for Lois probably saved her life?), but I guess it can come off a tad stalker-y .

I guess for all the drama of the Kent family we have the Lang/Cushing family who are, in Sarah's own words, a dumpster-fire. Kind of wondering what direction this family is going to go into because it seems like Lana is as lost as her daughter is, but at least they came together by the end.

Jon is the Superboy we want but maybe not the one we deserve as he continues being the best and supportive brother to Jordan even when the cliche (and maybe understandable) direction for him would be to become bitter and resentful towards his brother.

It's a good thing Sarah broke up with her boyfriend because it didn't seem like Jordan had any plans to stop pursuing her.

Jordan seems to have enough control over his powers to not hurt anyone and he actually made up with Sara's ex-boyfriend, so that ended up going better than I was expecting. But will it stick that way? Let's not forget when he let loose Heat Vision unconsciously during stress.

Once again further evidence that Jordan's powers only seem active or noticeable in proximity to Jon. Would that practice have gone differently if Jon had not been there?

That coach is kind of a jerk for making Jon run laps just for not mentioning his brother can play well (which, up to this point, he never would have thought was possible).

I was honestly expecting Lois to take over that paper but she is still ostensibly just an employee for Chrissy who has final say.

I see Jordan plays fighting games other than Injustice 2. Maybe it feels weird playing that game knowing his dad and his friends are in it. Although that attack Superman did on the bad guy looked like an Injustice 2 super move.

Kara uses her Freeze Breath pretty sparingly, so I'm glad Clark is making good use of his instead of defaulting to Heat Vision. It was nice to see Clark use his powers creatively to win the fight after brute force failed instead of needing someone to tell him what to do or the DEO to give him a device or a full team to win. Superman doesn't need any of that stuff.

So...is Edge using Kryptonians or is he using people genetically modified to have Kryptonian powers?

Assistant Coach Clark Kent is the best. I love it. And it gives him an excuse to be there for the boys at school and monitor them without needing to listen in on their conversations. Also him faking struggling with the water cooler was hilarious .

Mighty Member

Getting a terrifying feeling that Sam Lane is going to place his own grandson in that "special" school for metahumans he referred to in this episode.

Fantastic Member

What will happen when they test Jordan for steroids? Will his blood register as normal?

Some takeaways from "Superman & Lois" season 1 episode 4 (spoilers)
    1. The single most attractive trait that Lois Lane has consistently possessed since 1938 is her complete willingness to be unpopular in pursuit of her goal.

And this Lois is no exception, standing up to everyone in her way, even when she gets muzzled by legal action. We got a lot of Lois this episode, and that's a good thing.

2. Thaddeus Kilgrave. Now there's a deep cut. In the comix, his shtick was being a runty criminal mad scientist inventor, back when Lex Luthor was way more entrepreneur than scientist. If Lex is an A-list supervillain, Kilgrave is D-list. The explosive chewing gum escape was very Bronze Age Luthor, tho.

3. Ah, the old grandparent undermining the parent routine. Sam Lane is going to be a problem. Dude was a straight-up villain in the comix, and here he is definitely not that, but I'm good with the fraying relationship between him and Lois and Clark. His role is a cross between what Alfred Pennyworth and Jim Gordon are to Batman while being far more conniving than either of them.

4. I dislike Superman being at all tight with the military. It always plays right into the "government stooge" aspect that I hate seeing brought up. It works for now, because he's mostly playing defense, but feels like that may change soon.

5. I do like the ballcap and glasses look for Clark. It's a natural fit, and makes it even slightly more of a disguise for Superman. Kinda hope that look gets tried out more in the comix.

6. Thunderclap! It's not just for the Hulk. Great use of that super ability. And I'm glad they showed him at least trying to use superspeed in battle.

7. The boys: Jordan is popular thanks to football, now buddies with his former bully, and getting closer to Sara.

Meanwhile, Jonathan is becoming almost a martyr, still benched but still looking out for everyone. He's going to break soon.

8. Clark saving his sons' mutating classmate by flying him past the nighttime clouds to calm him down was beautifully shot.

9. Morgan Edge and killer hench just found a cave full of kryptonite. And Lana might become their unwitting tool. And Kyle isn't a 100% dbag after all.

10. So now everyone has noticed Superman isn't flying over Metropolis nearly as much anymore. That makes me a little bummed out.

I really hope that Metropolis somehow becomes a big part of this show at some point. Smallville is cool, but really isn't the heart of the mythos.

Next week: Captain Luthor returns!

Grade: 7/10.

Clark can't be at all places at all times, so obviously concessions are going to be made when he has to juggle being a husband, father, and Superman all day and at all time because they're all basically 24 hour jobs. And I guess he's still got farming and assistant coaching to do on his "off hours."

So is Edge's plan to create an army of Kryptonian's? Is that what that Kryptonite is for? Are the people of Smallville genetically capable of getting Superman's powers from exposure, like that kid got his super-speed?

Sam's doing his best but Lois (and probably Lucy) know how much he bungled on the parenting front because he was too committed to his job and feels like Clark should do the same. It was nice to see Lois finally take him to task though. I wonder what games she had? Volleyball? Baseball?

Jon's trying to make his place but now Jordan is the big man on campus and feels like he can take on anything, and is relishing being happy and and having a place to call his own. Which is great, it just leaves Jon a little in the lurch and without much for him to do other than support other people to the best of his ability.

I love how Edge only took offense at Lois calling his accent fake .

Killgrave felt like a mix of Luthor, old school Emil Hamilton, and even a dash of Toyman. And now Supes has Intergang in the background to worry about and while he's not as present in Metropolis as he used to be.

Kyle's not completely awful. He does seem to care about Lana and his family, and obviously Smallville, even if he can be inattentive (and doesn't seem to realize how much Morgan Edge might want to get into his wife's pants). But he seems to be trying at the end, and Lana reveals that he even respects Lois despite how he acts around her. I have to wonder how rare a makeout session between the Cushing's is with their kids...

So, yeah, looks like the government had contingencies in-case they could never rely on Superman, at least on this Earth, because I'm assuming Captain Luthor is planning to use it as a way to kill Superman.

I sure do miss the good old days when the government trusted Superman, and he didn’t have all these problems. It may have been boring, but also comforting. And Sam lane is rapidly joining Jacob Kane on my “ want to like him, but can’t because he’s a douche,” list.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    4. I dislike Superman being at all tight with the military. It always plays right into the "government stooge" aspect that I hate seeing brought up. It works for now, because he's mostly playing defense, but feels like that may change soon.
    I see that Superman can't support the military without being a stooge. Was it really that big of a deal?

I mean, he plainly said to Sam that he doesn't work for him. What he does with Sam is basically just a courtesy.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I sure do miss the good old days when the government trusted Superman, and he didn’t have all these problems. It may have been boring, but also comforting. And Sam lane is rapidly joining Jacob Kane on my “ want to like him, but can’t because he’s a douche,” list.
    Sadly, I think it makes a lot more sense for the government to distrust Superman and want him on a leash or at least "on call," since the government --- being what it is --- would never trust anyone or anything with more power than itself. It's why we get stuck on arcs dealing with "registration acts" for superpowered individuals in the Marvel Universe, as an example.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, he plainly said to Sam that he doesn't work for him. What he does with Sam is basically just a courtesy.
    I like the idea that Clark is just too enlightened to care who lets him know about threats to the world. He's not doing Sam any favors, he just saves lives and never felt a need to spell out to Sam that he doesn't "work for him" until now. w

Ultimate Member

I wonder if the school for kids with powers is a real school or just some sort of prison or lab to experiment on them...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I wonder if the school for kids with powers is a real school or just some sort of prison or lab to experiment on them...
    I suspect it's the latter.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I suspect it's the latter.
    Could be both, like the Initiative in the post-Civil War Marvel Universe where young metahumans could be trained to use their powers as super-soldiers defending the country, but were also subject to testing and experimentation for the sake of assessing the extent and combat utility of their abilities, not to mention whether or not those abilities could be neutralized or otherwise counteracted if the trainees got out of control or went rogue.
    The spider is always on the hunt.