Page 34 of 103 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    When lois said john i was thinking of steel(john henry irons).
    I'm pretty sure she was talking to John Henry Irons. But John Diggle will also be in the next episode.

Red face

My buddy reviews the latest episode. Like me, he adored it -

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I have to admit, that Fortress building scene was pretty impressive for a TV show. Like, the Fortress is still kind of too basic for my liking (like it's literally a cave anyone could walk into? Not even a door with the key that only Kryptonians can use? I mean, it wouldn't have helped with Edge, but still) but it was still cool to see that and Clark learning about his Kryptonian heritage. Like, it's a hallmark of the origin but they handled it well.

Nice mix of MoS and Donner Superman with Jor-El training Clark in his powers for years and the utter sheer joy on Clark's face when he finally flies. Did Clark skip college completely, though?

Martha should probably have warned Clark about Lana getting married, but I guess she felt he needed to see it for himself. Actually did a good job making Lana and Kyle look convincingly young here, and was that an old picture of Emmanuele Chiriqui they used for her yearbook?

I saw the phone booth when Clark was running to do the shirt rip and thought to myself "Oh, this is just a nod to the phone booth because they probably think audiences would find it too ridiculous for him to change in a phone booth"...and then he changes in the bloody phone booth! That was honestly my most hype moment of the episode.

It was nice to see Tyler Hoechlin get to play the classic Clark Kent. He handled it really well without going as cartoonish as I remember his initial introduction in Supergirl. He's really come a long way from that one appearance.

I really liked what we saw of Perry here, brief as it was. So he was the guy from the pilot who introduced Clark to Lois like I thought, here they just solidified an actor they can, presumably, still use in flashbacks or show Perry is still alive and just retired. I hope we can see more from him.

Lois is so often known for the reporter who gets Superman exclusives or is super tight with him, so having her be kind of resentful that Superman is stealing attention away from the human interest stuff she specializes in was pretty refreshing and makes Clark becoming enamored with her more poignant.

I'm glad they mentioned Jimmy even if it was weird he wasn't there with Clark and Lois investigating and taking pictures. I agree with Vordon that he should've been there doing the pictures like Clark was and setting up the iconic trio. At the same time I guess they didn't want to step on Supergirl's toes at all because they're avoiding anything to do with that show and anyone in it. I wish they could just reboot Jimmy.

I'm surprised they never mentioned Lex at all. Like, not even a "Superman battles Lex Luthor" nod.

So Lois is a paper reporter and a broadcast reporter? Is that common? Or was it just for the Superman interview?

That was a classy way of working in "...and the American Way" without having Superman outright say it because of how much more complicated that phrase is these days. And it made sense that Superman would not want anyone to peg him down as being born in the US. Plus, he knows every language because of course he does .

Clark's reaction to listening in on Lois saying she's not interested in Superman, is in love with Clark, and then when she realizes he's heard everything she's saying...was absolutely priceless.

You know the creators love Superman when they bring in something from Smashes the Klan. I would've liked a more involved fight with Atom Man, and I'm kind of surprised that taser was effective through his helmet, but it was still pretty cool.

I thought something was suspicious when that blur popped up, but I assumed it was Edge spying on Superman in his early years, not actually spying on his memories.

I love how Clark tells Lois he forgot to tell his dad about their marriage. Like, he honestly felt he had to tell Jor-El about it. And it was sweet up until the AI Jor-El freaks out and tries to warn Clark.

Poor Lois wanting a girl and knowing what happened with Natalie .

Jeez, Edge crushed the Jor-El crystal! Can they rebuild it? And the Fortress got trashed. I kind of hope this does lead to a better Fortress for season 2.

"Uncle Edge." Ha, that's funnier than I expected.

Kyle has really come full circle as a character. Like, probably most people really disliked him initially but now he's acknowledging his own fault in what happened, apologized to Lois, and accepted responsibility. He's really come around. Is it too much to hope he'll quit drinking too?

Edge hitting Superman where it hurts...his family. Although I also hope that "I needed more time" is indicating some kind of plan like when Barry peaked through Bloodwork's possession to stop him.

Edge really does contrast with Clark in every way possible. Clark is a baby, Edge was a human. Clark lands in the US, Edge lands in the UK. Clark is warmly received by humans, Edge is hunted and experimented on. Clark's Fotress is in the Arctic, Ede's is in the desert. Clark's Holodad is kind and sympathetic, Edge's is basically Kryptonian Palpatine (no wonder Lara wanted nothing to do with him). Jor-El trained Clark, Edge's dad tortured him. Clark became a down-to-Earth reporter, Edge became a businessman.

So are we to assume that the Superman from John Henry's world was possessed and brainwashed like our Superman? He didn't genuinely turn on the Earth but was forced into doing it?

Oh hey, John Diggle! Y'know, they probably could have used a Green Lantern to fight Edge.

Astonishing Member

This episode was the best piece of Superman media I’ve seen in many years. Bravo to the writers and actors on this accomplishment.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    This episode was the best piece of Superman media I’ve seen in many years. Bravo to the writers and actors on this accomplishment.
    Indeed, it was great but then again the entire series has been top-notch (thus far), IMO. Bravo to everyone involved on a job well done.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It's an interesting twist on their old dynamic that Lois wasn't the one focused on Superman or even Superman stories. She saw them as a distraction from "real news." Although it was a bit of a cop-out that she mentioned wanting to report on systemic issues but ... it's about a super villain in a mask anyway. half-credit on that attempt.

Astonishing Member

As much as I dig this episode, it reminded me just how dumb the idea of a smart investigative reporter like Lois not being able to immediately figure out that Clark Kent and Superman are the same person is. Especially when she was up close with him for a interview and got a closer look at his face. A whip smart journalist like Lois would’ve figured out Superman’s identity fairly quickly. I would’ve not have mind if they had Lois already figured out it before Clark told her and was only waiting for Clark to be feel comfortable enough to reveal it himself.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 06-24-2021 at 10:12 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I saw the phone booth when Clark was running to do the shirt rip and thought to myself "Oh, this is just a nod to the phone booth because they probably think audiences would find it too ridiculous for him to change in a phone booth"...and then he changes in the bloody phone booth! That was honestly my most hype moment of the episode.
    The funniest thing is how many of us have actually been in a phone booth in this century. I haven't used one since the '80s myself. Sometimes the nod towards tradition gets a little silly, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    As much as I dig this episode, it reminded me just how dumb the idea of a smart investigative reporter like Lois not being able to immediately figure out that Clark Kent and Superman are the same person is. Especially when she was up close with him for a interview and got a closer look at his face. A whip smart journalist like Lois would’ve figured out Superman’s idea fairly quickly. I would’ve not have minded if they had Lois already figured out it and was only waiting for Clark to be feel comfortable enough to tell her.
    At least pre-COIE Clark changed his voice and height in the comics (and even on the radio and in some cartoons), so it was at least plausible. But I have never bought any of the rationalizations in more recent years myself.

Nice mix of MoS and Donner Superman with Jor-El training Clark in his powers for years and the utter sheer joy on Clark's face when he finally flies. Did Clark skip college completely, though?
    "Uncle Edge." Ha, that's funnier than I expected.
    Kyle has really come full circle as a character. Like, probably most people really disliked him initially but now he's acknowledging his own fault in what happened, apologized to Lois, and accepted responsibility. He's really come around. Is it too much to hope he'll quit drinking too?
    So are we to assume that the Superman from John Henry's world was possessed and brainwashed like our Superman? He didn't genuinely turn on the Earth but was forced into doing it?
    Forgive my editing, but I'm going to respond to a few of your comments:
    -- Considering Clark speaks all languages, it's safe to assume he got a very good education at the fortress. For all we know, he might have also done some travelling during that time - I'd hate to think he was all alone with holodad there the whole time.(like how we originally thought Ollie was on the island the whole time) But this makes me wish for a bit of the silver age "genius Superman" where he's shown to be just as well-versed in the sciences and history, etc as he is in languages.
    -- Morgan's supervillain name: "Edge Lord" ;P (he certainly looked it as a teen (unless he was just doing a Slytherin cosplay))
    -- While I'm glad Kyle apologized to Lois, I still want him to have an opposing viewpoint. I think it's important to show someone from Kansas displaying red state ideals the way he did at the beginning, but show us that he's not terrible and that they can still get along despite political differences.
    -- I wouldn't assume John Henry's Superman was also coerced. It might have been that without Lois and a family,(we don't know if he was Clark Kent there, so maybe no Ma and Pa) he simply became more susceptible to Morgan's way of thinking. I hope they do show us.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-24-2021 at 08:57 AM.

I thought Hoechlin did a good job of conveying Superman with a different voice and posture compared to his Clark.

I thought Hoechlin did a good job of conveying Superman with a different voice and posture compared to his Clark.
    IMO, he was much more believable than Christopher Reeve was. The latter was entertaining and humorous when necessary, but he might as well had a sign above his head stating "I'm really overdoing this clutzy/dorky thing so you absolutely, positively don't think of me as Superman!"

Incredible Member

I LOVED this episode so much! Loved every minute of it. The show has been so surprisingly good.

I suppose it's fitting that after having Man of Steel bungle the Clark/Lois/Superman dynamic (Lois basically never gets to meet Clark Kent!) that I would absolutely love this interpretation. They added their own twist on it with Lois not interested in reporting on Superman but still managed to be true to the essence of the characters. And they did it as almost a partial clip show! I also got my answer to why Lana was never let in on Clark's secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Talk about a stark difference between Edge's dad and Jor-El.
    Yeah, really. I knew Kryptonians could be arrogant and even evil (like Zod), but this guy was just slimy.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I can appreciate how this show essentially followed the Donner film origin where Clark is young when he goes north and creates the Fortress, and doesn't actually come back until he's a man. It would explain how nobody from Smallville recognizes Clark is Superman (since he didn't put on the glasses until he got to Metropolis) but it will always be a bit silly that Lois can be fooled by a pair of glasses - nobody since Reeve has been able to pull off actually seeming like two different people as Superman and Clark.
    To be fair, many interpretations of Lois (like in the Adventures of Superman show) have her strongly suspecting that Clark is Superman but never finding evidence.

Going by his Daily Planet interview...possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The funniest thing is how many of us have actually been in a phone booth in this century. I haven't used one since the '80s myself. Sometimes the nod towards tradition gets a little silly, IMO.
    They even made it seem silly in the 1970's movies. I had a phone booth inside my high school back in the 90's, but I don't know if I've ever been inside one that's just out on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    -- Morgan's supervillain name: "Edge Lord" ;P (he certainly looked it as a teen (unless he was just doing a Slytherin cosplay))
    So he's like an updated Superboy Prime?

I just hope the brainwashing doesn't take too long to reverse