Page 28 of 104 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

This show is head and shoulders as compared to what is going on in Flash and Supergirl. The plots are so much more sophisticated. Flash specializes in the Stupid Barry hour and Supergirl in latest socially correct interactions. Nothing wrong that for the characters but I don't care. The Superman cast are much better actors than the other shows except for Tom C. Arrow was tops and Superman matches it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    This show is head and shoulders as compared to what is going on in Flash and Supergirl. The plots are so much more sophisticated. Flash specializes in the Stupid Barry hour and Supergirl in latest socially correct interactions. Nothing wrong that for the characters but I don't care. The Superman cast are much better actors than the other shows except for Tom C. Arrow was tops and Superman matches it.
    As I posted on another one of these CW threads, you're comparing those shows now with this show's first season. The first couple of seasons of The Flash and Arrow were damn good, while Supergirl wasn't too shabby, either. Those three shows started having a more bumpy ride after that. Will Superman and Lois be able to avoid that? Only time will tell, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Despite having no powers himself, Jon can't resist being curious to the point it almost kills him until Superman comes in to save him at the last minute. He's certainly his mother's son! Lois yelling at Jon was harsh and painful to watch, but given what she reveals in therapy, it's understandable why she feels that way. And to have John Henry Irons' Lois have a daughter with the same name our Lois was going to give her daughter...wow.

I was worried John Henry Irons was going to go all bloodthirsty with that kryptonite spear thing, but ultimately, he thought better of it.
    During the spear scene, I was almost expecting a "Martha" moment, but in this universe it would be "Natalie." It wasn't quite like BvS, but Lois did mention her name - I have to imagine this was a bit of a nod to that other universe.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    During the spear scene, I was almost expecting a "Martha" moment, but in this universe it would be "Natalie." It wasn't quite like BvS, but Lois did mention her name - I have to imagine this was a bit of a nod to that other universe.
    I seriously doubt the writers give much of a thought to the movies.

This reminds me of when two different articles assumed a line Young Justice season 3 was a jab at BvS.

It's nice to see more Superhero shows embracing the need for people to have therapy and seek counseling. It's especially poignant when you see someone like Lois who is so strongly independent and a workaholic so it's not always easy for her to open up, especially for something so intimate and personal.

I guess if they're humans possessed by Kryptonian's, they're still Kryptonians? Feels like there's still an important distinction there. I guess Edge only ends up with five because so many of them burn out and can't control their power. Is the reason Tag wasn't possessed because he didn't get exposed to that much X-Kryptonite or do you need to be in that machine?

Jon learning an important lesson about being the team normal from a fellow team normal while also learning it's not smart to play around in an antagonist's personal vehicle.

So the Superman from John Henry's Earth used the black suit before going evil? I guess in-context it was foreshadowing he'd end up being his Earth's doom.

Probably smart not to bring up to the boys that there was only one of them before all the Multiverse shenanigan's that lead to there being two.

I'm honestly kind of shocked a military official was, even initially, willing to use enhanced interrogation tactics. Like...aren't those banned now? Clark wasn't actually going to let them do that, right?

They've played around with Clark and Lois having a daughter in a few different continuities, but I wasn't expecting the reveal that there technically was an Earth-1 Natalie and it ended up in Lois' miscarriage. The show went really deep there, but I feel like they handled something so sensitive, realistic, and traumatic as well as they possibly could. I was kind of surprised that it happened after the boys were born because before it sounded like she had the miscarriage before they conceived Jordan and Jon.

Clark took his father-in-law having developed several different kinds of weapons to kill him better than I was expecting. I mean, obviously there's some trust issues there, but Clark was respectful about it and just didn't want to be lied to. I did find it kind of funny just how many Kryptonite weapons the military has developed. Usually Batman just has a sliver as his contingency but the army has weaponized Kryptonite in every way possible. I wonder if they had Lex consult on it...

Kyle was doing great, but learning his wife lied to him and denied him his dream job caused him to bail on his daughter (and implied he went on another bender). Not cool, Kyle .

Jordan's making progress out of the friendzone. The flowers may have been a bit much but that look Sarah gave him when he brought out his old piano skills to help her with the talent show spoke wonders. Is Jordan going to go back to piano now?

I thought for a second John Henry was actually going to live with the Kents, which would've been really weird, but I wonder if he's ever going to learn about the whole "Clark Kent is Superman and married to Lois with their children." Would that be too much for him to mentally process?

Now John is a hard traveling hero exploring Kansas in his teched out RV. I wonder if he won't come back until near the season finale? Maybe in full Steel mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I seriously doubt the writers give much of a thought to the movies.

This reminds me of when two different articles assumed a line Young Justice season 3 was a jab at BvS.
    Why would you doubt it? It's a very famous scene. Perhaps it's a coincidence that Superman was on the ground, weakened by Kryptonite with a hero whose personal losses and fear of Superman's destructive power and dubious intent provoked him to attempted murder, standing over him poised to strike with a Kryptonite spear until Lois intervenes by invoking the name of a dead female member of his immediate family, a name shared by someone Superman also lost. But perhaps not. I don't think it's crazy to think it might have been a reference.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-03-2021 at 07:02 PM.

Why would you doubt it? It's a very famous scene. Perhaps it's a coincidence that Superman was on the ground, weakened by Kryptonite with a hero whose personal losses and fear of Superman's destructive power and dubious intent provoked him to attempted murder, standing over him poised to strike with a Kryptonite spear until Lois intervenes by invoking the name of a dead female member of his immediate family, a name shared by someone Superman also lost. But perhaps not. I don't think it's crazy to think it might have been a reference.
    Wow, when you put it that away the reference seems even more obvious...

Why would you doubt it?
    Because sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Besides, I doubt the writers of this show are looking to the DCEU for ideas given that this show doing the opposite of anything the movies did is a selling point for so many people.

Regardless of whether they meant it or not, I hope it's not a sign of yet another DC show having their Batman expy. I'd rather John Henry Irons be John Henry Irons.

And did it seem odd to anyone else that Gen Lane just let him go? Jon made the point, but I don't know that we got a good enough answer.

Regardless of whether they meant it or not, I hope it's not a sign of yet another DC show having their Batman expy. I'd rather John Henry Irons be John Henry Irons.

And did it seem odd to anyone else that Gen Lane just let him go? Jon made the point, but I don't know that we got a good enough answer.
    I guess they decided he wasn't really much of a threat. The only person he was after in the first place was Superman and Lois talked him out of that.

Ultimate Member

I got the impression from the scene where General Lane is describing his arsenal of Kryptonite weapons to Superman that he knows he is on thin ice with Superman (and his own daughter) and looked not just obnoxious and defensive and self-justifying, which I expected, but also a smidge guilty and a bit wary about it. Like he knew he was approaching a line.

He *might* have ended this episode not willing to get into *another* confrontation with Supes quite yet...

And, if he's completely gone down the Amanda Waller track, he might A) be kinda okay with another potential anti-Superman weapon being out there that he can tap at some future date, and / or B) be playing a longer game and be considering abducting JHI later, when he's safely far from Superman, to add his amazing tech and intel to his own little arsenal...

Yeah, I think it's reasonable to assume letting John Henry go was a mea culpa after the Kryptonite weapons.

Astonishing Member

If Supergirl is in this show's continuity (I read a reference was deleted), the shenanigans of Kryptonians on her show, the existence of many Kryptonians now in space, it only makes sense that governments and armed forces prepare to deal with them. So Kal shouldn't be so upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    If Supergirl is in this show's continuity (I read a reference was deleted), the shenanigans of Kryptonians on her show, the existence of many Kryptonians now in space, it only makes sense that governments and armed forces prepare to deal with them. So Kal shouldn't be so upset.
    Not to mention that one time where Superman was dosed with Silver Kryptonite and attacked Supergirl. He should realize he could have just as easily attacked Lois (a'la Injustice).

It's almost getting hilarious how little this show acknowledges Supergirl .