Page 25 of 104 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    That could be good, assuming he can ever see that this Earth's Superman isn't like his Earth's.
    That's what I was getting at. As another poster said, I don't see him as evil, just misguided. So if he does become an ally, I can see him as Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    How would people feel about Captain Luthir becoming the CW version of Steel?
    Why not Booster Gold? He's just as much John Henry Irons as he is Booster. I would want to see John Henry Irons show up at some point rather than have some Lex Luthor show up to take his identity.

This was a good episode, pretty much continuing and developing the themes and stories that were established. The one thing that bothered me a bit was when characters don't say the most obvious thing. As much as Clark was trying to reign in Jordan, they made it contentious when it didn't need to be, because Clark didn't emphasize the real important thing is that Jordan could have hurt someone. Jordan would have seemed a lot more selfish if he fought back against the idea of protecting others. But then we wouldn't have gotten Clark's great scene at the end where he expresses that it's always difficult for him to control even himself, and that he acknowledges how precarious it is to maintain the people's trust.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Why not Booster Gold? He's just as much John Henry Irons as he is Booster. I would want to see John Henry Irons show up at some point rather than have some Lex Luthor show up to take his identity.
    Well Steel is an African-American tech based hero, who was inspired by Superman and is one of his main allies. Booster Gold is a white, futuristic tech based hero interested in his own fame and is often the butt of jokes. I'd say Luthor is closer to the former than the latter, especially since my idea is about him becoming a hero/ally. There's also the fact that Lex actually did similar in the New 52 when he starting wearing the "S" symbol to honor Superman. This would be a combination of these two ideas (Steel and Hero Lex.)
    Last edited by 80sbaby; 05-19-2021 at 08:14 AM.

Astonishing Member

I definitely seem them working together to stop Edge and his evil machination with X-Kryptonite, what happens after is the real question so I hope we can keep Cpt Luthor (I don't think he's Lex) and yes I think he's closer to Steel than Booster aso combining those two ideas isn't a bad idea. In fact I welcome it.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Great episode. The one thing that was never said but is meant with Jordan is "YES you meant to".
    You didn't mean to break Jonathan's hand only because you couldn't predict he'd step in to your punch. Your punch, with all the force behind it that broke his arm WAS meant for that arrogant MHS football players face though. That is what Clark means when they talk about control but no one ever actually says: Jordan you were going to shatter his jaw at the least, yes you meant to harm.

The Lois & Capt Luthor scenes were great. Loved the opening by the way. There is just something so classic about Superman and trains. Excellent imagery there.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Superman chasing Tag is probably as close as we're going to get to a Superman and Flash race for a while. I do want to see this show use Barry though because I feel like they could probably do a great job with Flash away from his own show where he can only effectively give pep talks.

I get Tag is a confused kid but if not for Superman he could've killed everyone on that train...

Sam really leaned hard into the General Lane persona here where he's willing to kill a kid with unstable powers to protect his family and the country, and that obviously gets Clark concerned. Also doesn't sound like the DoD facility with powered kids is all that wholesome.

Got a lot of Secret Origins vibes with Jordan struggling with his Heat Vision and Super-Hearing together at school. I guess Tag's punches kicked his powers in somehow? Is it the X-Kryptonite effect?

Jon's ex moved on quick.

I mean, Jordan's an emotional and kind of bratty kid, but I get why. He's had emotional anxiety his whole life, has been picked on constantly, and suddenly has powers that are turning his life around. Is it any wonder he would be so willing to give in to self-satisfaction and his base emotions? He didn't have the benefit Clark did of growing up with them from the start and building up a level of restraint and control that Clark still has to keep on top of even after years and years of being Superman.

How long is this show going to punish Jon for being the best brother? He finally gets his chance to be a quarterback but his attempt to stop Jordan lands him in a cast and could have quite possibly killed his football chances. It's like nothing is going right for him on this show...which is probably intentional to build him up, but still.

I can't think of a better Superman "dad" moment than containing his son's heat vision with his hand.

I can actually see where Kyle is coming from and why the Lang/Cushing's are so willing to give Edge the benefit of the doubt when it doesn't seem like the town has a real alternative. I'm glad Kyle was able to get over himself and be proud of his wife and treat her, even if Lana helping Lois probably won't do their marriage any favors.

Obviously Captain Luthor's masquerade doesn't hold up long while he's working with Lois Lane. I wonder how long Edge is going to leave Lois alone with how much she knows now. I mean, she saw the X-Kryptonite and that his assistant has powers. I guess she doesn't have any evidence, but it's definitely a liability.

I saw some people speculate Jon was able to use super-speed to catch Jordan's hand in time before the punch happened and it interrupted the slo-mo. Could that be possible? I thought for a second his own strength kicked in since it seemed like they were setting up a "powers" moment but he's obviously not invulnerable.

So does the government know Tag's powers are Kryptonian based? Why would they even bring Kryptonite bullets to begin with otherwise?

I think this is the most ticked we've seen Hoechlin's Superman. He really did not like getting shot with Kryptonite bullets that he then immediately shrugs off because he's Superman. It's never a smart idea to shoot Superman.

There's just too much going on for Clark to properly deal with. Tag and the DoD, his wife's investigation getting her almost killed (but that's the usual), his kids' problems...

Clark saying how a reporter having a ray gun doesn't make sense reminds me of Lois having that Hellbat gauntlet during the Rebirth run.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can't think of a better Superman "dad" moment than containing his son's heat vision with his hand.
    I'd also add, as a Dad moment, the disapproving look and comment he gives when one of the boys calls the other kids "dicks" and later D-Bags. Those were also subtle nods to dad moments I liked.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Superman chasing Tag is probably as close as we're going to get to a Superman and Flash race for a while. I do want to see this show use Barry though because I feel like they could probably do a great job with Flash away from his own show where he can only effectively give pep talks.

I get Tag is a confused kid but if not for Superman he could've killed everyone on that train...

Sam really leaned hard into the General Lane persona here where he's willing to kill a kid with unstable powers to protect his family and the country, and that obviously gets Clark concerned. Also doesn't sound like the DoD facility with powered kids is all that wholesome.

Got a lot of Secret Origins vibes with Jordan struggling with his Heat Vision and Super-Hearing together at school. I guess Tag's punches kicked his powers in somehow? Is it the X-Kryptonite effect?

Jon's ex moved on quick.

I mean, Jordan's an emotional and kind of bratty kid, but I get why. He's had emotional anxiety his whole life, has been picked on constantly, and suddenly has powers that are turning his life around. Is it any wonder he would be so willing to give in to self-satisfaction and his base emotions? He didn't have the benefit Clark did of growing up with them from the start and building up a level of restraint and control that Clark still has to keep on top of even after years and years of being Superman.

How long is this show going to punish Jon for being the best brother? He finally gets his chance to be a quarterback but his attempt to stop Jordan lands him in a cast and could have quite possibly killed his football chances. It's like nothing is going right for him on this show...which is probably intentional to build him up, but still.

I can actually see where Kyle is coming from and why the Lang/Cushing's are so willing to give Edge the benefit of the doubt when it doesn't seem like the town has a real alternative. I'm glad Kyle was able to get over himself and be proud of his wife and treat her, even if Lana helping Lois probably won't do their marriage any favors.

Obviously Captain Luthor's masquerade doesn't hold up long while he's working with Lois Lane. I wonder how long Edge is going to leave Lois alone with how much she knows now. I mean, she saw the X-Kryptonite and that his assistant has powers. I guess she doesn't have any evidence, but it's definitely a liability.

I saw some people speculate Jon was able to use super-speed to catch Jordan's hand in time before the punch happened and it interrupted the slo-mo. Could that be possible? I thought for a second his own strength kicked in since it seemed like they were setting up a "powers" moment but he's obviously not invulnerable.

So does the government know Tag's powers are Kryptonian based? Why would they even bring Kryptonite bullets to begin with otherwise?

I think this is the most ticked we've seen Hoechlin's Superman. He really did not like getting shot with Kryptonite bullets that he then immediately shrugs off because he's Superman. It's never a smart idea to shoot Superman.

There's just too much going on for Clark to properly deal with. Tag and the DoD, his wife's investigation getting her almost killed (but that's the usual), his kids' problems...

Clark saying how a reporter having a ray gun doesn't make sense reminds me of Lois having that Hellbat gauntlet during the Rebirth run.
    Speaking of that DoD facility, who wants to bet it'll turn out to be something like Project Cadmus's depiction in Justice League Unlimited where it's actually training and grooming powered kids into superhuman weapons to be deployed by the U.S. military against anyone or anything that is (perceived to be) threatening U.S. interests? And speaking of JLU callbacks, who's also reminded of Superman's "I live in a world made of cardboard" speech to Darkseid, when Clark is explaining to Jordan about how difficult it can be, even for him, to control his anger and other emotions, but he knows he has to, if he doesn't want to hurt people unintentionally with all the power he has?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Anyone else thinking that, possibly by the end of this season, Jon will get ahold of some X-Kryptonite to give himself powers?

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Anyone else thinking that, possibly by the end of this season, Jon will get ahold of some X-Kryptonite to give himself powers?
    Or it'll unlock his latent powers.

^^^^^
    This. Then there will be the inevitable arc where Jordan gets jealous cause for once he was the "favored" son. He goes off the deep end in a rage. They have to calm him down, rehab him etc etc.
    Jonathan takes strides to being more like the comic version of himself over a few seasons.

Arrow Re:

My friend reviews the latest episode of Superman & Lois -

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Just caught up with this show and it's been great! I've enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

The cinematography is, well, cinematic. The visuals of Smallville remind me of a movie rather than a TV show. And in terms of writing and acting, this breaks out of the CW Arrowverse 'formula' we've had going since 2012. No 'Super-Team' sitting at the Fortress on comms. No sidekicks accompanying Superman on the field. No relationship drama and angst. No quips and jokes for the heck of it. Don't get me wrong...I love the Arrowverse, but I'm glad this show stands apart from these CW-isms.

I love the Lois and Clark marriage as it's portrayed here. They both come across as mature and experienced individuals whó're trying to do the best they can for their family and for the world, and who are there for each other while giving each other their space.

I think this is one of the best interpretations of the classic 'Boy Scout' take on Superman. Episode 6 in particular does a great job explaining why Clark restrains himself so much as Superman.

The two boys are really interesting and well-acted. I was worried I'd be bored by all the attention they take up on-screen but quiet the contrary - their story is one of the more gripping parts of the show. I binge-watched Jupiter's Legacy not long ago which gives us a very different (and darker) take on being the kids of Superman. Here we get to see the sons of the real Superman who isn't a sanctimonious jerk and truly wants what's best for his kids as individuals, and not just as potential heirs to his legacy.

Jonathan interests me a lot. He reminds me of the Joel Kent character from Superman/Batman Generations - another son of Superman who doesn't have powers while his sibling does. Makes me wonder if Jonathan goes down a similar path to what Joel went in that story...So far, he seems to be nothing but a supportive brother to Jordan, but as he keeps losing more and more things to Jordan, it makes me wonder how long this harmony will last. And yeah, there's the possibility he might have powers of some sort or is linked to Jordan's powers somehow. Though honestly, I hope they don't rush into giving him powers too soon since I think there's a lot more story potential to be mined right now in him being powerless.

Sam Lane is also clearly on the path to becoming a villain of some sort, much like pretty much every other version of him. This is the one thing S & L seems to have in common with the other Arrowverse shows right now - the authorities as antagonists targeting the heroes in some way.

On the whole I'm hooked. I dare say this might be one of the best adaptations of Superman ever for me (along with MOS, STAS and the Donner movies).

Part of me hates Jordan, but I get it, he's a teenager who is adjusting to the fact that he went from having little power to having lots of power. I like his struggle, even though I think Jonathan and Clark are more sympathetic in having to deal with the problems Jordan is causing. I liked that log thing Clark had to unleash his strength on.

Man, I loved everything about how Superman looks when he's angry and has his heat vision ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    How would people feel about Captain Luthir becoming the CW version of Steel?
    I think it's important that Steel be his own character and one who is born out of the Death of Superman, but I would like Luthor to become a hero after realizing this Superman is heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    There is just something so classic about Superman and trains. Excellent imagery there.
    Agreed. He is more powerful than a locomotive, after all.

That thought hadn't occurred to me, and it felt more like reflex on Jon's part. Although I think if they do show that Jon has had powers all along, I could see that they've been hinting at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And speaking of JLU callbacks, who's also reminded of Superman's "I live in a world made of cardboard" speech to Darkseid, when Clark is explaining to Jordan about how difficult it can be, even for him, to control his anger and other emotions, but he knows he has to, if he doesn't want to hurt people unintentionally with all the power he has?
    That was such a great moment that I think about it often whenever Superman has to keep his powers in check.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    The cinematography is, well, cinematic. The visuals of Smallville remind me of a movie rather than a TV show. And in terms of writing and acting, this breaks out of the CW Arrowverse 'formula' we've had going since 2012. No 'Super-Team' sitting at the Fortress on comms. No sidekicks accompanying Superman on the field. No relationship drama and angst. No quips and jokes for the heck of it. Don't get me wrong...I love the Arrowverse, but I'm glad this show stands apart from these CW-isms.
    The best episodes of the Flash feel like everything I want from a superhero TV show, but I agree that too much CW-isms ends up feeling too formulaic. Superman and Lois breaks from the formula and proves that it can be its own show and a great show at that.

It's unreal how good this series is, especially compared to the dumpster fire of this years batch of Black Lightning and The Flash.