Page 57 of 104 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Thoughts on #SupermanAndLois s2e6 "Tried And True". Spoilers follow ...

1. Dug the opening flashback montage of Bizzaro on his world. The musical accompaniment to the kinda trippy visuals was pretty cool, but I still have questions.

Was that world's Clark always the only one there with the chalk-white Bizarro skin and glowing eyes? Or did he start "normal" and get changed to become that way? And he deliberately himself into that Doomsday containment suit to traverse the two universes?

2. Second straight SAL episode with neither John Henry Irons nor Natalie Irons. And their combined absence is definitely felt here, and it's for the worse. They bring elements to the show that aren't replaceable.

Especially considering who else got to eat that extra screentime as a result is ...

3. Can this show please pull a collective Poochie on the entire Lang/Cushing/Cortez family?

Say they died on their way back to their home planet or have them all just move away to start a new life in Bludhaven or somewhere. I don't care for any of the four members of that family and now resent them for taking time away from my more favorite characters. Not invested at all.

4. The Lane family reunion went from tense beginning to joyful dinner all the way back to tense ending.

I really liked seeing Lucy interact with literally anyone other than Lois. It was weird how much of a Fun Aunty she could be when she wasn't harboring a grudge. Like she's not just a brainwashed cult flower.

5. Getting a little tired of seeing only Domestic Lois and not nearly enough of Professional Lois.

Feels like too often Elizabeth Tulloch gets relegated to being someone's daughter, sister, wife, or mother. She needs way more balance.

I mean, Domestic Clark still gets to be Superman every episode. Hopefully going forward, Lois gets to remind everyone who The World's Greatest Journalist actually is on a regular basis.

6. Jonathan continues to sink deeper with no end in sight. Once the perfect son, now the problem child as the role reversal between the brothers gets more dramatic.

I did like that Jon felt his greatest football game ever felt "fake". Metahumans really shouldn't compete against regular humans in sports. Calls to mind why I hated it when writer/artist John Byrne remade high school Clark into a stud quarterback who had no idea he was an alien until he was 18 in the comix. Glad that's long since been retconned.

7. Jordan completely did vanquish his established anxiety disorder, eh? Really feels like something he should be managing it (and not always successfully) instead of being "cured" of it.

Problem-Free Golden Boy Jordan is kinda not all that intriguing, and the implication that his emerging superpowers were the answer to his mental difficulties is tone-deaf at best.

8. Lt. Gen. Anderson is shaping up to be exactly the kind of antagonist the Superman mythos have always needed but never quite had: the high-ranking paranoid government patriot. Actually, they had this with Sam Lane in the comix, but imo that was never a good fit.

With Anderson, I can get his side of it: He got chewed out by his commanding officer (missed her name) in front of his subordinate, then got chewed out (and slapped) by the grieving mother of his slain soldier in front of Superman, and on top of all that, to find out that Supes already secretly had the killer Bizarro in his custody?

Well, that's just a very bad day for the general.

9. Clark can brawl.

One frequent knock on Superman from his haters is that he is all powers, but no skills That's always been false, but when it comes to fighting, Clark is a naturally gifted brawler.

And it showed in the pretty cool sequence where he had to take on all those trained armed soldiers while being drained via red solar radiation. Mortalized Clark was kicking ass against those goons before finally getting shot with a kryptonite bullet.

Also, appreciated how this exactly mirrored the fight sequence with Bizarro against his own world's troopers (and a super-powered Lana).

10. This egregrious betrayal by Anderson hopefully ends the working relationship between Superman and the government.

There should always be some degree of mistrust on both sides: the government doesn't want a Superman flying around that isn't under their thumb, and Superman has zero interest in being under the government's thumb as their tool.

Bottom line: Despite the many complaints of this episode, I still liked it. Superman saving those Russian villagers from that avalanche was a great visual use of his powers and a timely message that Kal-El serves ALL humanity, not just America.

And bring back Steel!

Grade: 7.5/10.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

1. Dug the opening flashback montage of Bizzaro on his world. The musical accompaniment to the kinda trippy visuals was pretty cool, but I still have questions.

Was that world's Clark always the only one there with the chalk-white Bizarro skin and glowing eyes? Or did he start "normal" and get changed to become that way? And he deliberately himself into that Doomsday containment suit to traverse the two universes?

2. Second straight SAL episode with neither John Henry Irons nor Natalie Irons. And their combined absence is definitely felt here, and it's for the worse. They bring elements to the show that aren't replaceable.

Especially considering who else got to eat that extra screentime as a result is ...

3. Can this show please pull a collective Poochie on the entire Lang/Cushing/Cortez family?

Say they died on their way back to their home planet or have them all just move away to start a new life in Bludhaven or somewhere. I don't care for any of the four members of that family and now resent them for taking time away from my more favorite characters. Not invested at all.

4. The Lane family reunion went from tense beginning to joyful dinner all the way back to tense ending.

I really liked seeing Lucy interact with literally anyone other than Lois. It was weird how much of a Fun Aunty she could be when she wasn't harboring a grudge. Like she's not just a brainwashed cult flower.

5. Getting a little tired of seeing only Domestic Lois and not nearly enough of Professional Lois.

Feels like too often Elizabeth Tulloch gets relegated to being someone's daughter, sister, wife, or mother. She needs way more balance.

I mean, Domestic Clark still gets to be Superman every episode. Hopefully going forward, Lois gets to remind everyone who The World's Greatest Journalist actually is on a regular basis.

6. Jonathan continues to sink deeper with no end in sight. Once the perfect son, now the problem child as the role reversal between the brothers gets more dramatic.

I did like that Jon felt his greatest football game ever felt "fake". Metahumans really shouldn't compete against regular humans in sports. Calls to mind why I hated it when writer/artist John Byrne remade high school Clark into a stud quarterback who had no idea he was an alien until he was 18 in the comix. Glad that's long since been retconned.

7. Jordan completely did vanquish his established anxiety disorder, eh? Really feels like something he should be managing it (and not always successfully) instead of being "cured" of it.

Problem-Free Golden Boy Jordan is kinda not all that intriguing, and the implication that his emerging superpowers were the answer to his mental difficulties is tone-deaf at best.

8. Lt. Gen. Anderson is shaping up to be exactly the kind of antagonist the Superman mythos have always needed but never quite had: the high-ranking paranoid government patriot. Actually, they had this with Sam Lane in the comix, but imo that was never a good fit.

With Anderson, I can get his side of it: He got chewed out by his commanding officer (missed her name) in front of his subordinate, then got chewed out (and slapped) by the grieving mother of his slain soldier in front of Superman, and on top of all that, to find out that Supes already secretly had the killer Bizarro in his custody?

9. Clark can brawl.

One frequent knock on Superman from his haters is that he is all powers, but no skills That's always been false, but when it comes to fighting, Clark is a naturally gifted brawler.

And it showed in the pretty cool sequence where he had to take on all those trained armed soldiers while being drained via red solar radiation. Mortalized Clark was kicking ass against those goons before finally getting shot with a kryptonite bullet.

Also, appreciated how this exactly mirrored the fight sequence with Bizarro against his own world's troopers (and a super-powered Lana).

10. This egregrious betrayal by Anderson hopefully ends the working relationship between Superman and the government.

There should always be some degree of mistrust on both sides: the government doesn't want a Superman flying around that isn't under their thumb, and Superman has zero interest in being under the government's thumb as their tool.

Bottom line: Despite the many complaints of this episode, I still liked it. Superman saving those Russian villagers from that avalanche was a great visual use of his powers and a timely message that Kal-El serves ALL humanity, not just America.

And bring back Steel!

I agree, the Cushings are boring please bring back the Irons family.

9. Clark can brawl.

And bring back Steel!

My first thought is 'Well, maybe Steel will break Clark out of prison.' But then I remember how injured he is, and I think his suit is dead. Then I think, 'Well, maybe Natalie debuts her own suit...', but that wouldn't make sense. I would LOVE it if his cousin came and helped him out, but we all know THAT won't happen for a number of reasons.

Great episode. Looking forward to Kal working together with his brother next episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    yeah i want to fast forward through their scenes. I imagine it might get more interesting if Lana or Kyle get sucked into the cult now that they are at their low point. But I'd much rather see more of how John Henry and Natalie are doing. Liked the Superwoman tease though.

Considering how many people on this show know Clark is Superman, it's a shame we don't get to see enough of Hoechlin putting on his Clark act. It was funny seeing him not only slip into that with Lucy, but Jon and Jordan being now in on it. Lucy was great with the boys, too. I hope she and Lois can repair their relationship.

The flashback with Bizarro in the beginning was eerie, but then to parallel it with Superman at the end made it even more unsettling.

Man, poor Lana. I like that she took a long thought process and weighed her options. Also talking to Clark about it. I like that he gave her an honest answer about Lois hypothetically cheating on her rather than just dismissing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I have to admit it always surprises me when the boys' powers don't act up during a game and cause an incident, but I guess that would be too big for the Kents to keep quiet.
    Well, there was that one time during practice when Clark had to catch Jordan's heat vision in his hands.

Well, at least Tyler Hoechlin had the guts to publicly say something about the Arrowverse debate. And I agree with his answer.

TL,DR: He treats SAL like it's a clean slate from Supergirl.

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/superman...ng-arrowverse/
    That seems more like he's talking about Pre-Crisis Supergirl continuity, which is a good thing to let go of. But Post-Crisis? That's another matter.

Superman the Animated Series had General Hardcastle.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Superman the Animated Series had General Hardcastle.
    I knew I recognized that last name! If I recall correctly he was involved in creating Galatea.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Animated History of General Hardcastle.

https://dcau.fandom.com/wiki/General_Hardcastle

I like how the beginning fight mirrors the ending fight.

Incredible Member

It's been several late nights for me this week. I only had time to watch the show last night.
    Thoughts:

I wasn't surprised to see Lana put Kyle on the curb. It was rather sad. But what choice did Lana
    really have? Kyle has burned bridges with his family for years. I don't feel sorry for him to be honest.

I have been unsure how the Kryptonite has been manifesting Jon Kent's powers. Does Jon really have
    them or does he just have the ability to move a little faster, throw things like a football well, glowing red eyes. Is
    the drug like what Hourman uses? I hope this gets explained at some point.

It was inevitable that Jordan put the pieces together. I think part of Jordan's disappointment was that he felt like
    it would be cool if we shared having powers. Now, it feels like this is all just fake.

The Lucy Lane interactions with Lois were about what you would expect. Lois was just not going to let Lucy
    get away with the wounded sister act. At some point, Lucy was going to storm off.

The concluding scene with Superman dragged off to jail was very powerful. It is hard to see how Superman's
    relationship with Anderson survives. I mean there is no way that Clark just lets that go?

Mighty Member

I miss John Irons already.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    Ding ding ding.....co-signed!!!

Mighty Member

9. Clark can brawl.

And bring back Steel!

Very well said.... Co-signed!!!

Incredible Member

Minor question.

Does anyone know who did the song and its name at the beginning of the show? It was during the Bizarro section
    when we saw his home planet.

I'd like to hear the whole song. We only got a tiny portion of it.
    Last edited by RobinGA; 03-04-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    Minor question.

Does anyone know who did the song and its name at the beginning of the show? It was during the Bizarro section
    when we saw his home planet.

I'd like to hear the whole song. We only got a tiny portion of it.

"Tried and True" by Ween.

Incredible Member

Thanks very much. I will go check them out.

I've never heard of Ween.